Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

HighInTheMtns
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

19 hours ago, Madhatter said:

Howdy, amg,

Your comment reminded me of a blast from the past.     https://whiskeylately.com/bourbon/elijah-craig-12-blend/

He goes at the EC12 vs. water choices a bit systematically.  

Salud.

M-H

Yep, pretty similar to my results. I think I proofed down to 107 myself and let them rest a couple days in sample bottles.

I think they're just putting higher quality barrels into the barrel proof.

42 minutes ago, amg said:

I think they're just putting higher quality barrels into the barrel proof.

Another illustration, I believe, that good batching can get good results without going the single barrel route.  I never understood why HH uses single barrels for McKenna 100.  If they batched the McKenna, the results would be just as good, while eliminating the risk from barrel variation.

• 2 weeks later...

I am traveling for work and staying in Fort Wayne, Indiana.  I usually make it up here a 3 or 4 times a year and visit a couple of different stores.  I usually have luck finding something that I can't find at Indy in these stores.  This time was no different as I saw a single bottle of ECBP A117 on the shelf at one of the stores.  Since it usually doesn't hit the shelves in Indy, I bought it even thought it was $68.99.  I then headed to the opposite side of town to another store in the same chain.  It also had a bottle on the shelf but I passed.  I then visited the second store and they had 3 bottles on the shelf for $61.99.  It curbed my excitement on my initial find a little since I could have bought it cheaper.  However, I didn't know and there is nothing I can do about it now.

I ended up seeing 5 bottles of ECBP A117 on the shelf at three different stores.  I haven't seen ECBP on the shelf ever in Indy.  The lady at the first store was very nice and was surprised when I told her we don't find it often in Indy.  She said she thought we got everything being a bigger market.  I told her that was the problem, more people seeking higher end bottles.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried the B517 124 proof batch yet and care to share impressions? Thanks!

On June 2, 2017 at 11:27 AM, Charlutz said:

Has anyone tried the B517 124 proof batch yet and care to share impressions? Thanks!

I just picked up a bottle tonight. Hopefully will be able to open tomorrow night. I'm a little scared the proof has gone down the last two batches. Although that doesn't mean much as compared to what's in the bottle. Good news is EHTBP has gone from 127 to 128 and I was luck enough to come across a stash tonight as well.

On 6/4/2017 at 0:29 AM, Bbstout said:

I just picked up a bottle tonight. Hopefully will be able to open tomorrow night. I'm a little scared the proof has gone down the last two batches. Although that doesn't mean much as compared to what's in the bottle. Good news is EHTBP has gone from 127 to 128 and I was luck enough to come across a stash tonight as well.

The proof goes up and down from batch-to-batch and doesn't correlate to my enjoyment of them. 62% is still plenty of punch.

On 6/3/2017 at 9:29 PM, Bbstout said:

Why is it good news that EHTBP has gone up one proof point?

14 hours ago, flahute said:

Because 128>127.  That's math. 

6 minutes ago, Charlutz said:

Haha That's funny!

It would be cool to do a blind SBS and see if anybody can pick the higher proof

7 minutes ago, RWBadley said:

Haha That's funny!

It would be cool to do a blind SBS and see if anybody can pick the higher proof

If everyone had to pick one, I'd guess half would get it right...

14 hours ago, flahute said:

Maybe because I perceive higher proof=Better Value. A beer analogy would be 2 Guinness Stouts=1 Craft Beer Stout. 5% ABV compared to 10% ABV. 

10 minutes ago, Bbstout said:

Maybe because I perceive higher proof=Better Value. A beer analogy would be 2 Guinness Stouts=1 Craft Beer Stout. 5% ABV compared to 10% ABV. 

Well, my 129 (batch 3) beats your 128...  How about them apples...  Sorry, couldn't resist--just kidding around.  Seriously though, just enjoy the EHTBP.  It is a favorite of mine, and I have several stashed away of different batches.  They're all really good, and EHTBP is a nice counterpoint to ECBP.

59 minutes ago, dcbt said:

If everyone had to pick one, I'd guess half would get it right...

Many variables. Maybe nobody would get it right- but for all the right reasons!

2 minutes ago, RWBadley said:

Many variables. Maybe nobody would get it right- but for all the right reasons!

Actually it's simple math.  If there are two choices, everyone would have a 50/50 chance to pick the right one.  (So, yes, I'm saying nobody could tell a difference in proof, but by sheer luck odds say half of everyone would pick the right one - over the long run, anyway.)

1 hour ago, Charlutz said:

And yet......it matters not. 

1 hour ago, Bbstout said:

I hear you, but that's nowhere near the same as a 1/127th gain in proof. Indistinguishable. 

Just now, flahute said:

And yet......it matters not. 

Now that's funny. :lol: I was kinda thinking the same thing about the Stagg Jr batches. (aside from batch #1.<_<) Some differences in proof, but all good. :P

Cheers! Joe

Since these are all CS batches, isn't it possible that a significant difference in proof indicates a change in either the age or the warehouse location (high rack vs low rack) where they're pulling barrels from? This could certainly change the overall profile (not necessarily for the better or for the worse). I guess my point is that while I don't think high proof is superior in flavor to lower proof, it could mean it will have a different flavor. The again, batch 7 had the lowest proof of the first dozen batches and I don't recall it being significantly different than the others... Wow, I really came full circle with that one.

Also, I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but Fred Minnick really liked batch A117

On 6/6/2017 at 5:13 PM, flahute said:

I hear you, but that's nowhere near the same as a 1/127th gain in proof. Indistinguishable. 

Hey Steve, Is that like the "Law of Large Numbers" that doesn't significantly increase your winning a Powerball Lottery until you buy more tickets than any one dealer can sell?????      :wacko:

Sometimes higher proof wins, sometimes it doesn't.  If the whiskey lacks complexity and flavor, higher proof helps bail it out.  Otherwise, I prefer whiskey in the 100-105 proof range, maybe 110, with complexity and a nice finish.  Just like when I was dating in college. :lol:

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 9:22 PM, mbroo5880i said:

Sometimes higher proof wins, sometimes it doesn't.  If the whiskey lacks complexity and flavor, higher proof helps bail it out.  Otherwise, I prefer whiskey in the 100-105 proof range, maybe 110, with complexity and a nice finish.  Just like when I was dating in college. :lol:

You were dating 100-110 year olds??? That must have limited the options... B)

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Now that's funny. :lol: 

FWIW, I joined the army right after I graduated from high school. Man, back then, the younger stuff .........ooops never mind. ^_^ Don't want to get myself in trouble. :P

Cheers! Joe

4 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Awesome! :lol: Truthfully, most dates back then were NAS.  We didn't ask and they didn't tell. :D   

• 2 weeks later...

Found a place that had A117 on the shelf (first I have seen in NJ) and reluctantly paid $75 for it, they had 10 bottles but based on the feedback I figured I would just buy 1 for now, still have 3 or 4 at home of various other batches so didn't see any real reason to bunker up.  If anyone local wants to know the store just PM me.

When you find the newest release B517, get what you can while sharing because it is wonderful!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.