What bourbon are you drinking? Winter 12/13

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Lunch martini was Barton in coffee. Was going to make a Manhattan but it's too darn cold to drink something shaken with ice.

I really need to get out for a run...Nah...tomorrow....or, the next...:D

Instead, sippin' on a little AAA 10 yr while watching some football....and, continuing to eat everything in the house...oink...

Lordy, am I going to pay for this when I get back at it...

A little ETL before heading into the peach bowl. I refuse to call it by its new corporate name, although the free chicken sandwich was nice.

Watching some football and sipping a glass of mystery bourbon from a flask I found in my liquor cabinet. Best guess is EW BIB.

Geaux Tigers!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Starting off with some OWA 107 Single Barrel. Extremely good. Rich caramel, oak, cedar, and some baking spices.

My first taste of EW SB (barrel 828, barreled 12/09/2001, bottled 10/20/2011), opened tonight

Upon first try (within 2 minutes of bottle opening): nose was sweet, with some caramel. Palate was sweet at the front, but slightly medicinal (that may be too strong a word) in the late mid phase. Finish was one of the longest I've encountered in my tastings (I'm no expert), but was a mellow low-grade burn, particularly noticeable on my soft palate. I let it sit for 15 minutes and came back.

After the wait, I get a slight cherry note in the nose, the medicinal is gone from the palate, and the finish has lengthened, involving the sides of my tongue, and at the very end I get a little bit of mint.

I'm looking forward to getting to know this bottle, and picking up the 2002 this week.

Having one of these with some Ancient Ancient Age 10yo-

The Subourbon:

• 1.5 ounces of bourbon (Wild Turkey 101)
  • 0.5 ounces of rum (Appleton 12 Year)
  • 0.5 ounces of port wine (Noval Black)
  • Dash of orange bitters (Hella Citrus)
  • Dash of aromatic bitters (Angostura)

Pour all ingredients into a mixing glass and then put in some ice. Stir, alot. Then strain into a non-chilled glass. As it warms up, the better it gets. This drink is super complex, with huge flavors that are out of left field. The dunderfunk and the molasses from the rum meld perfectly with the char, while the softer, woodier notes are brightened by the bitters. The port thickens the mouthfeel and gives a burst of jam mid palate and a hint of nuttiness towards the end. The boldest cocktail you will ever drink, I gaurentee it.

Tonight I'm lightly mixing and matching some 100 proofers (plus) for New Year's Eve. I have OF Signature, VOB BIB, OWA, and WT101 at the ready. At the actual stroke of midnight ,will probably treat myself to a small ration of WT Rye 101.

On to some ER17, very tasty. Now some Lot "B", and I'll ring in the new year with some PVW20.

Knocked out my ETL then moved on to some Ardbeg 10. The wife and I rang in the new year with pours of PVW20 and PVW15, respectively. Happy 2013 folks!

A nice pour of OWA TPS SB barrel 27. It goes so well with a kickass steak and eggs breakfast.

Didn't make it long enough to see the ball drop last night, but that's due to parenting an infant - not over-consumption. However, I enjoyed WT American Spirit in the "Dads Room" until about ten last night.

Edited by Bourbon Boiler

Barton and coffee just prior to lunch

Another whisky and coffee here. Just before dinner.

Four Roses Small Batch + Turkish coffee (coffee is Rwanda Kagimbanyi Uwinbabazi Margueritte - Cup of Excellence #29)

post-9253-14489818517261_thumb.jpg

PHC 5th and 6th and rounding things out with a bold "Man Sized" pour of FR SmB LE,Wow,just Wow is all I can say!

It's the biggest college football day of the year, so what else? Fighting Cock.

Now on to the Rose Bowl. So, Four Roses SmB LE 2012 to start. But, the Badgers are needing some mojo right now, so I'm pulling out the Fleischmann's Rye...:D

Dang, there's a lot of Red in that stadium!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!