Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

HighInTheMtns
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

eagerly waiting. checked a few spots that were on my way home from work, on a whim, yesterday knowing that it's probably not out this way yet. goose eggs.

I'll let you know when it hits the distributor because I'll be ordering that week.

Today I was told by The Brownsboro Party Mart in Louisville that they got 6 bottles last Friday and that they were all gone by end of business, same day. Not what I wanted to hear. On the other hand, Liquor Barn, our jumbo retailer here, apparently just added it to their system but have none on the shelves yet.

No idea what any of this means.

Well I "think" I figured out how to post a pic. Im on an Ipear so it still may not work. I have had this bottle for a while and it shows age statement right on the lable. (its the big red #12)

I bought an identical bottle to this on the shelves of a local store about three weeks ago. The guy working had no clue where or when they got it but was priced the same as standard 12 yr EC...at the time I was hoping I'd lucked into the new release but that doesn't look like the case...

Does anyone know how this bottle would have ended up on the shelf here? It's a bit of a mystery to me at this point.

Went to the store Sunday just to make sure it wasn't there. Ended up dropping $350 on other stuff that caught my eye. Damn

It says online they are in 8 Midwestern states.... the separate liquor store section is where all the goodies are...

They are based out of Des Moines IA. I shop at the one in Maryville MO pretty good selection but they have been stocking a lot of flavored whiskey's that takes up room where bourbon was, college town. I haven't seen the ECBP there yet.

Well, it's here, but it probably isn't by now. Got the last one at one of the Barns in Lex. They only rcvd one case (3 bottles). It's my understanding that there were only 10 cases total for all of the barns, Lex and Louisville. Yikes.

Went to the store Sunday just to make sure it wasn't there. Ended up dropping $350 on other stuff that caught my eye. Damn

Please take a picture of you liquor cabinet & post. Sounds..... well stocked.

just found out the atlanta area allocation for EC 12 barrel proof is 120 bottles. they land on friday. stores might have em by early next week. happy hunting :grin:

Old Town Liquor in Louisville had 3 come in and go out immediately yesterday to people who had pre-ordered. Never hit the shelf. Still waiting to hear about my pre-order at Westport Whiskey and Wine. I was told I could only pre-order one due to low supply/high demand.

Got a chance to try this great juice at the Bourbon Classic and you guys will not be disappointed. It's big and rich. It's also no Parker's Heritage, but if you love EC12 and you're a fan of big proof, I'm almost certain you'll love it.

Old Town Liquor in Louisville had 3 come in and go out immediately yesterday to people who had pre-ordered. Never hit the shelf. Still waiting to hear about my pre-order at Westport Whiskey and Wine. I was told I could only pre-order one due to low supply/high demand.

Got a chance to try this great juice at the Bourbon Classic and you guys will not be disappointed. It's big and rich. It's also no Parker's Heritage, but if you love EC12 and you're a fan of big proof, I'm almost certain you'll love it.

Had a good friend pick me up one this evening. Was also told Liquor Barn Westport rd received six bottles. May be worth a shot if you are in Louisville and looking. I am eager to try this.

Just came home with my first opportunity to sample (from my own bottle of) Elijah Craig Barrel Proof.

WOW! If anyone's looking for an "in-your-face-bourbon"... This Is IT! Big aroma, pretty woody (but I like that), very bold flavors of vanilla, caramel, walnuts, tobacco... and alot more! A bit astringent, but not too much so. If you're looking for a refined and genteel dram... THIS is definitely NOT IT! Non-chill filtering: Thank You!!! This one is for big-flavor bourbon lovers. Very Dark! ...Not quite molasses, but close. The flavors are so intense it may be off-putting to some of the more carefully trained palates... HA! NOT MINE!!! This is one to bunker if you can, and if you favor big and bold.

just found out the atlanta area allocation for EC 12 barrel proof is 120 bottles. they land on friday. stores might have em by early next week. happy hunting :grin:

The good thing is that the two stores Ive asked at didnt know anything about it. One got on the phone with his salesman, guy knew nothing about. Salesman had to call his HH rep to get info. Very limited supply, but supposedly giving me a call when they arrive and putting one back for me.

Fingers crossed, my first time being around for a release that I'm excited about, can afford without feeling like I'm taking food out of my kids mouth, and have a decent chance of getting. The chase is on :)

I've got someone promising to set one aside for me as well.

HH has to be putting this out in such a limited release for future positioning. The standard EC is already 12 years old, so how big of a deal can it be to do a barrel proof of the same juice? They have to be looking to create a buzz similar to PVW and BTAC.

Going out to try and find a bottle or two of it this weekend. Anybody with any tips, let me know.

Personally I found it exceedingly hot and unpleasant at full strength, but a real nice drinker when brought down somewhere between that and regular ole EC 12. Call it EC114. Will definitely spend some more time with it over this long weekend and may post some more thorough notes.

Edited by MyOldKyDram

Personally I found it exceedingly hot and unpleasant at full strength, but a real nice drinker when brought down somewhere between that and regular ole EC 12. Call it EC114. Will definitely spend some more time with it over this long weekend and may post some more thorough notes.

That's exactly what I thought when we selected a dual-barrel last year tasting it at barrel proof (hot yet tasty). It came to us at label proof (94) .. and I thought that had taken it a bit too far. I'm with you on trying it in the 107-114 area ... look forward to your thoughts on that.

Cigar Dan makes a valid point, there is no shortage of EC 12 at 94 proof. If Atlanta can only get 120 bottles I doubt our little corner of paradise will see one.

I haven't seen any in Illinois as of yet,I'm hearing first week in April any word from Chicago venues yet?

Going out to try and find a bottle or two of it this weekend. Anybody with any tips, let me know.

I haven't seen any in Illinois as of yet,I'm hearing first week in April any word from Chicago venues yet?

Wain - they're around, but scarce. I got one at Binnys but only because I reserved it about a month ago. My location (one of the larger but not the largest) received 6 bottles.

FYI, some of the stores received another allocation of PHC if you're interested.

Happy hunting.

I paid $49.99 in Wyandotte. A bit steep compared to the suggested reatil (according to HH: $39.99); but, still a very interesting dram, with a great deal to offer, and I'm not sorry I paid it for mine. Some in this thread seem to think it's too hot. I sipped mine slowly and enjoyed it immensely (with water chasers after each sip). I guess everyon'e palate is different, eh?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.