Barrel proof bourbons

Meruck
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Barrel proof bourbons have become more and more popular as the "whiskey frenzy" escalates. There are obvious reasons for this, its better. Most of the time.

I'm kicking off this thread with Abraham Bowman Limited Edition Virginia Whiskey. Bourbon.

Distilled 12-14-94

Bottled 5-11-12

147.5 proof

Deep amber, robust bouquet. Notes of vanilla and caramel. Hot Hot Hot, rich and leathery with everything a good bourbon needs. It has a long chewy finish with just enough brimstone to remind you of the proof.

Says rare right on the bottle........I got mine at a NASA surplus auction.

post-9455-14489818701145_thumb.jpg

When I logged on today it was like no one turned the lights out. Kind of lonely today.

Anyway I figure I would add another bottle to the thread.

Parker's Heritage 1st Edition. Amply named; Cask Strength.

No age statement (but its old)

122.6 proof.

Deep luxurious color. Smells just like bourbon should. Smooth and long, cherry, vanilla, caramel, leather and spice, lots and lots of spice. There's also plenty of wood but certainly not too much. This is the bottle one would need on a cold night by the fire in the hunting cabin (you know, the one we can't aford but always wanted).

When this was first released I obtained 2 full cases. Thats was back when bunkering was foreign to me. Now I only have a few left and I keep them hidden, mostly from myself. After the first bottle it was nicknamed "one shoe whiskey". I'm sure the reasons why are understood.

post-9455-14489818705594_thumb.jpg

I was a complete idiot for not buying more of this last July when at the Gift Shop. Spectacular by any standard.

label1_zps84a17c6a.jpg

label2_zpsa28d2b64.jpg

Mr. Rutledge speaks glowingly of the 17 year old but I was under the impression it was but the one barrel.

Mr. Rutledge speaks glowingly of the 17 year old but I was under the impression it was but the one barrel.

You are correct, Squire. The one that was opened by one of our guys was from that barrel. Rutledge noted earlier that he buys bottles just like the rest of us and that he was only able to grab two bottles from that barrel and that both are still unopened on his shelf at home. As Ray noted, he lit up like a baby at Christmas when handed that bottle. It was one he had signed at the gift shop back in October when we scooped up the last of the barrel's offerings. My bottle is also unopened so kudos to the guy that brought his to share. Finally got a taste and it is, as advertised, delightful!

The 100th Anniv is a 17 yr OBSV too. And I think these gift shop bottlings were from several barrels.

You are correct, Squire. The one that was opened by one of our guys was from that barrel. Rutledge noted earlier that he buys bottles just like the rest of us and that he was only able to grab two bottles from that barrel and that both are still unopened on his shelf at home. As Ray noted, he lit up like a baby at Christmas when handed that bottle. It was one he had signed at the gift shop back in October when we scooped up the last of the barrel's offerings. My bottle is also unopened so kudos to the guy that brought his to share. Finally got a taste and it is, as advertised, delightful!

Really? You guys liked that stuff? :grin:

Today is the venerable W.L. Weller BTAC

No age statement

126.6 proof.

This one doesnt need much introduction.

mmmMmmm Good............!!!

post-9455-14489818710313_thumb.jpg

Oh...and my brand new whiskey glass.......................thanks Brother..........

Trey,

This thread is supposed to go where the posters take it. I personally have a full rack of barrel proofs and more seem to show up every day. The concept was to have the members sample and opine on different bottlings more than just post a list.

The full strength bourbon (barrel proof) is typically the full expression of the distillers vision and is for the true bourbon drinker.

Do you have a favorite or even unique one? Please, show and tell.

Tonight is Blanton's Straight from the Barrel.

Dumped 3/08/2012 (just missed its birthday, should have baked a cake)

132.5 proof

Interstingly enough, I have bottle 132...........

A nice pour. alcohl and oak are right there. This is high octane for sure.

A really full flavor representation of the Blanton's brand.

post-9455-14489818718473_thumb.jpg

Here are few good lookin' (and tasting) babes:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14918[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14919[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14920[/ATTACH]

good drinking right there!

Those are nice Joe. What do you think of that PHC wheated?

It's at the top of my wheater list and I have had other premiums such as JPS, WLW, VW Lot B, and ORVW. I wish HH would put out a premium wheater like this year round. Maybe 105 proof and $40.

FYI - It drinks a little hot. I let it sit in a glass for at least 30 min. and/or add a little water before consuming. YMMV

The full strength bourbon (barrel proof) is typically the full expression of the distillers vision and is for the true bourbon drinker.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.