BTAC 2012

Old Lamplighter
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This is probably a long shot but does anyone know of any stores in Georgia that still has Stagg? I managed to snag one bottle this year but I split it with a friend since he wasn't as lucky in finding them. Called about 40 stores in the Atlanta metroplex two weeks ago and not surprisingly nobody had any.

This is probably a long shot but does anyone know of any stores in Georgia that still has Stagg? I managed to snag one bottle this year but I split it with a friend since he wasn't as lucky in finding them. Called about 40 stores in the Atlanta metroplex two weeks ago and not surprisingly nobody had any.

Razer it's a little late in the year to be looking for limited release brands like Stagg, best to make those inquiries in the Summer asking who will get what when. The surest way get the brands you want is to cultivate a relationship with one of the allocation stores.

I was fortunate enough to find Stagg at my local Binnys about 3 weeks ago and then found some more Stagg this week at an excellent but more "boutique-like" store for $90. Honestly didn't think I had any chance at all to find this liquid gold but kept calling around and got lucky.

I was fortunate enough to find Stagg at my local Binnys about 3 weeks ago and then found some more Stagg this week at an excellent but more "boutique-like" store for $90. Honestly didn't think I had any chance at all to find this liquid gold but kept calling around and got lucky.

Put in a little work and eventually the efforts pay off. The scarce, limited release gems generally require advanced planning, patience and perseverance. Nice job and enjoy.

The best way to acquire BTAC is to make your presence known in several liquor stores in your area all throughout the year....especially with the manager. Make frequent purchases in their stores and stop to chat with them about bourbon. Let them know you are a serious enthusiast and you plan on buying BTAC to drink it, not flip it.

After awhile, you won't need to do any hunting at all. They will call you the second any comes in. The same goes with fiends you meet on here and in other bourbon circles. Once they know your passion and intentions, they will be more than happy to help you find some.

This has worked for me the past 3 years in more ways than you can imagine. I turn down BTAC regularly.....

Yea I figured there's probably none left in the area. I'm relatively new to bourbon and my friend turned me on to it a few months ago. It's been interesting trying different brands and I'm hoping I'll have better luck next year.

This has worked for me the past 3 years in more ways than you can imagine. I turn down BTAC regularly.....

A problem I wish I had! Thanks for the excellent advice. This the approach I have taken recently and it really great to connect with other enthusiasts that work in the industry as they tend to acquire more insider information as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up the WLW, Handy, Sazerac, and GTS this past week. I haven't opened any of them yet, trying to decide whether some bunkering is in order, as I'm relatively new to the bourbon game! For those in near Grand Junction, CO, there is at least one store that still has around 5 bottles of everything but the WLW, priced at 72.99 and the Handy at 59.99. Shoot me a pm if you would like the location.

Picked up the WLW, Handy, Sazerac, and GTS this past week. I haven't opened any of them yet, trying to decide whether some bunkering is in order, as I'm relatively new to the bourbon game!

Welcome to the board, Clop. I highly recommend that you crack all of those bottles and give them a try before doubling back to bunker more. Before you add multiple expensive bottles to you stash, taste them and let that lead the way. It may end up that you like them all, or like me, decide that you dislike one or two (I pass on every bottle of WLW). Bunkering is good, but drinking and bunkering what you really like is better.

Welcome to the board, Clop. I highly recommend that you crack all of those bottles and give them a try before doubling back to bunker more. Before you add multiple expensive bottles to you stash, taste them and let that lead the way. It may end up that you like them all, or like me, decide that you dislike one or two (I pass on every bottle of WLW). Bunkering is good, but drinking and bunkering what you really like is better.

Yeah, I've drank bourbon four years, but that mainly consisted of Beam, Wild Turkey, or Buffalo Trace. Since getting more interested and reading these forums, I've enjoyed Weller 12, Four Roses Single Barrel, and Evan Williams Single Barrel, with my favorite probably being the Four Roses or Weller. My only rye has been Wild Turkey 101, which I enjoyed more than the Wild Turkey bourbon. Looking forward to the tasting, especially to see how they compare to Lagavulin 16, which is my current favorite.

