Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

HighInTheMtns
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've asked the local shop a few times over the last two weeks about whether this will be coming in. I stopped in today for some boxes and asked again during checkout. The manager, who knows I'm always on the lookout for special releases, had a surprised smile and turned around to lift a napkin covering 6 small sample pours. I liked it a lot. It was hot, but not annoyingly so, like the heat was kept to the entry and palate, and not the finish. The finish was looooooooooong. I was still tasting cinnamon red-hot candy in the car 20 minutes later.

I told him I had been following the product launch around the country. He asked me if I knew what the price was and I said I thought MSRP was $44.99 and that I had heard of people purchasing it from anywhere between $35-$60. I asked if MSRP was $45, what would they sell it at and he guessed it would be around $56. I thought that was interesting, but I'm sure there's a least a paper thin reasoning behind the markup...maybe?

*edit - The samples were left by a sales rep earlier today. They don't expect to get any bottles for another few weeks.

It was Pappy's maxim to make it quality and keep it in short supply.

That's becoming part of the Pappy mythology but I'm not so sure it's really true. He believed in quality, absolutely, and believed that higher quality could and should command a premium price, but there's no evidence of Pappy trying to create scarcity with any Stitzel-Weller products. His advice to Bill Samuels was "make my recipe and charge an arm and a leg for it." Nothing about, "and keep it in short supply." Although I have seen that attributed to him in other places (I'm not picking on you, Squire), there's no support for it in the record.

I think you and squire might both be referring to the Pappy brand/general phenomenon and not the man himself. That's how I read it because that is what makes squire the most right. Pappy as a market phenom. (specifically, a wildly successful one) is having ripple effects across many different distilleries and the brands they put out. EC12BP's first release mirrors the basic Pappy strategies (premium concept framing, low availability, higher but still accessible price [primary market], promotion among the hobbyists, very etc.) to great effect. I probably would have liked the idea of a BP EC12 anyway, but now they have me hooked in good.

And hell, I probably will want some more EC12 in the meantime. Do we think that this, by the way, was a major purpose to putting out the EC12BP - to increase interest in EC12?

Obviously EC12BP very much justifies itself. Putting out premiums is good profit-seeking strategy in itself. But will EC12BP also increase sales of EC12 in a significant way?

I think you and squire might both be referring to the Pappy brand/general phenomenon and not the man himself. That's how I read it because that is what makes squire the most right. Pappy as a market phenom. (specifically, a wildly successful one) is having ripple effects across many different distilleries and the brands they put out. EC12BP's first release mirrors the basic Pappy strategies (premium concept framing, low availability, higher but still accessible price [primary market], promotion among the hobbyists, very etc.) to great effect. I probably would have liked the idea of a BP EC12 anyway, but now they have me hooked in good.

They're talking about Pappy the man, although I think it's pretty obvious that the "PVW" strategy of short supply of a seemingly "special" bottling driving demand is an influence with this bottling (and many others, for that matter.)

And hell, I probably will want some more EC12 in the meantime. Do we think that this, by the way, was a major purpose to putting out the EC12BP - to increase interest in EC12?

Obviously EC12BP very much justifies itself. Putting out premiums is good profit-seeking strategy in itself. But will EC12BP also increase sales of EC12 in a significant way?

I bought one shortly after finding out about the BP version. I drink it pretty regularly and I'd have bought one sooner or later but the BP version did make that happen sooner. I have to assume that increasing interest in EC12 and the extra aged ECs was a motivation - they certainly could have done this release in other packaging if not. They have another approved label for a HH branded barrel proofer.

Edited by HighInTheMtns

Just purchased four bottles and popped one open as soon as I got home.

Note that I am an obsessed SW and wheated bourbon drinker only with very limited taste profile that I like. For example I don't like THH at all but do have one open and one in the bunker to keep trying.

Surprising to me, I really like this one and can't stop drinking it.

