What Did You Pass Up Today? Spring '13

MyOldKyDram
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

That's actually not a bad price on the Rare Breed, might wanna rethink that.

Joe, WT Rye 101 has much more rye flavor, like liquid rye bread without the dill pickle you get in LDI/MGPI ryes, compared to RittBIB which is more bourbon-like.

I found some 375s of WTRB from 99 but passed at $19 each.

If you like WT I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I recently purchased 2 of the 97 and a couple of the 99's and cracked open the 99 that was a little low. Excellent whiskey. They are between $16.99 and $18.99 around here. Doesn't hurt to try to get the price down. Especially, if you are buying multiples.

Edited by smknjoe

I suggest buying one of the Rare Breed 375s to see if you like it well enough to buy the others. It is different (lower barrel entry proof) from the newer stuff and the price isn't too bad.

There are msrp's for drinks at a bar? News to me.

I meant that the bottle originally retailed for $45, or so I've been told.

I meant that the bottle originally retailed for $45, or so I've been told.

I believe it is north of $150 at retail (if you can find it).

I believe it is north of $150 at retail (if you can find it).

Once upon a time (in the early to mid 2000s) AH Hirsch 16 GF was around $45. I cheapest I've seen it at retail in the past year is $200.

I didn't purchase any but I did run across a store in Indy with EC18 (69.99), ECBP (99.99), WT Rye 101 (23.99) and Handy (99.99)

While I would love to try the EC18 and/or ECBP, but I don't know if I can justify paying that mark up. I can get a bottle of WTR101, EC12 and VOB BIB for the price of the EC18 and toss in a bottle of four roses single barrel for the cost of the ECBP.

FR LE SmB 2011.

Thought about it, but just picked up two last week. I'm sure it will be there by week end if I want it.

B

FR LE SmB 2011.

Thought about it, but just picked up two last week. I'm sure it will be there by week end if I want it.

B

I'd buy another one of these at $80 or less. It may not have gotten the acclaim of the 2012, but I really liked it. Finished off my bottle quickly.

I would've jumped on the EC18 - i've been looking for a bottle here in Ky too long.

I would've jumped on the EC18 - i've been looking for a bottle here in Ky too long.

I still find them somewhat frequently around here, not always at prices worth paying, though.

I still find them somewhat frequently around here, not always at prices worth paying, though.

I passed because I can buy three solid bottles (e.g., EC12, ETL and OGD) for that price! I might have gone $50 or maybe $55 just to try it but $70 is just too much, especially knowing that it retailed for less than $50 just a few months ago.

4 bottles of Vintage 17 for $67 each. Stupid?

No.

But please forward location of store ASAP. ;-)

passed up meeting Lincoln Henderson at a local liquor store and trying Angel's Envy

Breckinridge for 'about $40'. My whisky monger wanted me to order a bottle, though he couldn't give an exact price. His sales pitch was something to the effect that it was; "the real deal". After a bit of research (on these forums, mostly) I found out that at least according to more than one source the juice is probably 3-years old (although another source said it may also contain some spirits as old as six years). Anyway, at 'about $40"... No Thanx!

Just out of curiosity Rich, what other whiskys has this merchant recommend?

Just out of curiosity Rich, what other whiskys has this merchant recommend?

He actually rarely recommends any to me. Normally, he asks me what is good, better, best to stock (not that I consider myself a bourbon expert). The only others I remember him pumping are Big House (which isn't bad for $20, 6-years, 90-proof... reminds me a little of Knob) and Breaking & Entering. The B&E and the Breckenridge were offered at the same time a few days ago, although he had no Breckenridge to sell at the time. I think he wished to order a few, and wanted to be sure at least one sold to someone who'd give him a report. I get the feeling he's pushing ones that his distributor wants pushed; or pushes at him. He's not uninitiated as far as Bourbon, but not a connoisseur either. I often offer him tastes in small flasks of some that he expresses interest in. Maybe he just wanted to taste it? He really appreciated the taste I gave him last fall of WLW. Probably a mistake... :rolleyes: Now he'll be drinking my bottle this year.;-)

Passed up a Pendleton 1910 12 yo rye for $33.95. The price was OK, but the 80 pf put me off.

Another store locally has Jefferson's 10 yo rye for $29.95-- I'm going that route instead.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!