Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

HighInTheMtns
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

22 hours ago, Kpiz said:

My whiskey spreadsheet indicates I have some batch #1 tucked away as well. It really is insanely dark, as Bruce said. I remember thinking that it looks like Coca-Cola.

That first batch is very, very tasty, very dark, and would go all cloudy with some water.

I think I still have a bottle of the first one somewhere, but have been enjoying batch 11 139.4 lately

I was able to acquire a bottle of the A117 over a month ago. The first couple of pours were not memorable. I'll revisit this sbs with batch 2 when I get home from summer travel. I have been lucky to have had the opportunity to enjoy a few bottles of batch 1 and bunkered a few batch 2. I have enjoyed other batches as well. 

• 3 weeks later...

I was lucky enough to find a bottle of B517 on the shelf a few days ago. Finally got to do a brief SBS with A117 last night. Overall, I like both batches for their qualities. The A117 has opened up some since the last time I've tried it.  The A117 had a livelier nose and I think I picked up some cherry(?) notes in addition to a lighter usual ECBP nose whereas the B517 was more muted (could potentially open up over time) version of the usual sweet, woody nose of ECBP. I thought B517 tasted more like a familiar, good ECBP batch whereas the A117 was a little lighter, sharper, not as sweet, and a bit of that astringent wood flavor coming through. I'm not saying the A117 is bad, it had a character of its own and I enjoyed it but if you are looking for the familiar ECBP nose and flavor, I would say that the B517 has that and just based on memory of the different batches I've tried, it would fall into the category of one of the better batches (expressed in this thread).

I have not tried these SBSBS with a batch 2 yet. I will do that soon. I'm usually not great at describing the nose and flavors. So, read and use at your own risk:)

It seems as though ECBP has finally cranked out enough bottles that the novelty is wearing off. They now seem to be found with a bit of effort around town in a lot of markets where they were just a pipe dream before.

This is good news.

10 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

It seems as though ECBP has finally cranked out enough bottles that the novelty is wearing off. They now seem to be found with a bit of effort around town in a lot of markets where they were just a pipe dream before.

This is good news.

This is happening near me as well. I snagged another batch 12 last night while picking up some rum. Might be time to stop loading the bunker...

The relative ease of finding it may also be due to the price creeping up over the past few years, at least here in the Bay Area. K&L sells it for $59.99 but besides that the lowest I've seen it priced recently is $67, and most are now at $69.99 or above.

19 hours ago, Kpiz said:

This is happening near me as well. I snagged another batch 12 last night while picking up some rum. Might be time to stop loading the bunker...

The relative ease of finding it may also be due to the price creeping up over the past few years, at least here in the Bay Area. K&L sells it for $59.99 but besides that the lowest I've seen it priced recently is $67, and most are now at $69.99 or above.

True.  I heard an interview with the Master Distiller (I can't remember his name) on a podcast not too long ago.  One of the upsides to removing the AS from EC12 was that it was going to free up a lot more for ECBP.  

If it becomes less scarce, it'll be interesting to see how long before people stop bunkering them.  5 years from now, it might be as common as WTRB, MMCS, Booker's, and FRPS.  Of course, it'll still older whiskey than any of those.  

1 hour ago, Jackinbox said:

True.  I heard an interview with the Master Distiller (I can't remember his name) on a podcast not too long ago.  One of the upsides to removing the AS from EC12 was that it was going to free up a lot more for ECBP.  

If it becomes less scarce, it'll be interesting to see how long before people stop bunkering them.  5 years from now, it might be as common as WTRB, MMCS, Booker's, and FRPS.  Of course, it'll still older whiskey than any of those.  

Also allows for the 18 and 23 to come back I think.  I was able to find a 1.5L of EC 12 that I bunkered. I like the small batch so far and really like the barrel proof B517 That i Have. 

On 8/17/2017 at 11:09 AM, Jackinbox said:

Of course, it'll still older whiskey than any of those.  

For now...

• 2 weeks later...

The reason I bunkered it for several years is because it was always available at $49-$54 per bottle. I had the opportunity to buy a bottle in Jackson Hole, Wyoming back in June. It was the B517 bottle at $58 no tax. It was still good, but different to me than previous versions. Was only there for 8 days & couldn't SBS with other versions. Still a very good value, but I stop putting any up when they changed the bottle shape!

Cheers,

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, ondarocks said:

What is the release date for the 3rd quarter? C917, I presume?

possibly, but I'm not sure it's exactly every 4 months.  There does tend to be 3-4 per year, so I would expect a September or October release for the next one.

• 2 months later...
21 hours ago, bill_B said:

Anybody else think the C917 release is absolutely amazing?

IMO,  this is best batch of the 2017 ECBP releases.

Not sure I would go with amazing but I found B and C to both be good and pretty close to one another to my palate on the day when I did a SBSBS of all three recently. But none of them reach the level of the best batches produced Some of which were amazing!) before the bottle change. Not sure why that is. It is not like the bottle itself makes any difference.

The C917 batch is very tasty indeed but based on memory I think I slightly prefer B517. Consistent with Bruce's findings, the C batch needs some water (or a small ice cube) to open up and mellow out IMO. Without any water it has a strong burned sugar note to my palate that seems to soften into more of a dark brown sugar note with a little H2O.

