BTAC 2012

Old Lamplighter
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

At this morning's event there were 75+ people lined up (again 1 bottle per customer.) I recognized maybe 1 out of 10 from the previous days event. I spoke with 10 people, 7 of which were buying for somebody else. Oddly enough 2 of them were going store to store buying bottles for their respective bosses whom live out of state. Perhaps unfairly, I labeled those people as flippers. Most everyone left with a bottle of something (which was mostly ORVW10, VWFR12, and misc CEHT.)

I feel that Sazerac was kind to us as far as allocation. It seems as if we received much more PVW15, PVW20, and GTS than in years past. Only WLW seems scarce. Also, as far as I know, we didn't get any VW13 Rye which had been generously provided before.

Word is that many of the remaining large stores are going to raffle the inventory (for the right to purchase.)

Considering the madness, I think that everyone passionate about the hobby got what they wanted. Although Denver is past the days of buying PVW/BTAC any time during the year, I think that there was an acceptable mix of enthusiast coddling and market growth for the less fervent (though appreciative) individuals. I personally feel that the release was handled pretty well.

Having said that - I won't be line next year. Note to the retailers. Please keep coddling your most devoted customers.

Was this the Davidson's event this morning? I had gotten on several lists months prior to the release, and out of 7, zero called me back. The place I got a couple bottles from last year told me that they weren't going to announce or have a list at all. It's getting worse and worse each year... and I'm primarily going after GTS.

FWIW, I only bought the WLW from this years release. (Weller whore that I am. :grin:) Passed on all the others. Getting a little more picky in my old age. :rolleyes: What can I say?

I picked up two bottles of GTS and one ER17 at BevMo! in Tacoma, WA in today. The ER17 was on the shelf with one other; the GTS I ordered online and had held for me. I got an email alert at 4:00 AM on Wednesday informing me that GTS was in stock at this particular store. I get up for work around that time so I caught it right away and ordered two bottles. BevMo! won't complete the processing of an order until someone physically pulls the product for you, so I called just before the store opened that day and had the product pulled off the shelves. My order finalized and I drove down from Seattle today to pick it up. I saw the ER17 when I was in the store and figured, "Why not?"

Way to score DA! I tried getting some Pappy today @ Total Wine (Bellevue) but it was all gone in minutes.

Edited by ChainWhip

There was line @ 9 but they didn't have it then - they had the distributor courier the bottles over @ noon. The guys (& gal) @ Total Wine were cool and offered the tasting room for people to hang out while they were waiting for the bottles.

I'd imagine some people waited there the entire time but I couldn't and apparently lost out - I did score some 4RSmB Ltd.Ed 2012 though.

:-)

There was line @ 9 but they didn't have it then - they had the distributor courier the bottles over @ noon. The guys (& gal) @ Total Wine were cool and offered the tasting room for people to hang out while they were waiting for the bottles.

I'd imagine some people waited there the entire time but I couldn't and apparently lost out - I did score some 4RSmB Ltd.Ed 2012 though.

:-)

The BevMo! at Northgate opened today and they had two or three bottles of PVW, not sure what varietal and I'm pretty sure they got bought during the soft launch yesterday. The BevMo! in Tukwila got a few bottles of PVW in this week but they were already purchased ahead of time. Not sure who else in the Seattle is going to get it. Wine World and Esquin have lists, as does Clearview up in Snohomish.

At this morning's event there were 75+ people lined up (again 1 bottle per customer.) I recognized maybe 1 out of 10 from the previous days event. I spoke with 10 people, 7 of which were buying for somebody else. Oddly enough 2 of them were going store to store buying bottles for their respective bosses whom live out of state. Perhaps unfairly, I labeled those people as flippers. Most everyone left with a bottle of something (which was mostly ORVW10, VWFR12, and misc CEHT.)

I feel that Sazerac was kind to us as far as allocation. It seems as if we received much more PVW15, PVW20, and GTS than in years past. Only WLW seems scarce. Also, as far as I know, we didn't get any VW13 Rye which had been generously provided before.

Word is that many of the remaining large stores are going to raffle the inventory (for the right to purchase.)

