What Rye Are You Drinking? Winter '12/'13

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've tried everything that HW has put out except the Valley Tan. Without fail, when I open a new bottle I get strange (almost unpleasant) grassy/dill notes. I encourage you to not write it off yet. That said, if you are dipping your toes into their products, I highly recommend the Rendezvous Rye! Since you're a scotch drinker, try the Campfire as well.

What is the deal with the Grassy/dill? I hate dill!! Anyone else have a problem with the corks? they suck.

Anyway, I wasn't into the Rendezvous because of the grassy-dill, but I'm drinking the SOB now and while the grassy-dill was there when I first opened it, it disappeared and now its a pretty good pour.

What is the deal with the Grassy/dill? I hate dill!! Anyone else have a problem with the corks? they suck.

Anyway, I wasn't into the Rendezvous because of the grassy-dill, but I'm drinking the SOB now and while the grassy-dill was there when I first opened it, it disappeared and now its a pretty good pour.

HW corks are the worst. They use some really nice synthetic corks on their Silver whiskeys, wish they'd use those for the whole lineup.

Prichards Tennessee Rye. To be honest I didn't know what to expect from this one when I first opened. It is super easy drinking and I have enjoyed. It has some light grassy rye tones on the palate and a sweet finish. I don't know the price about was a gift but Inwould recommend just off taste alone. Hell, my wife even liked it.

Mike

If I'm not mistaken I've seen some Willett 6 yr. Rye around here for ~$35. How does it compare to Rittenhouse BIB?

If it's barrel proof, buy it. It will be bigger, bolder, more in your face than Ritt and probably will drink older than it is (more oak). I believe the 6-years are from KY whereas the 3, 4, and 5 year-olds have been from MGPI/LDI/the distillery formerly known as Seagram's in Indiana.

HW corks are the worst. They use some really nice synthetic corks on their Silver whiskeys, wish they'd use those for the whole lineup.

Agreed. On my first Rendezvous, the cork would actually pop itself out somehow every few minutes after I opened the bottle. However, I do think they fit in with the whole "untamed West" look that the company cultivates and look pretty cool.

A nice bold pour of VWFRR after a shitload of snow blowing tonight!Yep,I'm ready for spring!:smiley_acbt:

after last night, just one pour left of what little i have of Albert premium.

it''s a young rye, with a bit a that youthful rawness to it, but after getting some bottle air time, really became quite fruity and a bit sweeter than I remember from the last couple of pours.

B

Finally bought a bottle of Knob Creek Rye.

Now, I've made no secret of the fact that I actually like Beam's ryes. So this is a little disappointing to me. It tastes, for all practical purposes, like yellow label at 100 proof. That wouldn't be a bad thing, except that it's more than double the price.

Okay coming back to it, there is obviously some older whisky in there-- there is a nice undertone of vanilla and other barrel flavors, but man, there is a lot of young rye in there too. I read on one of the blogs (which one escapes me) that it was to be a mingling of 4 year old and 9 year old rye. If that's the case, the ratio of young to old is pretty damn high.

I don't think this is a good addition to the Knob line. Both the standard and the SB bourbons are quite good, and well aged. The KC rye doesn't quite fit into that category to me, and it's a head-scratcher that it's typically priced higher than both of the bourbons.

In terms of pure quality it's decent enough but it's no better than Ritt BiB, maybe not even as good. And Ritt about half the price.

Months ago I had a 5 year Willet from Astor that I thought was really fantastic. Definitely preferred to Rittenhouse, which I also enjoy very much. I have another bottle from them, this time 4 yr, that I'm opening up tonight.

Nothing like a good smack to the chops before heading to bed. And, the Knob Creek Rye just delivered it. It's been a while since I've visited this bottle, and now I'm sorry I've been away from it. B...O...L...D... BOLD! Now, that's a rye! :yum:

I have always stayed away from rye in fear I wouldn't like it.sound silly but tue. The only ryes I have are the BTACs and a Col. Taylor, could be worse. I forced a sample of the Saz, and dammed if it wasn't bad. Smack, I coulda had a rye!!!

I have always stayed away from rye in fear I wouldn't like it.sound silly but tue. The only ryes I have are the BTACs and a Col. Taylor, could be worse. I forced a sample of the Saz, and dammed if it wasn't bad. Smack, I coulda had a rye!!!

Jump right in. The water's fine. Get yourself a bottle of Rittenhouse BIB and dig in!

Willett 5 year old rye. I thought it was outstanding. I am impressed with the deep flavors for a relatively young whiskey. I have had Handy which I know is young and impressive and this young whipper-snapper also made me say "wow!"

Willett 5 year old rye. I thought it was outstanding. I am impressed with the deep flavors for a relatively young whiskey. I have had Handy which I know is young and impressive and this young whipper-snapper also made me say "wow!"

The age statement has to match the youngest juice in the bottle. The Willett is 95% rye... and 5% something else. That could be a 20 year rye with 5 year old bourbon added. Who knows...

Sure is tasty though.

Recently tried Whistle Pig.

Felt like I had just put rye soaked saw dust in my mouth. Dry. Oaky. Overly so on both accounts. It's unique, that's for sure.

Nosir, I don't like it. Looking forward to the Ritt when I pick it up.

amftx, out of curiosity, were you sipping bourbon before tasting Whistlepig? I have found that if I have something sweet to drink before tasting the high-rye mash bill whiskeys, my taste is thrown a bit out of whack and the rye is not nearly as appealing as it normally is.

amftx, out of curiosity, were you sipping bourbon before tasting Whistlepig? I have found that if I have something sweet to drink before tasting the high-rye mash bill whiskeys, my taste is thrown a bit out of whack and the rye is not nearly as appealing as it normally is.

I was not. It was the first sip of anything besides water or the tea I had at lunch that day. I'm still a bit of a newb especially when it comes to rye, but Whistle Pig seems like a totally different animal to me.

The age statement has to match the youngest juice in the bottle. The Willett is 95% rye... and 5% something else. That could be a 20 year rye with 5 year old bourbon added. Who knows...

Sure is tasty though.

I think you misunderstand what 95% rye refers to with respect to Willett and other LDI ryes. The mashbill consists of 95% rye and 5% barley; 95% does not refer to a vatting with a non-rye whiskey.

In the case of Willett, it's a single barrel offering. That whiskey is 5 years old, all of it.

Was going to say this but I see Jim has it covered.

I love these young Willett ryes. Had a four-year old that was incredible, currently have a five-year old that is very good and another 4 year in the bunker.

nice pour of some baby Saz tonight.

Been some time since I've had one open, still a sweet rye.

I've seen a couple in the wild recently, but haven't been too keen on the price attached to them.

B

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!