What beer are you drinking? Winter 12/13

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Picked up a New Holland Blue Sunday Sour 2012 vintage today. Anybody had this before? I am inclined to tuck this in the back and let a sit a year or so. But curious if it is worth a second bottle to drink now and be able to compare.

Sounds good, but I have not had it. Why not get another one and taste it? Is it relatively expensive?

Okay. So Deschutes beer has FINALLY made it to Illinois. I saw it for the first time last week and grabbed sixpacks of the Mirror Pond Pale Ale and Black Butte Porter. (Didn't they miss an opportunity by not calling it Big Butte Porter?:grin:) I haven't tried the porter yet but the pale ale was superb. This isn't a particularly hoppy pale ale (nor should it be) but it is faithful to the traditional English style, with judicious use of hops to give it a wonderful floral aroma and just a tinge of bite to it. What really impressed me was the body/mouth-feel which was silky and full. Very nice, indeed! Now I need to find their IPA and ESB to compare them all. You guys out west have been lucky to drink this beer for so long!
The limited Deschutes releases are really good too. Hop in the Dark is one of my favorites, and in general I have liked all I've tried and I never hesitate to pick up a new one when I see it.

Binny's had bombers of the Hop Henge Experimental, a very nice IIPA. So far I've enjoyed that as well as Mirror Pond (nice enough, but not wowed -- I've become a hop head!), Chainbreaker White IPA (more of a weiss than an IPA to me; pretty tasty) and the Red Chair NWPA, a seasonal APA that hit all of the right notes.

Sounds good, but I have not had it. Why not get another one and taste it? Is it relatively expensive?

No, I suppose not. Probably should have gotten two while I was there. I expect it will be as expensive to drive to the store and back as the bottle costs! If it is still there when I go again I will just pick another up.

You're probably right! I "age" my beers sometimes. Usually, only if it's a limited release or hard to find or I just can't drink more than one or two in a sitting (12 ABV+.) So, then I can have some at a much later date up to a couple of years. It really depends on the beer, but I don't usually see a huge dfference in taste other than some of the bolder styles will mellow out a little.

You're probably right! I "age" my beers sometimes. Usually, only if it's a limited release or hard to find or I just can't drink more than one or two in a sitting (12 ABV+.) So, then I can have some at a much later date up to a couple of years. It really depends on the beer, but I don't usually see a huge dfference in taste other than some of the bolder styles will mellow out a little.

In theory a bottle conditioned sour beer like this should change at least some over time. Unless I get one and drink it now for comparison it will be hard to know! Of course then I have to remember what it tasted like when I drink the other one a year or two later.

But I have trouble remember this morning as it is...

Binny's had bombers of the Hop Henge Experimental, a very nice IIPA. So far I've enjoyed that as well as Mirror Pond (nice enough, but not wowed -- I've become a hop head!), Chainbreaker White IPA (more of a weiss than an IPA to me; pretty tasty) and the Red Chair NWPA, a seasonal APA that hit all of the right notes.

Hop head here too! Dogfish Head 60 and 90 Minute IPA are two of my favorite expressions of what American IPAs and Double/Imperial IPAs can taste like without tasting like they put a few aspirin in there. Double Dog and Brewdog Hardcore IPA do it well too. There are many other good ones as well. Just can't remember them all.

Edit: I really have to start paying attention to my spelling more! ...coddled by technology too much...

Edited by smknjoe

The local wing joint had one of my favorites on tap tonight, Allagash Curieux. Silky and smooth with every sip.

I just can't get into Deschutes. I have determined I don't like their yeast strain. The smell of dirty lake water stands out in all of their beers to me. The one exception to this is their sour brown ale called "the Dissident." The Abyss is drinkable but it is only a shadow of what it used to be. Maybe I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the horrible infection the abyss had a few years ago. Mirror Mirror, which was a Stranahan's barrel aged barley wine, was also good but that was 3 or 4 years ago.

I just can't get into Deschutes. I have determined I don't like their yeast strain. The smell of dirty lake water stands out in all of their beers to me. The one exception to this is their sour brown ale called "the Dissident." The Abyss is drinkable but it is only a shadow of what it used to be. Maybe I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the horrible infection the abyss had a few years ago. Mirror Mirror, which was a Stranahan's barrel aged barley wine, was also good but that was 3 or 4 years ago.

Hmm. I'm not getting dirty lake water at all in any of the ones I tried, Bradley. You should call your plumber. It sounds like your septic tank is kicking back through your kitchen faucet when you're washing your beer glasses.:lol:

Stumbled across a Taybeh Dark in the back of the fridge. Left over from a trip to Israel, it is a West Bank made beer in the German style. Just a smidge past the printed "expiration" date on the bottle! Been in the fridge for quite a while so perhaps not as fresh as it could be but at least it had been kept cold the whole time.

post-8493-14489818553878_thumb.jpg

Had a nice head and didn't seem to be any the worse for time. A nice dark bock style beer.

post-8493-14489818553633_thumb.jpg

Road trip to Ypsilanti yesterday to enjoy some draught Bell's Hopslam at Sidetrack, also had one of America's greatest burgers.

Can't wait for Founder's Double Trouble to hit the market.

Road trip to Ypsilanti yesterday to enjoy some draught Bell's Hopslam at Sidetrack, also had one of America's greatest burgers.

Can't wait for Founder's Double Trouble to hit the market.

I'm not a big hops person, but I like Double Trouble better than Hopslam. For the hops lover, both are outstanding.

A couple of weeks ago I picked a good one that I have never had before.

Southern Tier from Lakewood NY has one called 2XIPA.

I rank this one in my top 4 which includes Double Trouble, Hopslam and Arcadia's Hop Mouth.

Will, the best way to enjoy a beer like this is with food, goes best with a sandwich that has a spicy cheese and other similar spreads.

A couple of weeks ago I picked a good one that I have never had before.

Southern Tier from Lakewood NY has one called 2XIPA.

I rank this one in my top 4 which includes Double Trouble, Hopslam and Arcadia's Hop Mouth.

Will, the best way to enjoy a beer like this is with food, goes best with a sandwich that has a spicy cheese and other similar spreads.

Oscar, if you can locate some Firestone Walker Double Jack it's worth a try...it's available in bombers and 12oz bottles. Good to see you still enjoying the finer beers of Michigan! :)

It was my niece's 8th b-day yesterday and a couple of their neighbors are beer guys so I brought a bunch of different PA's and IPA's for us to try. In the 6/7 pack I brought:

West 6 IPA (1)

Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (2)

Victory Hop Devil (4)

New Glarius Black Top BIPA (5)

Bell's Two Hearted Ale (6)

Finch's Threadless IPA (7)

FW Double Jack (3)

I ranked them in that order last night...the only one that I was disapointed with was that Finch's...it just was funky! The top 3 really could have gone in any order and IMO there was clear seperation between those 3 and the others. :cool:

Hmm. I'm not getting dirty lake water at all in any of the ones I tried, Bradley. You should call your plumber. It sounds like your septic tank is kicking back through your kitchen faucet when you're washing your beer glasses.:lol:

Maybe I should try rid-x?

Big Polish dinner of kielbasa, pierogies and sauerkraut between playoff football games last night, all washed down with a twelver of Zywiec beer and some Tennessee whiskey. Nice!

Going with a Bell's Hopslam this afternoon

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

How is the Hopslam? The guy at my liquor store said some was coming in next week.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!