What beer are you drinking? Winter 12/13

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Had my first Yuengling today. And honestly, I wasn't too impressed. Not sure what the big deal is. Also had the Yuengling Black & Tan which was slightly better.

It's been a while, but I remember it being very "domestic" tasting. Nothing to seek out.

We got a 'sampler case' they put out, a six pack each of lager, dark, black&tan, and I believe a cream ale. It was really exciting until we began to sample them.

We got a 'sampler case' they put out, a six pack each of lager, dark, black&tan, and I believe a cream ale. It was really exciting until we began to sample them.

Early candidate for best post of 2013. :)

Gary

What did you think of the Claymore? I purchased several Scotch Ales including that one to compare but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I don't have a lot of other wee heaveys to compare it to, but I am a big fan. Great Divide, IMHO, puts out some high quality beers. This is probably my brothers favorite beer right now which is why we had it for New Years. Let me know how it stands up to the other Scotch Ales as I would be very interested in trying some others as well.

Mike

5e2a3ahy.jpg This is hands down the best beer that I have had from this brewery. It's a black IPA that has nice molasses and chocolate undertones part with fresh and clean citrus and pine hops...yummy!

Okay. At the risk of being kicked in the groin by lovers of Goose Island Bourbon County Stout, a friend of mine picked up a growler of the Barrel-aged Bourbon County Coffee Stout over the weekend and, to a person, we all disliked it immensely. My first reaction was that it reminded me of Paulaner Salvator or something else along the lines of doppelbock. But that wasn't quite it. Then I thought of barleywine or some kind of high octane Scotch ale, but that didn't seem quite right either. And then suddenly it came to me...Sam Adams Triple Bock, an experimental release from the mid-nineties that tasted like...(wait for it) freakin' soy sauce! That was it! Of course, as soon as I uttered the words "soy sauce" everyone else in the room picked up on the flavor due to the power of suggestion. But I stand by my assessment that this particular batch tasted like shit. I've had others in the line that I loved but this one just didn't do it for any of us which amounted to $30 down the drain. Bummer!

Edited by unclebunk

Okay. At the risk of being kicked in the groin by lovers of Goose Island Bourbon County Stout, a friend of mine picked up a growler of the Barrel-aged Bourbon County Coffee Stout over the weekend and, to a person, we all disliked it immensely. My first reaction was that it reminded me of Paulaner Salvator or something else along the lines of doppelbock. But that wasn't quite it. Then I thought of barleywine or some kind of high octane Scotch ale, but that didn't seem quite right either. And then suddenly it came to me...Sam Adams Triple Bock, an experimental release from the mid-nineties that tasted like...(wait for it) freakin' soy sauce! That was it! Of course, as soon as I uttered the words "soy sauce" everyone else in the room picked up on the flavor due to the power of suggestion. But I stand by my assessment that this particular batch tasted like shit. I've had others in the line that I loved but this one just didn't do it for any of us which amounted to $30 down the drain. Bummer!

Why, you no-account son of a.... :lol:

Can I ask where the growler came from? (Leo's?) Could be a line issue or something that fouled up the works. Only one of the most recent 50 reviews of GI BCBCS on Beer Advocate mention a soy sauce flavor. I can't say I noticed any such note the one time that I had this year's batch on tap. (But that was at the brewery itself with the brewmaster, so it may have been a "honey keg." :grin:)

Now if it was barrel-aged Dark Lord, or any Dark Lord for that matter, the soy sauce thing would make a ton of sense.

I just wanna say that I am so glad I have no interest in craft beers - the craft beer craze is nuts and I intend to stay away. Have at it, boys!

I just wanna say that I am so glad I have no interest in craft beers - the craft beer craze is nuts and I intend to stay away. Have at it, boys!

Ha! Yeah, because there aren't any parallels to the current bourbon scene.... :lol:

Okay. At the risk of being kicked in the groin by lovers of Goose Island Bourbon County Stout, a friend of mine picked up a growler of the Barrel-aged Bourbon County Coffee Stout over the weekend and, to a person, we all disliked it immensely.

I had my first BCBCS over the weekend, from a '12 bomber, and I was not as taken with it as I am by the '12 BCBS. Too much ground coffee bitterness for me, similar to what I get from espresso covered chocolate, which I usually love, but it was just too spread out over the whole body and finish. I have a couple other bottles that I'll hold on to for a few years; I think they might be delicious two years from now.

I definitely didn't get any soy sauce though. Sounds like something was wrong with your growler!

