AH Hirsch 16 Humidor Set

Rockefeller
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Does anyone know when were these originally released? I've begun seeing a few pop up and was wondering why some stores are only getting these now. Seems like an odd time.

Originally released in 2009, plenty of these are still sitting in distributors' warehouses. The original suggested MSRP on the set as listed on the Preiss Imports webpage was $1,499, but mention of that price is now conspicuously absent. I know for a fact that there are 8 of these humidor sets still available from the distributor in Massachusetts, at a cost of $900 for any premises or retail location that wishes to order the product. Which is why the bar up the street charges $125 for a 1.5 ounce pour from this bottle. These humidor sets will be around for a good while longer, cause it's just not worth that kind of money to most discerning whiskey drinkers.

Originally released in 2009, plenty of these are still sitting in distributors' warehouses. The original suggested MSRP on the set as listed on the Preiss Imports webpage was $1,499, but mention of that price is now conspicuously absent. I know for a fact that there are 8 of these humidor sets still available from the distributor in Massachusetts, at a cost of $900 for any premises or retail location that wishes to order the product. Which is why the bar up the street charges $125 for a 1.5 ounce pour from this bottle. These humidor sets will be around for a good while longer, cause it's just not worth that kind of money to most discerning whiskey drinkers.

Preiss Imports no longer exists and while their old website might still be up, I doubt anyone is updating it, especially WRT a product they no longer have to sell.

I don't believe there are that many of those sets left at retail, let alone at distributors. That's an expensive piece of inventory. Interest in A. H. Hirsch Reserve has never been higher, yet I don't see anyone advertising them. If a lot of people had them, I would think they'd be making an effort to sell them, and if anyone would hear about it, it would be me because of my Hirsch book.

If you have some actual, factual information about distributors who have these, please share it.

Edited by cowdery

Well, as one example The Wine and Cheese Place received four units just last month. I also talked to a store in California that sold out their three sets last week (they received it in February).

Seems very curious.

So at MSRP $1499, that's about $1000-$1200 worth of humidor. That's one serious piece of climate control equipment.

Preiss Imports no longer exists and while their old website might still be up, I doubt anyone is updating it, especially WRT a product they no longer have to sell.

I don't believe there are that many of those sets left at retail, let alone at distributors. That's an expensive piece of inventory. Interest in A. H. Hirsch Reserve has never been higher, yet I don't see anyone advertising them. If a lot of people had them, I would think they'd be making an effort to sell them, and if anyone would hear about it, it would be me because of my Hirsch book.

If you have some actual, factual information about distributors who have these, please share it.

Actual, factual information: Atlantic Importing Company INC in MA still has AH Hirsch humidors in stock, as of last week. I manage a bar, hence I order booze from distributors, and have relationships with reps, who assure me we can have one at our bar next week if we want it. Kinda hard for us to stomach, seeing as we bought our last two cases of AH Hirsch years ago at a bottle cost of $50, and we poured through every last drop at $15 for a 2 oz. pour, even after flippers started selling them for hundreds of dollars on eBay. Not to be snarky, but at such a high price, I feel like that bottle can sit at the distributor forever for all I care, because that's just silly. If you need further proof, feel free to contact Atlantic. Chances are some lurker is doing the same right now with dreams of flipping the humidor for a profit. Somebody will pay it. Someone always...

Well, as one example The Wine and Cheese Place received four units just last month. I also talked to a store in California that sold out their three sets last week (they received it in February).

Seems very curious.

I can also corroborate a CA retailer with stock right now (according to their website which i believe is generally accurate). May or may not be the same one Rockerfeller is alluding to, but the Hirsch seems to have made a comeback. $1200 though, ouch.

Update: there are now no humidors left in Mass. Amazing how quickly they disappeared. Is if possible for one distributor to sell to another in a different state? Because they were there as of a couple of weeks ago, and had been there forever, now there are none and humidors are popping up in NYC and CA. Curiouser and curiouser...

I was Googling this myself a couple weeks ago and came across a store in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, that had some listed on their website. $1375 I think was the price. The Liquor Store is their name. I don't know how many they have or how long they've had them, but I spoke to someone on the phone and they did confirm they had at least one in stock. (I have no affiliation with them whatsoever, I'm merely stating fact, fwiw.)

I never meant to suggest there are none out there, but not in large numbers.

Preiss was acquired by Anchor, i.e., by the guys who previously acquired Anchor from Fritz Maytag. Henry Preiss was with them for a time but has since departed and is trying to get his own thing going again.

So what do you guys think, worth the $1400? Seems a little excessive.

I never meant to suggest there are none out there, but not in large numbers.

Preiss was acquired by Anchor, i.e., by the guys who previously acquired Anchor from Fritz Maytag. Henry Preiss was with them for a time but has since departed and is trying to get his own thing going again.

If I came across one, even at $1400, it would probably follow me home. I have never laid eyes on a bottle of AHH16 except on the web and I doubt if I would be able to resist the temptation. I have very little will power to say no to any whiskey that I haven't tried.

I just heard from a very good source that Anchor still has about 200 of them.

If I came across one, even at $1400, it would probably follow me home. I have never laid eyes on a bottle of AHH16 except on the web and I doubt if I would be able to resist the temptation. I have very little will power to say no to any whiskey that I haven't tried.

How many times has this stuff been bottled? Is the humidor bottling the 3rd, and most recent one? Are the "normal" gold foil bottles from the same bottling run as the humidor set bottles? Sorry for all the noob questions.

I saw 8 bottles of the AHH 16 over the weekend priced at $500 each. I somehow resisted.

How many times has this stuff been bottled? Is the humidor bottling the 3rd, and most recent one? Are the "normal" gold foil bottles from the same bottling run as the humidor set bottles? Sorry for all the noob questions.

I believe there are four bottlings--blue wax, gold wax, gold foil, and then humidor bottling, which is the most recent and last bottling. I do think the gold foil and humidor bottle are different runs-- the humidor bottle is a slightly different shape and is also hand blown. But anyone can confirm or deny.

The humidor bottle definitely has a different curve to it. Also appears to have a different cork.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.