Balcones: Next stop, world domination?

timd
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Great to hear! Look forward to both higher availability and increase in what "experiments" this allows you to carry out.

I see you all and us got a hell of a good write up in tasting panel.

Great to hear! Look forward to both higher availability and increase in what "experiments" this allows you to carry out.

Yep, makes me want to try that wheat whiskey. But I don't think it is bourbon, right? Unless you are doing a wheat whiskey and a wheated bourbon in addition to the rye bourbon and rye whiskey?

Not to mention the pure pot still whiskey that sounds interesting. Unfortunately not yet in Georgia as far as I can tell.

Edited by tanstaafl2

Winston, where can I find a bottle of your bourbon? I'm down in Austin and no one even has an inventory item for it yet. When can we expect it to hit the shelves? I can't wait to try it!

Winston, where can I find a bottle of your bourbon? I'm down in Austin and no one even has an inventory item for it yet. When can we expect it to hit the shelves? I can't wait to try it!

We haven't shipped it out yet. I don't know yet when it will come out.

Come take a tour of the distillery, I'm sure we can find you a pour to sip on.

What the hell Winston? I thought you guys didn't officially make bourbon?

What the hell Winston? I thought you guys didn't officially make bourbon?

We don't. We made one barrel. It's part of our commemorative 5th Anniversary Series. You can also expect a straight single malt, a straight corn whisky and a straight version of Brimstone (called Resurrection)

Being that they are all single barrel releases, and will be at cask strength, there will barely be any to go around. We're only releasing 100 bottles of the bourbon worldwide.

Yep, makes me want to try that wheat whiskey. But I don't think it is bourbon, right? Unless you are doing a wheat whiskey and a wheated bourbon in addition to the rye bourbon and rye whiskey?

Not to mention the pure pot still whiskey that sounds interesting. Unfortunately not yet in Georgia as far as I can tell.

The article is about our wheated bourbon, right at 5 years old, in 53 gallon barrels. We have a wheat whiskey which is not far off from that whiskey, but lighter on purpose. The thing that makes good wheated bourbon for us among a few other things is they grow a fine white winter wheat here, has a flavor like nothing else. I often wonder if S-W used white wheat. It would be out, but government label approval is slow right now. The pure pot still is an irish style, which is hard to get right now. Be a while before we hit GA. All we can do to keep the northeast in whiskey right now.

Tom I read about the Pot still expression on your blog, can you tell me the proportion of unmalted barley used?

Tom I read about the Pot still expression on your blog, can you tell me the proportion of unmalted barley used?
80 percent barley, 15 malt, 5 oats

Thanks Tom, I wish more makers were as disclosive, it's not like we are all going to run out and copy your product. Do the oats add flavor?

We haven't shipped it out yet. I don't know yet when it will come out.

Come take a tour of the distillery, I'm sure we can find you a pour to sip on.

As a matter of fact, I'll be there on Friday.

I attended the Balcones tasting in Dallas last week. Previously, I had purchased Rumble (interesting and good), True Blue (great), "1" Single Malt (fabulous) and had sampled Rumble Cask Reserve (great) and Brimstone (good, but I'm new to smokey whiskey) from a friend. I can tell you that Rumble has significantly improved since 4/2011 (my current bottle) and Brimstone was far better than my previous sample. The bourbon is fantastic and Resurrection may be the best thing I've tasted ever… I was extremely impressed! I'm hoping Winston delivers these special editions to Spec's in Dallas so I can get some!

80 percent barley, 15 malt, 5 oats

Interesting. From what little I have found in the past it seems Irish single pot still whiskies run about 60/40 malted to unmalted barley (could be the reverse. Information is sparse and not always the most reliable of sources). Were you able to learn much about the ratio for present day pot still whiskey and how did that influence your choice of 80% unmalted barley, if at all?

I too am curious about the role the oats play. Is that ever used in Irish SPS whiskey as well?

Interesting. From what little I have found in the past it seems Irish single pot still whiskies run about 60/40 malted to unmalted barley (could be the reverse. Information is sparse and not always the most reliable of sources). Were you able to learn much about the ratio for present day pot still whiskey and how did that influence your choice of 80% unmalted barley, if at all?

I too am curious about the role the oats play. Is that ever used in Irish SPS whiskey as well?

I done a lot of reading, but irish used to be a lot heavier whiskey. With more unmalted barley, they even used rye at one point too. Oats where commonly used. The last of the oats went when the new middleton plant was built and that is when Irish whiskey got a lot lighter.

As a matter of fact, I'll be there on Friday.

Well then, definitely come by, just call and make an appointment first :D

I attended the Balcones tasting in Dallas last week. Previously, I had purchased Rumble (interesting and good), True Blue (great), "1" Single Malt (fabulous) and had sampled Rumble Cask Reserve (great) and Brimstone (good, but I'm new to smokey whiskey) from a friend. I can tell you that Rumble has significantly improved since 4/2011 (my current bottle) and Brimstone was far better than my previous sample. The bourbon is fantastic and Resurrection may be the best thing I've tasted ever… I was extremely impressed! I'm hoping Winston delivers these special editions to Spec's in Dallas so I can get some!

No promises... we'll only have a handful of cases for the entire state. Literally a handful (well depending on how big your hands are:p)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.