What bourbon are you drinking? Winter 12/13

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Shared a pour of Angel's Envy Cask Strength with my father this evening during a belated Christmas dinner at his house since we were out of town for the holidays.

Still as lovely as ever!

A couple different SB blends this evening. First was OWA/WSR. Now OWA/W12

Phil, I have all of those in my cabinet. Can you suggest some specific ratios, to get me started?

With the chilly weather here in NY over the weekend I took it upon myself to kill off my bottle of Four Roses Yellow label, a great value pour & last night had a fistful of Eagle Rare on the rocks. Took the edge off of having to come back to work this am.

Sun came out and the thread on cocktails has me thinking I'll shake up something with Barton, Triple Sec, orange juice and grenadine.

Was over on Bing's intro thread, and talked myself into a pour of Baby Saz...:crazy: Dang near close to a pour of Ritt BIB, as well!

I've heard Tom from up at Finger Lakes brag on Dixie Dew and Virgin 101 enough that when my friend from Bama was home for Christmas, I had him pick me up a bottle of each. I plan on having a bit of each as I watch the game tonight.

4R new Visitors center 17yo, a truly great bourbon, probably the best of last year.

Best regards, Tony

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

A delightful evening at Seven Lamps, a new restaurant near Lenox Mall. Arianne Fielder, formerly of Bourbon Bar is at the stick and she was assisted tonight by Tom McGuire, who also mans the bar at Prohibition. We started with a pour of the new JD white dog rye that a friend had acquired and although I was fully prepared to dislike it I was pleasantly surprised. It was full of sourdough bread notes but did not have a lot of white dog roughness to it. We then had a taste of Troy & Sons corn whiskey. Somewhat similar to the JD rye but more subdued and a bit sweeter. I have to admit I preferred the JD rye.

I brought the Hawaiian "Moonshine" okolehao to the party and everybody seemed to like it, Tom quickly turned it into a cocktail that we called "Bottoms Up" (okole meaning your bottom or butt in Hawaiian. Okolehao is the name of an iron three legged pot that was turned into a still in Hawaii and no doubt looked like a nice round bottom...). The drink consisted of 1.5 oz okolehao, 0.5 oz St Germaine and 0.5 pomegranate juice served over ice and topped with 3-4 oz of ginger beer with a lime wedge squeezed into the drink and then dropped into the drink. Somewhat tiki-esque which was quite apropro and very tasty!

Arianne then used it in a variation on a Mary Pickford Cocktail with pineapple juice, maraschino liqueur and a splash of hibiscus grenadine on the bottom and a variation on a classic Doctor Cocktail (a personal favorite) with Swedish punsch and lime juice. Both were very nice but I am partial to the Doctor Cocktail..

From there we moved on to some Perique tobacco liqueur and Angels Envy Cask Strength to accompany the Baba au Rhum for dessert.

A most pleasant evening!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!