Considering the madness, I think that everyone passionate about the hobby got what they wanted. Although Denver is past the days of buying PVW/BTAC any time during the year, I think that there was an acceptable mix of enthusiast coddling and market growth for the less fervent (though appreciative) individuals. I personally feel that the release was handled pretty well.

Having said that - I won't be line next year. Note to the retailers. Please keep coddling your most devoted customers.

I work at the largest store in Loveland. We saw a total of 13 bottles, 5 12 year, 3 15 year, and 5 20 year. When I left today we had just 3 bottles of 12 year left. It seemed to move a little slower this year, working at another store last year we had a few customers come in and buy all that we had. I was hoping to find a bottle of VW Rye, but I have a feeling that it is not going to happen this year.

FWIW, I only bought the WLW from this years release. (Weller whore that I am. :grin:) Passed on all the others. Getting a little more picky in my old age. :rolleyes: What can I say?

Same here Joe...a little bit more a financial decision on my part but I think this year's WLW is extra delicious as I posted in another thread...only nabbed one too but I'm quite confident there will be more excellence coming in years to follow.

Did it seem like people waiting knew anything about bourbon, or were they people that caught wind of the VW hype machine and are jumping on the bandwagon?

I'd say probably 50/50 @ 9am based on overhearing the conversations.

The BevMo! at Northgate opened today and they had two or three bottles of PVW, not sure what varietal and I'm pretty sure they got bought during the soft launch yesterday.

The Bellevue BevMo soft opening last Thursday had 2x23's (passed @ $270 pre-tax)

Edited by ChainWhip

Same here Joe...a little bit more a financial decision on my part but I think this year's WLW is extra delicious as I posted in another thread...only nabbed one too but I'm quite confident there will be more excellence coming in years to follow.

I bought the WLW on a whim and I am really enjoying it...probably too much. My bottle is already half gone.

I ran across a couple more WLW yesterday along with a sole ER17. Being of a more budgetary mind a few days before payday, I had to put them on hold. However, the way inflation seems to be headed in this segment, I'm going back for the WLW for sure and maybe even the ER. I've never had much temptation to pay so much for a 90 proofer as the ER17, but, I might spring for it this year as it has evaporated from shelves nearly as fast as the others in the collection in my vicinity this year.

I'd say probably 50/50 @ 9am based on overhearing the conversations.

The Bellevue BevMo soft opening last Thursday had 2x23's (passed @ $270 pre-tax)

So I have a co-worker/friend who read about Pappy in Garden and Gun, so I told him about the Pappy line up I described earlier in the thread. He called me Friday at 3 and told me he was going to go down. I tried to explain the current PVW hype, but he said he was going. I decided to go over first since he had to drive through some nasty Atlanta traffic to get to the store. The store is 5 minutes from me. I felt bad, I don't think he realized what he was getting into and I was mildly interested to see what would be going on at the Pappy line up sale. Luckily I was able to call him and get him turned around in time to avoid getting into too much of a mess as all the tix had already been given out.

Long story short, the conversations I overheard were not all that convincing that hype wasn't driving 75 percent of the people there. The reason I make this claim, they were all hot to get some PVW, but they were all talking about 4R Sm B 2012 and getting some of it, "because it was the best stuff of 2012." The store we were at got the 4RSmB 2012 weeks ago and sold out. If these were 4R enthusiasts or even whiskey enthusiasts in my opinion they would have known about the 4R weeks ago and been on the prowl. Hansell, Driscoll and others have been hyping it since at least August. It wasn't really cool until Hansell put the number 1 on it last week.

Just my opinion, but it was an interesting scene. Amazing what a simple little 1 on a blog can accomplish.

So I have a co-worker/friend who read about Pappy in Garden and Gun, so I told him about the Pappy line up I described earlier in the thread. He called me Friday at 3 and told me he was going to go down. I tried to explain the current PVW hype, but he said he was going. I decided to go over first since he had to drive through some nasty Atlanta traffic to get to the store. The store is 5 minutes from me. I felt bad, I don't think he realized what he was getting into and I was mildly interested to see what would be going on at the Pappy line up sale. Luckily I was able to call him and get him turned around in time to avoid getting into too much of a mess as all the tix had already been given out.

