BTAC 2012

Old Lamplighter
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Besides John Hansell does anyone like the 2012 Stagg?

I have one open, since Wednesday and it is hot and thin, devoid of any flavors, well maybe a little teaberry before mid palate.

The least favorite Stagg for me by a long shot.

I was able to pick up bottles of ER17 and THH, and tasted Stagg at Whiskey Fest (twice haha). I was slightly disappointed with the ER, as I find it a little flat. I enjoy a little more spice and depth, not that it isn't a great pour. Some nice vanilla/caramel going on there, but for what I paid was looking for a little more. THH really does need to be tried by everyone who enjoys rye. I tame it to around 100-105 proof, and I think it's pretty perfect there. Lots of fire and spice, even at that level. It's very enjoyable. I really wish I could try the '12 Stagg again. I really enjoyed it when I had it, but it certainly wasn't the best way to experience it for the first time. It was my first bourbon of the evening after a number of scotches...tough to get a good read on it.

I have one open, since Wednesday and it is hot and thin, devoid of any flavors, well maybe a little teaberry before mid palate.

I enjoy it immensely. The bitter chocolate and pecan flavors are so immense and the finish lingers just the right amount, but to each his own.

You are the first person I've seen besides myself who has a similar opinion of the 2012 Stagg. This is the first Stagg I've ever tried....but my opinion mirrors yours. For my palate, Booker's is far better.

You are the first person I've seen besides myself who has a similar opinion of the 2012 Stagg. This is the first Stagg I've ever tried....but my opinion mirrors yours. For my palate, Booker's is far better.

2008 was very good, if you can track it down I'd say it's worth a hundo and a quarter.

2008 was very good, if you can track it down I'd say it's worth a hundo and a quarter.

The 2008 GTS is my nomination for 2012 Whiskey of the Year.

I generally agree that the Stagg is a bit "hot and thin," but I still found it fairly solid at the retail price point. My first run at the WLW was fantastic; hopefully it will hold up.

Found WLW in a store yesterday in CO on sale for 58.99 a bottle. Couldn't resist, so I picked up the last 2 they had. Pretty good week, scored 3 GTS, 2 WLW, and 1 ER 17. Only Pappy i came across was a 13 yr rye, I passed on it as I am not a huge rye fan.

Found WLW in a store yesterday in CO on sale for 58.99 a bottle. Couldn't resist, so I picked up the last 2 they had. Pretty good week, scored 3 GTS, 2 WLW, and 1 ER 17. Only Pappy i came across was a 13 yr rye, I passed on it as I am not a huge rye fan.

:banghead:

You don't have to be a huge rye fan to appreciate the VWFRR. You don't even have to be a rye fan.

Lesson learned. Next time I will pick up the rye.

I found it in Colorado while on business, not in Nashville. No pappy products can be found in Nashville, everywhere has waiting lists a mile long and every time you ask to get on one, they say it isn't worth your time.

Lesson learned. Next time I will pick up the rye.

I found it in Colorado while on business, not in Nashville. No pappy products can be found in Nashville, everywhere has waiting lists a mile long and every time you ask to get on one, they say it isn't worth your time.

Edited by tanstaafl2

the only way i know to get Winkle or BTAC in Nashville is at Midtown on black Friday. They didn't have all bottles, but still had a selection.

the only way i know to get Winkle or BTAC in Nashville is at Midtown on black Friday. They didn't have all bottles, but still had a selection.

Thanks for the information. I will have to check that out next year. Only 11 months to wait......Still some being distributed in town as of now, just have to hit the timing just right. I haven't gotten that lucky yet.

You may want to check on Weiss on Main St in East Nashville. There's another store just down the street that still had a bottle of Vintage 17. I drove by Midtown on that Friday about 2 hours before they opened. There was one car in the lot. I'm just not one to get caught up in it. If I was going to spend the money, I'd get 21yr Willett over the 20-23 Pappy. I did luck up and get a bottle of Winkle Lot B last spring at Weiss.

You may want to check on Weiss on Main St in East Nashville. There's another store just down the street that still had a bottle of Vintage 17. I drove by Midtown on that Friday about 2 hours before they opened. There was one car in the lot. I'm just not one to get caught up in it. If I was going to spend the money, I'd get 21yr Willett over the 20-23 Pappy. I did luck up and get a bottle of Winkle Lot B last spring at Weiss.

Fellow East Nashvillian?!

To me, this is a good way to make sure only registered members of SB benefit from all the hunting it's members do. If you just post the store name and inventory, it'll be scooped up by someone who doesn't contribute to the site or it's members. Well done :bowdown:

Thank you for the tip on the Vintage 17! I've been trying to find a bottle for a few months.

To me, this is a good way to make sure only registered members of SB benefit from all the hunting it's members do. If you just post the store name and inventory, it'll be scooped up by someone who doesn't contribute to the site or it's members. Well done :bowdown:

I think that might a little harsh. If there was a way to PM each other, that might be an easier way to let members in the same city know where to look otherwise posting on the forums is the best way.

I think that might a little harsh. If there was a way to PM each other, that might be an easier way to let members in the same city know where to look otherwise posting on the forums is the best way.

It's not harsh at all. Reality is, there are plenty more lurkers than posters and they're all over these threads.

As for the PM function, I don't know if yours is disabled because your a noob but mine works just fine, and more than one person locally has benefited from my tips....

It's not harsh at all. Reality is, there are plenty more lurkers than posters and they're all over these threads.

As for the PM function, I don't know if yours is disabled because your a noob but mine works just fine, and more than one person locally has benefited from my tips....

I think you make a good point but that is the way it is on most boards. Hopefully one day I'll benefit from a tip or two from you as well. I have family in the Twin Cities as well as southern MN.

I think my PM ability is disabled. Maybe just need to make more posts.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.