Can I ask where the growler came from? (Leo's?) Could be a line issue or something that fouled up the works. Only one of the most recent 50 reviews of GI BCBCS on Beer Advocate mention a soy sauce flavor...Now if it was barrel-aged Dark Lord, or any Dark Lord for that matter, the soy sauce thing would make a ton of sense.
I had my first BCBCS over the weekend, from a '12 bomber, and I was not as taken with it as I am by the '12 BCBS. Too much ground coffee bitterness for me, similar to what I get from espresso covered chocolate, which I usually love, but it was just too spread out over the whole body and finish. I have a couple other bottles that I'll hold on to for a few years; I think they might be delicious two years from now.

I definitely didn't get any soy sauce though. Sounds like something was wrong with your growler!

Yes, Steve. It was from Leo's and they may have a problem with their lines. If it's still on tap, I'm going to ask for a sample to consume in the store and see if I get the same reaction. If not, maybe it was the growler itself which I rather doubt. There's only one way to find out!:grin:

I finally got my hands on a Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA. Wasn't disappointed.

Good stuff. Definitely a sipping beer or to be shared with a friend or two. I like it after it's warmed up a bit. The flavors really start to come out

I remember that Sam Adams triple bock crap! Back then they were pretty much the only game in town (Nationally.) People knock them now as if they were Bud or something, but they still make some decent beers.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll steer clear of this stuff then.

Yes, Steve. It was from Leo's and they may have a problem with their lines. If it's still on tap, I'm going to ask for a sample to consume in the store and see if I get the same reaction. If not, maybe it was the growler itself which I rather doubt. There's only one way to find out!:grin:

Thursday night flight at Lexington Beerworks with Founders Breakfast, Three Floyd's Alpha King, Bells Expedition, and Schneider Aventinus.

Thursday night flight at Lexington Beerworks with Founders Breakfast, Three Floyd's Alpha King, Bells Expedition, and Schneider Aventinus.

Beerworks is a great place.

Yup. Love tha place. Gotta be sure to go back for their anniversary week for some Zombie Dust and Utopias.

Okaaay. There goes a 3 day work week that felt like 8. So, grabbing a Sam Adams Chocolate Bock from the fridge. I only have this beer at this time of year, as it's usually the last ones I pull from the SA Holiday Pack. And, each time, my impressions of it change. Sometimes, I've loved it. Sometimes, too syrupy sweet. Sometimes, too chocolatey. Sometimes, bland. Well, this one is hitting my palate just right. Perfect texture, and the sweetness is toned down, and the cocoa is just right. More bitter than sweet, and at just the right balance for me. Since the chocolate notes are hittin' right with me at the moment, maybe it's time to mosey on over to that OGD 114 sittin' on the bar....Hey, ol' feller...got a pour left in ye?

Doing a little prep for my Fathers bday dinner tomorrow and having a Dogfish Head Burton Baton.

I'm really enjoying the Woodchuck reserve bourbon-barrel-aged cider. I often have a cider or NG Apple Ale along with my bourbon, so the appeal to me is obvious.

Also had a Chimay blue that has been in my fridge for a few years last night. Exquisite!

Italian beef sandwiches with fried peppers on the dinner menu along with a cold Brownstone ale by Sixpoint.

I think this is another beer that the GBS leadership would enjoy. The hops are offset by a nice level of maltiness and at 6% abv, the alcohol is not forward at all.

Did the cold-aging hurt the Guinness? I think that is the one brewed in Canada. It should be good cold.

Today I had a draft German dark lager with the odd-sounding name Thurn und Taxis. (Odd-sounding to American and Canadian ears I mean). The name, which might be mistaken for a venerable literary movement with Romantic leanings, relates to a German family I understand, a distinguished old family which once owned a brewery which brewed beers of this name in Munich. The well-known Paulaner brewery bought them out about 20 years ago but keeps the brand going and the beer is as good as ever. The dark has a dryish, coffee-like taste - not expresso, which to keep the metaphor going would characterize more strong porter or stout - but tan or brown coffee of an even-tempered palate, say mocha, that type. There was good interleaved bitterness too, not the pilsener kind which can taste of hay or a lane in dense farm country, but steely mineral-like hops. Usually I find German draft beer here just doesn't taste quite right, too chemically or something, but this one was perfect, and served in a handsome stoneware mug that seduced my usual resolve to drink only from plain glass (with no label please, e.g. I cannot drink from the glasses Guinness has developed for its draft stout, the lurid label puts me off).

And so that is what I had to drink today for beer, just one and it was perfect.

Gary

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!