Long story short, the conversations I overheard were not all that convincing that hype wasn't driving 75 percent of the people there. The reason I make this claim, they were all hot to get some PVW, but they were all talking about 4R Sm B 2012 and getting some of it, "because it was the best stuff of 2012." The store we were at got the 4RSmB 2012 weeks ago and sold out. If these were 4R enthusiasts or even whiskey enthusiasts in my opinion they would have known about the 4R weeks ago and been on the prowl. Hansell, Driscoll and others have been hyping it since at least August. It wasn't really cool until Hansell put the number 1 on it last week.

Just my opinion, but it was an interesting scene. Amazing what a simple little 1 on a blog can accomplish.

I think it is a little more than just a blog of course. It is a #1 on one of THE whisk(e)y blogs. As best I can tell it is one that gets quoted in dozens of other industry and non-industry related magazines and websites so its reach seems to be pretty wide.

What store was this that had the cattle call? I am local but had not heard of this one (and probably wouldn't have gone if I had). Will take my chances with the relationships I have already even if it means I get shut out. I am getting less and less inclined to chase it anyway.

I was able to get two bottles each of this year's GTS and WLW. My brother is turning 40 this month and I want to give him one of the bottles. Any suggestions as to which might be the better one to give? Some of his favorite whiskies include Booker's, Buffalo Trace, Wild Turkey 101, and Pure Kentucky.

I was able to get two bottles each of this year's GTS and WLW. My brother is turning 40 this month and I want to give him one of the bottles. Any suggestions as to which might be the better one to give? Some of his favorite whiskies include Booker's, Buffalo Trace, Wild Turkey 101, and Pure Kentucky.

He'll be getting a great gift regardless but your list of his favorites suggests that you should give him one of the Staggs.

Truthfully though, I don't really know if he has ever had a decent wheater. Still, I will probably end up playing it safe and giving him the Stagg. Thanks. I do agree that he will be thrilled with either.

Truthfully though, I don't really know if he has ever had a decent wheater. Still, I will probably end up playing it safe and giving him the Stagg. Thanks. I do agree that he will be thrilled with either.

Give him one, share the other with him. You'll both enjoy them more that way. Cheers!

Picked up a WLW, GTS, and ER17 last weekend. First time I've tried all 3. So far WLW is my favorite, and although different for sure, I liked it equally to one of my favorite pours, JPS18. ER17 is a great pour, but for my palate, only marginally better than 2 of my almost favorite pours, Woodford and JDSB. My experience with GTS was interesting. First few sips neat were absolutely delicious, possibly as good as WLW, but perhaps it numbed my palate or something because it went downhill as I sipped it more. Today I cut it to 90 proof and compared it to the ER17. The Stagg had more complexity for sure, but I'm not sure I liked it better than ER17. I've never had a monster like this before (well, that's not completely true, I've enjoyed Handy, Willett ryes cask strength, as well as Booker's), but something seems out of balance and I can't put my finger on it. Any suggestions?

Well since I wrote that a couple of weeks ago, I haven't yet changed my opinion on the Stagg, but I have become more and more impressed with the ER17. It has such a nice balanced complexity, and I now like it about equivalent to the WLW.

Unless I have an epiphany in the last half of this bottle of Stagg, I doubt I'll go to the trouble of buying another. Unlike other cask strength monsters I've tried and enjoyed in the past (THH, Booker's, Willett Cask Strength Rye, FR Barrel strength) something seems out of balance here, and I can't put my finger on it.

Finally found a bottle of WLW. I've had one glass out of it and I'm very impressed. This is great bourbon. I look forward to being able to really get into it.

I am in CO on business. I always hit up liquor stores while on the road to see if I run across a unicorn. Today was a good day. Found a healthy stock of GTS, picked up a couple, also got a ER 17. Both were priced at $72.99 ea. They also had several WLW, and after reading this, I am wishing I had picked up one of those. Hopefully they will still be there Thursday when I get back to that town. I left plenty on the shelf of both ER 17 and GTS for the other bourbon lovers out there. Still haven't found a Pappy yet.....one day......

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.