What Rye Are You Drinking? Winter '12/'13

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Couple small pours of Michters 10 yr, not a bad pour very spicy so I have to be in a certain mood to want to drink it

Had some Bowman rye (TPS #3) last night. Watched the sun set and thought about the fragility of life. :frown:

Had some Bowman rye (TPS #3) last night. Watched the sun set and thought about the fragility of life. :frown:

That's one delicious rye

Dickel Rye tonight. Had first in a blind flight of three along with baby Saz and Bulliet Rye. Was able to pick out the Dickel because it was noticably more mellow .. a bit of viscosity .. or syrup .. a clue that this one likely had been through the maple charcoal mellowing process. These were all neat. The Bulliet stood out because of the minty give-a-way when taken neat. The Baby Saz was lighter than I remembered from a couple of nights ago .. mostly because of the line-up. A rep had brought a bottle by The Porch and I then had a pour over ice. The Dickel Rye brightened up and suddenly I could get a minty lead on it and the viscosity was not a factor. All in all .. a good pour .. and I'll buy this one. The charcoal mellowed process makes this one stand up alone among ryes that I know. It's different and good. I'm told it's 95% rye .. and no age statement.

In celebration of Fat Tuesday I am doing the following flight:

VWFFR

Saz18

Handy

Jeff10 (CN)

Redemption

Cotoctin Creek

OO (90s)

Ritt (Owensboro)

Bulleit

WT101

Baby Saz

After this going to bed...........

Favorite: Saz 18 and Ritt (very sweet)

Edited by Enoch

In celebration of Fat Tuesday I am doing the following flight:

VWFFR

Saz18

Handy

Jeff10 (CN)

Redemption

Cotoctin Creek

OO (90s)

Ritt (Owensboro)

Bulleit

WT101

Baby Saz

After this going to bed...........

Favorite: Saz 18 and Ritt (very sweet)

Wish I was awash in Rittenhouse, streams have dried up around here.

It's strange. A couple of months ago, it was all over here in Seattle. Now there's none to be found. But I'm on vacation this week in Santa Barbara, and all the places I've looked have tons. My suitcase is going to be very heavy going back.

It's strange. A couple of months ago, it was all over here in Seattle. Now there's none to be found. But I'm on vacation this week in Santa Barbara, and all the places I've looked have tons. My suitcase is going to be very heavy going back.

There's a few available around Seattle right now.

Socal always seems to have a good supply of Ritt. It's been a long time since it last disappeared and I'd guess it was only gone for a month or so.

I passed on a Hirsch 25 rye for $240. Have to draw the line somewhere :smil41df29a15fb35:

Cracked open my Vintage 23 Rye for my 23rd birthday last night and whaddaya know... the cork broke:hot:. Still, it is a really nice whiskey. The nose is amazing and the taste is good, though it feels like perhaps it may have been in the wood a bit too long.

Well, the dog enjoyed his day in the sun on the back deck protected from the wind but the day got progressively colder so I'm meeting the chill of the evening with some Old Grand Dad.

Tonight, I have had a few pours of Willett 110, WT 101, KC 100, RRBIB and Jeffersons Rye. While the Willett is my favorite, the KC ruled the roost tonight.

I just noticed I posted in the wrong thread and now it's too late to edit. I really need to get my eyes checked.

I just noticed I posted in the wrong thread and now it's too late to edit. I really need to get my eyes checked.

It's alright. It was a nice change of pace. Usually, we know what your posts are going to say before we read them. ;)

Popped the cork on a Baby Saz tonight.

it's not the brash beast like a Willet, but I love the balance of it.

B

Making it back around to Ritt BIB tonight. Great drink all around and that bottle is getting low.

I opened my first High West bottle last night, the Double Rye. I didn't enjoy it very much. By far the most "minty" tasting whiskey I've ever had. I'm oddly looking forward to going back to it as it opens up. While I wasn't immediately taken with it, it was interesting. I think I'll have a dram and compare it with a Willet 4yr 110 tonight.

I've tried everything that HW has put out except the Valley Tan. Without fail, when I open a new bottle I get strange (almost unpleasant) grassy/dill notes. I encourage you to not write it off yet. That said, if you are dipping your toes into their products, I highly recommend the Rendezvous Rye! Since you're a scotch drinker, try the Campfire as well.

If I'm not mistaken I've seen some Willett 6 yr. Rye around here for ~$35. How does it compare to Rittenhouse BIB?

grassy/dill notes

That's it! Dill. It was minty as well, but not straight mint. A little strange, but I'll be revisiting for a while to see how it develops. I've definitely got some other HW bottles on my radar.

If I'm not mistaken I've seen some Willett 6 yr. Rye around here for ~$35. How does it compare to Rittenhouse BIB?

Months ago I had a 5 year Willet from Astor that I thought was really fantastic. Definitely preferred to Rittenhouse, which I also enjoy very much. I have another bottle from them, this time 4 yr, that I'm opening up tonight.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!