What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Spring 2013

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

picked up from UPS--had shipped overnight, but wasn't home to sign, so I went to the UPS hub that's in my suburb. Should be available after 7pm. Got there 7:20. At 7:50 they tell me "it's back on the belt for Monday delivery". I can't even describe my reaction. Get me a supervisor. FInd the *%$*#% package. It's a box. It was on a truck. I NEED IT NOW. 8:10 they finally find it. Unbelievable. Total incompetence.

158de511-c59b-47d9-bf70-b899b587eeee_zps355318c1.jpg

10f39e97-f6a2-48f0-8ba4-0c8cef34de03_zpsccc6852a.jpg

Nice. Only 50 minutes, not bad and you got the package.

If it was a major hub the line could be a mile long so trying to pull a package off the line isn't that easy. Here it's a little different.

I know the feeling and had done the same myself at USPS and actually went to the back with them to find the truck.

The need for the instant gratification is so powerful but in hindsight for me it wasn't really that important, relatively speaking and not their fault I wasn't home to sign it. Now I just request no signature please.

Now tell us how you enjoy it!

Cheers,

Hugh

picked up from UPS--had shipped overnight, but wasn't home to sign, so I went to the UPS hub that's in my suburb. Should be available after 7pm. Got there 7:20. At 7:50 they tell me "it's back on the belt for Monday delivery". I can't even describe my reaction. Get me a supervisor. FInd the *%$*#% package. It's a box. It was on a truck. I NEED IT NOW. 8:10 they finally find it. Unbelievable. Total incompetence.

158de511-c59b-47d9-bf70-b899b587eeee_zps355318c1.jpg

10f39e97-f6a2-48f0-8ba4-0c8cef34de03_zpsccc6852a.jpg

BT, your Whiskirexia Nervosa is in an extremely advanced state. :D

Bourbon-ish, Balcones Texas Single Malt.

Liking it so far, now comes the "sample with a grilled steak" challenge later this weekend.

I don't often get excited in a store.

today, I got very excited!

from the outside, it didn't look like much, and walking in, I didn't have high hopes.

Saw the Woodford four wood at the end of the shelve, had some of the rye two pack. Nice, but not my cup of tea.

JPS 21-overpriced, and 18-ok priced, but have enough. No 17,did look through the pile. Also had a EW23- too much for me.

look down, EC18, good price, getting excited, I really like this bottle.

Look up, FR Small Batch 2011, woohoo!!!! Look, but no 2012 in row.

then I glance my head just slickly to the right, multiple colors of PHC looking at me!!!!!! Blended, cognac, wheat, and my ultimate fave, the golden. Raging, woohoo excited!!!!!!!

After much debate, and hand wringing, the golden, of course, the wheat, duh, and two FR come home with me.

Heart racing excitement. Stunning day.

get back, and tell wife about purchase, she ask's, are you sure that's all, there isn't anything else???

Oh yah, she's a keeper!!!

B

from the outside, it didn't look like much, and walking in, I didn't have high hopes.

Saw the Woodford four wood at the end of the shelve, had some of the rye two pack. Nice, but not my cup of tea.

JPS 21-overpriced, and 18-ok priced, but have enough. No 17,did look through the pile. Also had a EW23- too much for me.

Look up, FR Small Batch 2011, woohoo!!!! Look, but no 2012 in row.

then I glance my head just slickly to the right, multiple colors of PHC looking at me!!!!!! Blended, cognac, wheat, and my ultimate fave, the golden. Raging, woohoo excited!!!!!!!

After much debate, and hand wringing, the golden, of course, the wheat, duh, and two FR come home with me.

get back, and tell wife about purchase, she ask's, are you sure that's all, there isn't anything else???

B

Wow. Might be one of the finer rare/one off collections at a retail store right now. Especially if prices were not outrageous.

savagehenry wrote: "Saw JPS21 for first time, but passed on it at $140. Grabbed 6 bottles of Weller 12 instead for about the same price ($144 total)"

Six good ones for a single maybe maybe not is always the right choice.

savagehenry wrote: "Saw JPS21 for first time, but passed on it at $140. Grabbed 6 bottles of Weller 12 instead for about the same price ($144 total)"

After visiting the BT distillery and hearing that Weller 12 is in short supply, my wife was more than happy to let me bunker several today, even after a nice shopping trip to KY. She even carried them into the house for me while I cut grass :grin:

I ended up paying $26.99 a bottle which is about $3 more than I remember paying the last time at the same store. I will be curious as to whether they will be able to restock once they sell the remaining bottles. I left two.

I already have an open bottle so I opted for VOB BIB tonight.

Edited by mbroo5880i

How much OGD have you had tonight?;)

Picked up an ODG 114 today, was on sale for $17.99! I will probably go back for more this week.

The HH Bonds are not redundant. I love them both, but the Gold is obviously younger.

You found Larceny in IN? That's interesting. Just to warn you - the rebates are no good here. You'll have to have them sent to someone out of state. :rolleyes:

Mea culpa. I went back to my local store and they didn't have it. I think sometimes I see pictures of bottles in my head. I thought I had seen it but I must not have. However, I can safely say that I have seen it and own it now! :grin:

Howdy, Jim Beam black label. It's $20/750 ml bottle here in Shreveport/Bossier City (La.). I slightly prefer Old Forester Signature, but for $25..Hmm..not worth the extra 5 smackers.

B

Great finds indeed and kudos to the wife,my wife is the same way it's amazing how they put up with the obsession sometimes,but I guess by now they have gotten used to it.

OGD 114 (uh oh, different bottle code than the most recently bunkered, hope it's a good batch), benchmark no. 8 (never tried before), and woodford (never tried before, either, and have avoided too long). also picked up some 5 and 12yr el dorado rum and am considering going back for a 15yr.

Would like your thoughts on the Benchmark Bully, the recent bottlings in our area show more depth and complexity than the previous entry level stuff it was.

Would like your thoughts on the Benchmark Bully, the recent bottlings in our area show more depth and complexity than the previous entry level stuff it was.

Squire, I just bought a Benchmark "old #8" in Kentucky after a store owner was sampling it. At $8.99 for a 750 I was curious and after tasting was sold. Not rough at all, and at 80 proof an easy sipper/mixer. One of my favorite bottom shelfers currently and it is of course "The bourbon by which all others are measured" !

I was pleasantly surprised with the recent stuff as well, seems like they upgraded everything but the price which around here is $16.39 for the adult size bottle.

BMH 16,W12x2,Hirsch 20yr.American Whiskey,OF BIB and a few selections of beer that I haven't been able to get locally.

PM sent, check other.

For a split second i was like "wait, this software does that too?"

Back on topic, Bowman Single Barrel TPS #51

FedEx showed up at 7:30pm last night with my TPS load, so here are the weekends spoils:

post-8447-14489819134359_thumb.jpg

VOB BIB x 10

Weller 12 x 6

OWA

EW 1783

4R TPS OBSQ

post-8447-14489819134359_thumb.jpg

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!