Barrel proof bourbons

Meruck
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I don't see how I got out of the liquor store without noticing the fill level. Do you think they'll buy that story?

OWA has become one of my recent favorites and does not last long around here. I'd like it even better at 10yrs.

I don't see how I got out of the liquor store without noticing the fill level. Do you think they'll buy that story?

Thanks Joe, I just spit beer all over my office key board. Lucky for me I dont use it for much more than SB postings, and one of the other guys has an identical one. Except his is covered in beer and doesnt work very well...................anymore.

While its not a high "barrel proof" it does say it is the "original" barrel proof, and oh my my, its truly "fine bourbon". Especially out of my Whisk(e)y glass from Canada, designed in Scotland.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15272[/ATTACH] date the bottle to 1977 ish

*Sigh* (wipes drool from chin) ... :yum:

Finally.............!!

Just got it, and since its Friday I'm not going to wait. The best samples are on a "freash" pallet anyway.

uuuhhh, thats nice. And it could do double duty in the camp stove in a pinch.

post-9455-14489818977713_thumb.jpg

...And it could do double duty in the camp stove in a pinch.

Instead of Coleman fuel?

Okay, I think this is it for my barrel proofs.

So far, I'm calling this pecan pie in a bottle. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

post-9262-1448981897831_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

It's a debatable point but I prefer to think of things like RRSmBSB, WTRB, OWA, etc as "over-proof" or something like that. Anything that is brought to a standard proof through the addition of water cannot be barrel proof to me.

It's a debatable point but I prefer to think of things like RRSmBSB, WTRB, OWA, etc as "over-proof" or something like that. Anything that is brought to a standard proof through the addition of water cannot be barrel proof to me.

I agree with this statement.

Do they add water to WTRB? I always thought it was barrel proof. OWA was supposedly barrel proof at 107 many years ago, but we all know that's not true today.

I need to add some of my BP 4R to this thread. I love my barrel proofers!

This bottle's fill level is much lower now. This is when I first cracked it a few weeks ago.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16549[/ATTACH]

Just picked up a bottle of FRSB, private barrel for Cork & Keg in Georgia. The label says OBSQ, warehouse RN, #5-2A @ 110.8 proof, aged 8 years, 6 months. Should be good neat.

Do they add water to WTRB? I always thought it was barrel proof. OWA was supposedly barrel proof at 107 many years ago, but we all know that's not true today.

I need to add some of my BP 4R to this thread. I love my barrel proofers!

This bottle's fill level is much lower now. This is when I first cracked it a few weeks ago.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16549[/ATTACH]

They definitely add water to Rare Breed - otherwise the proof wouldn't have remained constant over the last ten years.

I figured they just stopped updating the labels and assumed the actual proof was "close enough." I have different batches from different years that have different proofs, but some of those batches/proofs stayed the same for 2+ years between changes in batch/proof. So, I guess it's never been a real barrel proofer. False advertising at it finest. I still like the older batches quite a bit though.

I like the current RB just fine too. But unless they made a GIANT batch in 2003, it's cut to proof. I don't know about the older batches, I lean a little more toward thinking those might be actual barrel proofers.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.