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

But none of them reach the level of the best batches produced Some of which were amazing!) before the bottle change. Not sure why that is. It is not like the bottle itself makes any difference.

I agree. Bought a bottle of B517 in Jackson Hole earlier in the year. It was very tasty, but didn't reach the level of other ECBP's.

Group photo from the Bunker re-org:

20171213_160727.jpg 

From left to right (unopened):  EC12s, ECNAS (Wicked Oak Society pick), ECBP Batch #3, ECBP Batch #5, ECBP Batch #11, ECBP Batch #12, ECBP A117, ECBP B517 & ECBP C917.  I also have open bottles of ECNAS (Loch & K(e)y Society picks), ECBP Batch 6 (Hazmat), 8 & 10 around somewhere.   :ph34r:

Manly men drink ECBP (just not all at the same time)!   :blink:

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 4

12 hours ago, GeeTen said:

20171213_160727.jpg 

From left to right (unopened):  EC12s, ECNAS (Wicked Oak Society pick), ECBP Batch #3, ECBP Batch #5, ECBP Batch #11, ECBP Batch #12, ECBP A117, ECBP B517 & ECBP C917.  I also have open bottles of ECNAS (Loch & K(e)y Society picks), ECBP Batch 6 (Hazmat), 8 & 10 around somewhere.   :ph34r:

Cripes!  Me thinks you like ECBP in a big way! (I have 3 batch 11’s, 2 batch 8’s and a B517 set aside for medical purposes only!)

21 hours ago, GeeTen said:

So uh, what's your favorite bourbon...? That's a damn fine collection. 

ECBP is my favorite as well. Unlike most other bottles, it's tough to find in Austin. I've only seen one bottle and it was $100. Back when I lived in Rochester I could find it on the reg' for  $55ish. Back then I quickly downed 7 bottles of Batch 7 and 2 of Batch 9.  Now I've been stuck nursing a single Batch 11 bottle for 6 months.

I picked up a couple C batch bottles the other day.  Have not cracked it yet.  Still working through the B batch.  

So uh, what's your favorite bourbon...? That's a damn fine collection. 

ECBP is my favorite as well. Unlike most other bottles, it's tough to find in Austin. I've only seen one bottle and it was $100. Back when I lived in Rochester I could find it on the reg' for  $55ish. Back then I quickly downed 7 bottles of Batch 7 and 2 of Batch 9.  Now I've been stuck nursing a single Batch 11 bottle for 6 months.

Rochester, NY? I'm in Houston and it's very hard to find got lucky picked a few up from TW but that seems to have dried up. I was in Rochester, NY for Thanksgiving and saw a full shelf for $55.

On 12/20/2017 at 10:18 AM, HoustonNit said:

Rochester, NY? I'm in Houston and it's very hard to find got lucky picked a few up from TW but that seems to have dried up. I was in Rochester, NY for Thanksgiving and saw a full shelf for $55.

Ugh! Man I wish we could find that price and availability in TX. This is literally the ONLY significant whisk(e)y that I found cheaper and more available in ROC than in ATX. I do know know a local joint, one of many named Tejas Liquors, that has EBPB, I think it was batch 11, for $105.00. I just couldn't do  it. 

Pretty much everything else I can think of is more available and cheaper in ATX. Speaking in ROC terms, Specs and Total Wine are the Wegman's of liquor stores. And I'll say, having a regular source of WP 10yo CS barrel picks form Specs has soothed my misery for missing out on ECPB.

Ugh! Man I wish we could find that price and availability in TX. This is literally the ONLY significant whisk(e)y that I found cheaper and more available in ROC than in ATX. I do know know a local joint, one of many named Tejas Liquors, that has EBPB, I think it was batch 11, for $105.00. I just couldn't do  it. 

Pretty much everything else I can think of is more available and cheaper in ATX. Speaking in ROC terms, Specs and Total Wine are the Wegman's of liquor stores. And I'll say, having a regular source of WP 10yo CS barrel picks form Specs has soothed my misery for missing out on ECPB.

I guess your not a Weller’s guy, the main benefit of Texas over NY bourbon selection. I went to Premier in Buffalo they had some great barrel selections, probably most I’ve seen in one store. Issue was things like BT and WT where $5-$10 more than pricing here. Also they said that both are usually not on the shelf. Also saw things like Parker’s and Kentucky Owl on the shelf, unheard of here in Tx, however at a $20-$30 over retail price.

• 2 months later...
On 2/28/2018 at 6:48 PM, bill_B said:

Anybody else picked up the first 2018 release yet?

I think it's pretty tasty!

Haven’t seen it yet. I’ve been expecting to see it soon! How does it compare to other batches you’ve tried? Proof?

13 hours ago, Adam777 said:

Haven’t seen it yet. I’ve been expecting to see it soon! How does it compare to other batches you’ve tried? Proof?

It's 130.6.  Haven't seen it here in the Bay Area yet, tho.  Here's a review I found.

https://bourbonjedi.com/?p=453

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.