Balcones: Next stop, world domination?

timd
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

That Brimstone Resurrection is amazing. Really one of the more unique spirits I've tried - and it's good, too. Quite enjoyable and a huge finish.

Now... if you don't like Smoke, and the "standard" Brimstone is a bit too much for you, then you probably should steer clear of Resurrection - it's a monster.

Thanks for the mention, Chuck :)

http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2013/06/some-right-now-solutions-to-ndp-whiskey.html

FWIW the lack of chill filtering, flavoring and coloring are quite important to us. It's a guarantee that you get whisky, the full whisky and nothing but the whisky.

Edited by Balcones Winston

• 3 weeks later...

New still construction is in progress! Going down tomorrow to shoot some videos of the new equipment :)

Please post them.

I will. And I will post some pics in the next day or two.

• 1 month later...

Was able to sample then pull the trigger on True Blue Cask. Great split between the Baby Blue and the Texas SM. Glad I found some.

Happy to hear you like it! Always good to know we're doing well in KY :D

TN this time....still haven't found Cask strength back home.

New to the forum here and just had to post that I purchased my first bottle of Balcones Single Malt a few days ago. I picked it up off the shelf and while reading the label noticed that it was bottled on 6/18/13, my 35th Bday! In the cart it went. Now I'm just trying to decide whether to open this one or by another. Cheers.

I havent been able to find Balcones here in Knoxville, but a friend is driving some back from Texas for me. I cant wait to see what Texas is doing with whiskey.

Ralfy just published a vlog on Balcones, rating it an 88 grain whiskey mark. As usual he has a very entertaining presentation filled with interesting facts and opinions. I'm getting more excited about trying it myself next week. Worth a listen if you are interested at all in Balcones:

Ralfy just published a vlog on Balcones, rating it an 88 ...

I like Ralfy. I've been watching his videos for 3 years and learned a lot from him. Having said that, he has major biases. He tends to get carried away with whiskies from "independent"/"craft"/"artisan" producers by giving their releases extra marks whereas expressions from large producers get marks deducted.

Edited by portwood

Usually, the lower marks are from added colorant, lower proof , poor make and inferior casks.

I agree that the latter two points should affect the score - since they obviously affect taste. However, as much as I would prefer not to have them, added color* and lower proof don't necessarily detract from the taste experience.

* there are as a many "studies" that suggest e150a has, as doesn't have, an effect on taste. The malt maniacs have published "epistles" that have shown blind taste tests have proven inconclusive.

So i do have to ask, is the product availability state by state dictated by what the distributor wants to carry? Walked into 3 different shops near Nashville, TN to find AMPLE Texas Single Malt and the CS True Blue (both at a very reasonable $ i might add) yet my local shop in Louisville gave me the "all i can get is X" speech when i asked why no CS and apologized for being stocked out of the Texas Single Malt (silly me, was trying to be loyal and not buy everything while out of town).

It has more to do with which states it is most popular in. Balcones is a pretty hot seller in KY.

New to the forum here and just had to post that I purchased my first bottle of Balcones Single Malt a few days ago. I picked it up off the shelf and while reading the label noticed that it was bottled on 6/18/13, my 35th Bday! In the cart it went. Now I'm just trying to decide whether to open this one or by another. Cheers.

That's awesome! Enjoy it!

I havent been able to find Balcones here in Knoxville, but a friend is driving some back from Texas for me. I cant wait to see what Texas is doing with whiskey.
We are only distributed in Nashville and Chattanooga, not Knoxville or Memphis yet. TN is kinda weird, the state is split into 4 separate markets so in theory we'd need 4 distributors just to cover one state!

Ralfy just published a vlog on Balcones, rating it an 88 grain whiskey mark. As usual he has a very entertaining presentation filled with interesting facts and opinions. I'm getting more excited about trying it myself next week. Worth a listen if you are interested at all in Balcones:

He is using a really old bottling in the video... don't know where he got a hold of that. We plan on sending him one of the newer batches, along with some Brimstone since he seems so curious.

I agree that the latter two points should affect the score - since they obviously affect taste. However, as much as I would prefer not to have them, added color* and lower proof don't necessarily detract from the taste experience.

* there are as a many "studies" that suggest e150a has, as doesn't have, an effect on taste. The malt maniacs have published "epistles" that have shown blind taste tests have proven inconclusive.

Even if there's no effect in taste, artificial coloring isn't something I want in anything I consume ;)

Had some of the single malt last night. Had some sorghum moonshine, too. Amazing how similar the nose on the two was. This isn't meant as a bad thing, btw. That was some damned fine shine!

I think the color issue is that it is artificially added and some say they do detect its influence. Others, myself included, feel that higher proof can bring more flavor, though it is a balancing act. It just comes down to personal experience and individual taste.

I will be looking for Balcones next.

Just some addl info off subject: http://whiskyscience.blogspot.com/2011/04/caramel-e150.html

"..So, caramel does affect the flavour and it is not inert in whisky, but are the quantities used in Scotch whisky industry enough to affect the overall flavour significantly? No reliable scientific fact exists, but my guess is that they probably are significant. Does caramel impair the flavour? It could, but then again in some cases caramel might even improve the taste."

Any suggestion on which Balcones to start off with?

Edited by Jono

Even if there's no effect in taste, artificial coloring isn't something I want in anything I consume ;)

I suppose you don't consume any softdrinks and you grow ALL the food you eat ... :rolleyes:

I'm not a chemist - though I play one on the internet - but I believe e150a (the stuff used to add color to alcohol) is considered natural not artificial.

Edited by portwood

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.