Jefferson's Presidential Reserve 21 yr Bourbon

brettckeen
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A bourbon, old enough to drink itself. Our allocation arrived today at the bar, does anyone have any info? A bit too spendy to taste just yet. It does does not say Stizel Weller. Batch #3 and bottle numbers are all the info provided. I am curious though.

Wow. $120 smackers. That's like a top tier single-malt scotch. Must be some good stuff.

that's a steep price. any idea what juice is in this? maybe i'll stop by and visit D's tomorrow afternoon and check it out.

that's a steep price. any idea what juice is in this? maybe i'll stop by and visit D's tomorrow afternoon and check it out.
Ill make sure to have it down stairs then. I don't know whose juice, sorta why I started the thread i have speculations though.

Not of SW stock not a wheated formula and a blend of 21-24 yr. bourbons I'm not too stoked about this one,especially at $120 though cheaper than EC20 and the upcoming EC21 hmmm....Coincidental?Not too many out there holding stocks of this age in volume.

I asked this question on their Facebook page. Their response:

Jefferson's Bourbon From select barrels using a No. 3 Char, no wheat in the mash this time, aged 21-24 yrs. For $120, you're getting quite a whiskey!

March 7 at 1:58pm

Not of SW stock not a wheated formula and a blend of 21-24 yr. bourbons I'm not too stoked about this one,especially at $120 though cheaper than EC20 and the upcoming EC21 hmmm....Coincidental?Not too many out there holding stocks of this age in volume.

Which makes narrowing this down easier...

Have not seen this here in Kentucky. Been ordering it weekly for quite some time. It is in distributors system and priced with sku but not in stock yet.

Only 2000 cases??? That's quite a bit even at 6 bottle cases. I'm thinking it will be sitting around a while. I would like to taste it though.

Only 2000 cases??? That's quite a bit even at 6 bottle cases. I'm thinking it will be sitting around a while. I would like to taste it though.

I've been able to talk myself out of the 18 year a few times, this certainly isn't any more difficult than that.

This has to be from Heaven Hill, right?

Tired, old, woody and grossly overpriced, it's not very high on my list . . . Hell, it's not even on my list.

Tired, old, woody and grossly overpriced, it's not very high on my list . . . Hell, it's not even on my list.

This pretty much speaks for me on this but there seems to be enough people who want a fancy bottle with a big number on it that Jefferson's 21 will probably be a success.

I'm with squire-- I even thought the JPS18 tasted "tired" compared to the 17yr version.

You guys sure seem like your trying hard to talk yourselves out of getting a bottle. The heck with it. I'm getting 1 first chance I get, I'm gunna crack it open in the parking lot and make sure I shouldn't go back inside and empty the self.

Never want to say "I wish I had....." again.

Forgiveness is easier to get than permission, but a missed opportunity has to be posted on "What did you pass on today" and that would be embarrassing.

Forgiveness is easier to get than permission, but a missed opportunity has to be posted on "What did you pass on today" and that would be embarrassing.

Will they "forgive" me by taking the opened bottle back if I don't like it? A better platitude in this case would be "Fool me once..."

Heck, I've passed on lots of cheap Hirsch 16, PVW, 2007 Lagavulin 21, and even the prized ORVW decanter over the years and I'm not embarrassed for having done so. I know even if I had bought all those bottles and more, there would be some other whiskey that would be my "I wish I had" bottle.

It's easy to obsess over this hobby, especially if you've bought into the "rare and collectible" side of the marketing. The producers have caught on to the consumer's desire to chase bottles (see: Pappy craze) and feel like they have bought "the best", so they are going to follow suit by putting out something that looks like it.

If you enjoy it, by all means, spend your money where you like. For me, if I have a chance to taste it I won't turn it down. However, I've had enough 18+ year bourbons to know that 1 out of 10 suits my tastes (a specific Willett single barrel selection, sometimes PVW20), and I'm not going to drop $100+ to find out if this no-name over-the-hill juice fits the bill. So if this release looks like a money grab and feels like a money grab, I'd feel extra dumb if I threw caution to the wind and let them grab my money.

Will they "forgive" me by taking the opened bottle back if I don't like it? .

That would fall under the "permission" side of the statement, and No! I understand what your saying, some of the best are the younger ones or even more recently, the ones that wont tell you their age. I get it that many feel these older releases are old tired, worn out and not worth the effort, and maybe they are not. (we are still talking about bourbon, aren't we?) After JP's recent success with the JPS 17 and 18, hell yes they are looking for another home run. Why wouldn't they, its the hearts and mind and money thing again, mostly the money thing. Time will tell, its already out there, its just not out here yet. and yeah, "fool me once". All I'm saying is I am going to try it as I see it as another experience and to me its worth it just for that. Even if I don't like it and set it next to my OGD dusties the bottle of H&H and all the others to which I feel one pour was too many its OK. Many people make the statement "Life's too short............" the hell its, its way too long not to go to new places, try new things and drink good whiskey. Life's and adventure, drink it up, even at $100+ a bottle.

I've not dropped a C note or more on any single bottle in my bunker and I don't plan on breaking that threshold with an NDP expression.

More power to those who are more experimental with their money, tho. Trey and his ilk are counting on you.

There's a 17 year bottle available for around $108 all in (tax etc.) and that appeals to me more than this at $120.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.