Jefferson's Presidential Reserve 21 yr Bourbon

brettckeen
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It's square high corn on the pallet. Nothing about it is wheated on the pallet. I believe it's the lost barrels of LDI discovered when MGPI bought it ... in the same grouping as the harrisons presidential.

Respectfully disagree sir. Cocoa caramel is above the spice notes. Tells me wheater not rye recipie. However the rye stuff Is there too. So...

It seems like some people have the impression that Jefferson's either started their brand around 2007-2009 when JPS17 came out, or that the brand was built using SW (wheated) juice. Neither is true. The brand was started in the mid 90's and was known primarily for their flagship bourbon Jefferson's Reserve 15yr. which is no longer made and was a rye recipe bourbon, not wheated.

Do you mean me? Or "some people"

Not you. I was really referring to brett's lumping S-W in there with his previous comment (number 48)(no offense brett.) Many other people have made the same association too.

Edited by smknjoe

Not you. I was really referring to brett's lumping S-W in there with his previous comment (number 48)(no offense brett.) Many other people have made the same association too.

Ohh ok. Cause when trey first presented Jefferson's to me it was like 2008/2009 and they had presidential in the lineup. These guys been around since the nineties? Damn. Never heard of em before that meeting.

I have a friend who owned a liquor store in the late 90's and that was where I first bought it ($50.) It was probably around Thanksgiving of 99. And I was hooked after that first bottle. The only version at that time (I'm pretty sure) was Jefferson's Reserve 15yr. with a hang tag that said "NO Mixers!" and the top was rounded wood that was later changed to glass.

Jefferson's doesn't get a whole lot of respect around here (understandably), but I have a soft spot for it since it was my "first love." :grin:

I found out I was drinking JPS 21 last night after the blinds were removed. I enjoyed the pour and have a little left for a revisit. I must say I did like it but don't know if it's worth $120. IMHO around $70 would be a more appropriate price. It was very good, just not mind blowing.

• 3 weeks later...
Respectfully disagree sir. Cocoa caramel is above the spice notes. Tells me wheater not rye recipie. However the rye stuff Is there too. So...

Well Jefferson's is admitting it's not wheated....

You probably have a different batch than what I tried. Mine was tired and high corn a signature of LDI.

The only wheaters that have been released under the Jefferson's brand are the JPS17/18. Everything else they do is ryed bourbon and more recently straight rye as well.

Well Jefferson's is admitting it's not wheated....

You probably have a different batch than what I tried. Mine was tired and high corn a signature of LDI.

During the blind tasting with the JPS 21 we had difference of opinions about whether rye or wheater. I tweeted Jefferson's about it and asked for the source. Absolutely refused to reveal the source but said it wasn't a wheater. Since they advertised the 17/18 as wheaters on the bottle I don't doubt the JPS 21 is a wheater. Anyway that's all I know.

A local shop that got some in says in their newsletter it is a vatting of 21-24 yo Buffalo Trace.

A local shop that got some in says in their newsletter it is a vatting of 21-24 yo Buffalo Trace.

Would that local shop be Julio's? I need to sign up for that newsletter.

With these old Bourbons it can be hard to tell because the barrel influence can so alter the character of the whisky after so long a time.

I like it and it's some of the lowest price at this age.

When I saw some at $110, I took two home.

Definitely, I'm not stockpiling this but if it is priced right I pick up a bottle when I happen to see it.

Not a great pour but is a good pour.

Many people passed on Jeff 17 at the time me included. But I would snag one now if I saw it at 79.99

Many people passed on Jeff 17 at the time me included. But I would snag one now if I saw it at 79.99

Not me!!!

I'd get 3 or 4...

:grin:

• 2 weeks later...

Here is some new Material we received from Jefferson's. appears a 21 year rye is coming along with a rye/bourbon blend and more ocean voyage!!ga8uvu5u.jpg

Could be Stitzel-Weller rye recipe Bourbon for that matter.

S-W certainly could have made a rye bourbon. After all they made a straight rye.

Eric, any clue as to the price point of the 21yr rye??

I'm guessing at least in the same park, if not more, than the 21yr bourbon.

B

No idea. Not in system yet. In guessing similar price. Can't see it being much more.

I will repeat my assertion that the Ocean bourbon is the stupidest gimmick bourbon ever.

I will repeat my assertion that the Ocean bourbon is the stupidest gimmick bourbon ever.

At the least, you have to wonder how much they had to drink the night they came up with the idea.

At the least, you have to wonder how much they had to drink the night they came up with the idea.

Very little I would guess. The impact of the ocean on barrel aging of spirits has been going on and recognized to have an effect for decades if not centuries. Linie aquavit has been aged that way since the 1800's.

And having tasted the Ocean against what is likely a similar recipe and age (maybe even an older bourbon) in the regular Jefferson line I am confident it made a better bourbon in roughly the same amount of time.

The price was far too much but the experiment itself was hardly a failure in my opinion. To think otherwise, especially if you haven't tried it, seems a bit narrow minded.

Edited by tanstaafl2

I'm guessing a whole barrel's worth of over-aged, ashy S-W.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.