Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

HighInTheMtns
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

56 minutes ago, Hop said:

I was told it was the latest release when I was there in December and it makes sense as what they have for sale would be the latest and not something from several batches back.  

While I don't know all of the following to be fact here is what I understand of what is sold at their and other Distillery Gift Shops:  The bourbon first has to go to a distributor then back to the distillery to be sold which follows along with the system in place in the US (Distiller to Distributor to Retailer).  From a common sense approach I would guess that the actual product never leaves the distillery but all the legalities are just handled on paper (HH Distillery shipped 10 cases of XXX to distributor at $xx, HHGS received 10 cases of XXX from distributor at $xx) as the actual transport of the product to and from would make no sense

Thank you for the additional info. Sounds like any 139.4 proof ECBP we see on the shelf at this point could plausibly be batch 11 or batch 13.

Interesting details about the gift shop. I knew the three-tier system was still in play for bottles sold there but hadn't considered the logistics.

Do you recall what the HH gift shop charges for ECBP?

32 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

Do you recall what the HH gift shop charges for ECBP?

It was $74.99 back in December - limit 1 per person

Edited by Hop

Asked about 2017 release dates. In the past the first batches of the year have been released Jan, Feb, Mar. so who knows...

IMG_1462.PNG

On 1/23/2017 at 1:43 PM, Hop said:

Batch 13 is out.  Saw it at the GS back in December the proof is 139.4 if I remember correctly which is the same as an earlier batch

Nice to know, thanks.

10 hours ago, JTaylor said:

Asked about 2017 release dates. In the past the first batches of the year have been released Jan, Feb, Mar. so who knows...

IMG_1462.PNG

Thanks for the update.

Minnick just tweeted that future releases of ECBP will have batch numbers on the label. This will make them easier to identify and track in the event two batches end up with the same proof.

17 hours ago, flahute said:

Minnick just tweeted that future releases of ECBP will have batch numbers on the label. This will make them easier to identify and track in the event two batches end up with the same proof.

It took them 12 batches to figure out that might be a good idea? I could have told them that with the first batch and I wouldn't have wanted more than, say a case per batch, for my remarkable insight!

Ok, maybe two cases... B)

15 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

It took them 12 batches to figure out that might be a good idea? I could have told them that with the first batch and I wouldn't have wanted more than, say a case per batch, for my remarkable insight!

Ok, maybe two cases... B)

And... Two cases of each batch is not at all unreasonable for such a worthy (and overdue by HH) idea. ...Especially when it comers from no less a personage than the currently presiding Bourbonian of the Year, no less!

I'll cast my vote herewith for your 'two case reward', Bruce!    I anxiously await HH's e-mail on the topic.

7 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

I'll cast my vote herewith for your 'two case reward', Bruce!    I anxiously await HH's e-mail on the topic.

I'll second that!

I'm anxious to hear what they say as well. Will it actually be a batch number, or will they give each batch a funky name with a semi-historical background story like Beam did with Booker's?

47 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

I'll second that!

I'm anxious to hear what they say as well. Will it actually be a batch number, or will they give each batch a funky name with a semi-historical background story like Beam did with Booker's?

The batch that Minnick had was Batch No. A117. It was on a sample bottle so it's not clear if the same naming convention will carry over to the regular bottles.

50 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

I'll second that!

From the Whiskycast Facebook page:

16299111_10154167443022116_2330539257698

"Interesting note out of Bourbon Country today...Heaven Hill is starting to add batch numbers to its Elijah Craig Barrel Proof bottles. The first letter of the code designates the release order, the first digit the month of the release, and the final two digits identify the year. They haven't quite explained how they're going to handle releases in October through December, though. 1f609.png "

maybe it's me, but I'm not sure I understand the letter.  Would they actually release two batches in a given month?  Or would they follow A117 with B217 and then cycle back to A after Z is used?

A neighboring county is an ABC county and is usually very fair with their pricing and in some instances has huge bargains. They just raised their price. They were at $49.99 less than a year ago and went to $58.99 around the end of the summer. This week the price went up to $64.99. I'm still a buyer but the value margin is shrinking. 

1 hour ago, Charlutz said:

A neighboring county is an ABC county and is usually very fair with their pricing and in some instances has huge bargains. They just raised their price. They were at $49.99 less than a year ago and went to $58.99 around the end of the summer. This week the price went up to $64.99. I'm still a buyer but the value margin is shrinking. 

I believe VA is still $49.99 (or at least they were when the last batch rolled through) and their prices generally aren't very good (usually straight MSRP with very little sale items and fairly small discounts even when they are on sale),

11 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

The fact that they're sending out samples probably means the next batch is coming soon. 

That would be nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried the latest batch? Locally I'm hearing the price is up to $75 and some are commenting they don't think it measures up to previous releases. One comment was is was rather thin.

51 minutes ago, Gerry M said:

Has anyone tried the latest batch? Locally I'm hearing the price is up to $75 and some are commenting they don't think it measures up to previous releases. One comment was is was rather thin.

That is one of the merits of this site - thick, thin, or in between, we'll hear about it here first.

I plan to try it this weekend. I managed to get a couple bottles and will open one and do a sbs with the last pours of an older batch. I'll post pics and impressions. 

5 hours ago, Gerry M said:

I'm have a very hard time believing that a 127 proof ECBP is coming off as "thin".

47 minutes ago, flahute said:

I'm have a very hard time believing that a 127 proof ECBP is coming off as "thin".

I would agree but I'll withhold description until I taste it. It helps that tasting it is imminent! I saw some comments that 127 proof was 'slipping.' People get a bit carried away with the numbers. The infatuation with the hazmat batches seems a bit macho to me without regard to what the whiskey tastes like. Ironic counterpoint - the first accolade given to a barrel proof bourbon that drinks smoothly is that 'it's so awesome it doesn't taste like its stated proof.' Confounding. 

I almost always have good luck with lower proof barrel strength whiskies.  I actually made a point of seeking them out in the past.  Heck, the 48ish percent BP SAOS I have open right now is outstanding.

My next point is that 127 proof is what I would personally consider to still be quite high.

I'm curious about this new batch as well.  It hasn't hit locally but I have a few lines in the water.  I'm reading reviews now and one is describing thick caramel goodness.

Edited by Nm0369

3 hours ago, Charlutz said:

I saw some comments that 127 proof was 'slipping.'

Whenever you see that, you know that you no longer need to listen to what those people say.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.