What beer are you drinking? Winter 12/13

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Last night I had a Great Lakes Christmas Ale.

Nice crisp and refreshing glass. Even with all the great brewers in MI, this brewery out of Cleveland is one of my favorites.

Last night I had a Great Lakes Christmas Ale.

Nice crisp and refreshing glass. Even with all the great brewers in MI, this brewery out of Cleveland is one of my favorites.

Had to do a drain pour last night, unfortunately -- The Bruery's 5 Golden Rings. My bad for not aging it, perhaps -- the ester alcohol taste just wasn't for me.

My brother in law got me the usual case of Samuel Adams holiday brews. I'm drinking a Chocolate Bock right now. I really like this one. The Coffee Stout is missing in this year's case. It was replaced by the not so good (IMO) White Christmas Ale.

A bottle of New Holland Hopivore, upon returning home from dinner. Less aggressive than I expected. Maybe, the name? Anywho, a pleasant brew.

One of the better beer bars in Chicago's suburbs put out a slew of barrel-aged beers last night -- enjoyed some Goose Island Baudonia (a bottom-of-the-rack Bourbon County Stout draft-only variant that's a bit less boozy and more chocolatey than the standard release), some GI BCS infused with vanilla through a Randall, a Revolution Very Mad Cow (barrel-aged milk stout -- I think I would've enjoyed this more as a standalone; it paled in comparison to the GI pours) and an interesting Allagash Bourbon Barrel Black Ale with a fair bit of herbal components that got into a messy knife fight with the bourbon.

A bomber of Anderson Valley Heelch O Hops. Very crisp and refreshing with lots of citrus, fresh herbs and hops. I also picked up some Anderson Valley Winter Solstice, Goose Island BCBS, and FiftyFifty Eclipse x2 - one aged in EC 12 barrels and another aged in Old Fitz barrels. I'm really excited to finally try the FF Eclipse, but I'm hosting a whiskey tasting and poker game tonight so I probably wont be having any more beer today.

Purchased a couple of Trappist ales upon recommendation,Orval and Rochefort 10 which are both stated for consumption later this evening.

Plain old Budweiser in my 2012 Holiday Budweiser Stein that my nephew gifted me for Christmas. Good beer. Gooder stein. Goodest nephew.

Plain old Budweiser in my 2012 Holiday Budweiser Stein that my nephew gifted me for Christmas. Good beer. Gooder stein. Goodest nephew.

Had some Neapolitan Milk Stout by Saugatuck Brewing tonight. Definitely different. They got the trio of flavors in, for sure -- strawberry dominates, then the chocolate and then the vanilla. Probably more of a one-off novelty purchase than a regular addition to the rotation.

Fifty Fifty Eclipse Blue Wax (Old Fitz barrel aged) while watching my Vikes go for the playoffs. Lots of chocolate with a sweet finish like a milkshake. I dont taste much from the barrel but still a great stout. I may need to pick up a couple more of these while they're available.

Thanks to one of our kind Chicago friends I am having a Three Floyds night. Had a Gumbalhead. I don't like wheat beers but the ridiculous amount of hops saved it. I can't recall another overhopped wheat beer and this one is worth trying. After that got into the Dreadnaught. 3F is definitely a hop shop and they do it well. Zombie Dust is for tomorrow. If I can wait that long.

DIPA day/night while watching playoff implication football:

1. Heady Topper

2. Zoe

3. Maharaja

HT wins the day...as usual but the other two are no slouches.

I had a Zombie dust in Christmas Eve thanks to my cousins husband. It really is a fantastic beer. vey nice balance and not just hops for the sale if hops like the trend seems to be going these days. He me mentioned it was almost impossible to find. Well, I seem to have better beer searching luck than bourbon searching as a orphaned six pack found a good home today. Looks like New Years will bring a zombie apocalypse for my brother and I tonight!

Mike

DIPA day/night while watching playoff implication football:

1. Heady Topper

2. Zoe

3. Maharaja

HT wins the day...as usual but the other two are no slouches.

Rang in the new year with Great Divides Hibernation Ale and Claymore Scotch (wee heavey), Cincinnatus (barrel aged imperial stout from local brewer) and Three Floyd's Zombie Dust. All great beers.

Mike

What did you think of the Claymore? I purchased several Scotch Ales including that one to compare but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Had my first Yuengling today. And honestly, I wasn't too impressed. Not sure what the big deal is. Also had the Yuengling Black & Tan which was slightly better.

Polished off a Double Dog (2011 Vintage) and a Long Strange Tripel earlier. I only have one of the DDs left and then I'll have to go out of state to get more!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!