Yeah, I've drank bourbon four years, but that mainly consisted of Beam, Wild Turkey, or Buffalo Trace. Since getting more interested and reading these forums, I've enjoyed Weller 12, Four Roses Single Barrel, and Evan Williams Single Barrel, with my favorite probably being the Four Roses or Weller. My only rye has been Wild Turkey 101, which I enjoyed more than the Wild Turkey bourbon. Looking forward to the tasting, especially to see how they compare to Lagavulin 16, which is my current favorite.

Lagavulin 16 smokey/peated whisky is a completely different profile experience than Bourbon expressions. Apples and oranges. Be sure to compare apples with apples and oranges to oranges.

True, I'm just wondering if I will enjoy any of them as much as Lagavulin. Seems with bourbon, there are so many options to try that are reasonably priced. Scotch gets expensive too quickly for my pocket book.

Couldn't help myself, so I tasted both the Sazerac 18 and the Handy. The Saz is delightful! I don't really know how to describe it, other than the nose is very pleasant, and it tastes very "balanced." All I can say is that I really like it. The Handy, the nose seems almost "citrusy" and a little cinnamon, with a pretty hot finish. While the Handy is certainly drinkable, I prefer the Saz. Probably won't buy another bottle of the Handy, but I definitely will buy another Saz.

I'm not so well grounded HP, I"ll happily toss a scotch into a Bourbon tasting . . . or the other way 'round.

....Couldn't help myself, so I tasted both the Sazerac 18 and the Handy. The Saz is delightful! I don't really know how to describe it, other than the nose is very pleasant, and it tastes very "balanced." All I can say is that I really like it. The Handy, the nose seems almost "citrusy" and a little cinnamon, with a pretty hot finish. While the Handy is certainly drinkable, I prefer the Saz. Probably won't buy another bottle of the Handy, but I definitely will buy another Saz.

Good call! I too am an Islay drinker, with Lagavulin 16 being my favorite Scotch. Sazerac 18 is one of my favorite whiskeys, ever. Some bash it for being only 90 proof, but I think this contributes to the sheer drinkability and balance that you describe. The subtle sweetness combined with the floral notes on the palate and finish are what makes this rye special to me. My guess is that as an Islay drinking guy, you might find rye to hold more appeal than bourbon. Also, if you plan on keeping that Saz around for a while, grab yourself some Private Preserve and use it when you reseal the bottle to keep the rye notes vibrant.

I'm not so well grounded HP, I"ll happily toss a scotch into a Bourbon tasting . . . or the other way 'round.

Not what I would say as grounded but, I would not necessarily do a tasting flight of Bourbon with peated Scotch. I would however do a Bourbon and non-peated Scotch tasting.

Hell, I'd even go outside the box and do a Bourbon, Domaine D'Ognoas BAS-Armagnac and Mount Gay XO rum flight tasting. The Armagnac and MG rum are enjoyed by many Bourbon enthusiasts as "Bourbon like".

Peated Scotch along with High West Campfire and Balcones Brimstone would also be interesting.

Apples>Apples, Oranges>oranges...it's all subjective which makes it fun, interesting, intriguing and an ongoing educational journey down the whisk(e)y path! Thanks for the conversation Squire.

• 2 months later...

I was in Beltramo's (in Menlo Park, California in case you're unfamiliar) around mid February when I noticed a lone bottle of GTS 2012 in the glass display case in the back. I think it might have been the last bottle left in the entire Bay Area (or even the state). Since no one else in the store had noticed it, I just bought it making it my first ever bottle of Stagg. It just seemed so alone and needed a good home :grin:.

As a virgin to GTS, what's the best way to drink this? Neat without water, neat with water, or straight from the bottle?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.