A great drink with very deep amber color, syrupy, nice nose, great taste, mild finish but not much of any alcohol burn finish at all. This is going to be my daily pour.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Hugh

There should be something in Sally Campbell's book so I'll see if I can dig it out.

This is going to be my daily pour.

I wouldn't get your hopes up. It's not going to be that abundant.

mild finish but not much of any alcohol burn finish at all.

Hugh

I'm not sure we're drinking the same thing :)

I wouldn't get your hopes up. It's not going to be that abundant.

I left two for others to pick up. Hahaha. I read that this may be coming out around the year though. I like this so much better than the LotB at the moment. I had three good size pour tonight.

I'm not sure we're drinking the same thing :)

I have read many said there is a fair bit of heat. But with it on some ice I don't feel it at all. And I am one who's very sensitive to the alcohol burn and finish. Maybe this is a better batch to me? For example when freshly open for the PHC2010, I have to exhale deeply after sipping to expel the alcohol, this was not the case from the first pour. Maybe the ECBP heat is from drinking it neat which I have not done. So far it's fantastic on the rocks.

Cheers

Hugh

I usually take a couple sips neat before throwing in some water - and I've found it pleasantly warm, but not a hot-bite like I'd expect (honestly, it feels lower proof than it is to me). When I take a sip of GTS neat, it has a lot more edge than this. I do hope that this is more widely available year round - and that future batches are just like this one. I've never had more than two of any one label at any one time - but would give long consideration to several more of this.

Went back to pick up some more 2012 4RLE and took ;) a look at the ECBP of the two I left yesterday and someone had picked them up. Hopefully they are enjoying it as much as us.

Cheers

Hugh

Finally got a bottle and finding it delicious. Lots of toffee, orange chocolate pumpernickel, cola vanilla. Rich full flavored ,mouthfeel. Nice dry finish. Cant wait for the GBS version. Only took a year:skep: at least. Ill buy all the Bottles I see.

Finally got a bottle and finding it delicious. Lots of toffee, orange chocolate pumpernickel, cola vanilla. Rich full flavored ,mouthfeel. Nice dry finish. Cant wait for the GBS version. Only took a year:skep: at least. Ill buy all the Bottles I see.

Sounds fantastic, cant wait till it hits Maryland.

GBS version, you say? I must have missed any mention of that... Mind sharing? Thanks!!

I finally got a taste of this and it's the real deal. I thought it was surprisingly balanced and not overly hot. It had a pleasant sweetness to it and was intensely flavorful. I tasted it back to back with the new Russell's Reserve Single Barrel and the ECBP was far superior. I will definitely be buying more of this.

Thanks to the generous info of my Compliance Officer, I took acquired an ECBS, but I'm holding out on opening it until I thin out the herd in my bar a bit...I'm stocked up HEAVY right now.

.I'm stocked up HEAVY right now.

I offer a Whiskey Disposal service completely FREE of charge.

I offer a Whiskey Disposal service completely FREE of charge.

All you have to do Brian, is show up in ohio, and you can help me dispose of mine, pour by pour...FREE of charge

I got my bottle a couple days ago but of course since it came from the distillery it's this extraordinary, ungodly good whiskey that no one except me and John Hansell will ever taste. Sorry, Suckers.

I got my bottle a couple days ago but of course since it came from the distillery it's this extraordinary, ungodly good whiskey that no one except me and John Hansell will ever taste. Sorry, Suckers.

I just found this great photo of Chuck on his website.

ChuckTroll_zps28c35ac7.jpg

:lol: Well Chuck somebody has to do the dirty work around here, it might as well be you.

Funny you should mention it . . . when I had my first drink, I thought "holy @#$ - they sent the GOOD stuff out to the distributors by accident! I hope Chuck, John and others don't get the generic crap". But THEN, I thought . . . wait a minute . . . could lead to less than stellar public reviews . . . oh PLEEEEEZZZZ let them have botched it up and sent the wrong stuff!! :slappin:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.