What Did You Pass Up Today? Spring '13

MyOldKyDram
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It was batch #19. OK. I'll have to think about it then. They had 6 bottles.

The best thing to do is get one to try. This will only get more expensive and harder to find which is in general for any good aged wheater bourbon.

For one and at this price IMO, it's worth it to try.

If I happen onto these, I will definitely pick up more than one to continue to bunker up.

Cheers

Hugh

No Jack, I can't recommend Jefferson's as a substitute for the products of DSP 16. We drank a lot of Old Fitzgerald back when the whisky was made by the Van Winkle family (which would include the brands on the shelves up until at least 1978) and the current Jefferson stuff (a blend actually that's not 100% SW) is not a part of the good era.

Production ceased at DSP 16 by 1992 and the product made toward the end was Stitzel-Weller in name only as it was produced with modified (cheapened) techniques under different people than the previous long time employees.

If you want to try the real thing there are still some genuine Old Forester BIB dustys around that show off the house character nicely.

I should have added the 1970s - 80s bottles of Rebel Yell (90 proof), Cabin Still and Old Fitz Prime (both 86 proof), also show the SW house character to advantage.

We think of the SW whisky as being highly desirable but it wasn't that popular in it's day and actually sold better when bottled under the Kentucky Tavern label.

the current Jefferson stuff (a blend actually that's not 100% SW)

This was mentioned before in the JPS18 thread but could not be verified. I emailed Castle Brands (or whatever it is called) and asked them about it, but never got a response. I have, however, received replies to other questions regarding their standard offerings. Did you get this info from a reliable source (I have to ask) or has this already been addressed in a thread?

It's come up in several threads Joe and if incorrect Castle has had ample opportunity to set the record straight.

My point though is someone who wants to sample a genuine Stitzel-Weller product may be well advised to look to another brand.

My point though is someone who wants to sample a genuine Stitzel-Weller product may be well advised to look to another brand.

I certainly won't question that reasoning at all.

I saw BT at 711 today. Passed, knew it would be double the price of a liquor store. But there's your shortage for ya... 711 is carrying BT! Has anyone seen this nationally?

It was batch #19. OK. I'll have to think about it then. They had 6 bottles.

I'd pass, batch 16 was too woody for that price point and tasted like licking a wooden yard stick.

Edited by brettckeen

I had #17, and while I wouldn't call it awful I wouldn't buy it again.

- FRSB LE 13 at a good price as well. 63.99, just not catching my attention this year.

- 6-8 WTR 101, in stores I have not been in a while but wasn't there the last time. Must have been some stuck in the supply chain somewhere.

- WT tradition @ $99

Mike

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!