AH Hirsch 16 Humidor Set

Rockefeller
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This is another example of the cognitive dissonance we have going over in the flavored whiskey discussion. People hate these things (over-priced whiskeys, flavored whiskeys) so much that they can't (literally) believe anyone really buys them, so they twist themselves in knots with implausible theories to explain away ample and obvious evidence to the contrary. It would be funny except...oh, what the hell, it's funny.

At least with cognitive dissonance in political discussions, the stakes are relatively high and that partially explains the phenomenon. In these cases the stakes are zero, so it's kind of a pure example.

This is a forum of fanatics. The buying patterns of this forum are not an accurate representation of the buying patterns of the general public. When comparing to beam white or jd black sales to flavored whiskey, the flavors are not in the same ballpark. But compare them to flavored vodkas or rums and they are decent sellers.

Flavored everything is here to stay. We will see much more before we see much less.

I would admit that I do fall into this type of conflicts quite often and I would think this cognitive dissonance is quite common for value judgement especially on this rare and expensive items.

Just as I think the taste of bourbon are very subjective, the purchase of any specific item and the value/cost association to it is also very subjective. I do see that there is a market for this as well.

Cheers

Hugh

My original math was wrong. Anchor actually has close to 800 bottles. They released an inventory to distributors stating they had 200 4pk cases of the A.H. Hirsch 16yr humidor sets. This was sent out to their wholesalers in march, so i'm not sure what they have now, but i'm sure they haven't sold many. Cowdery won't believe this, but this was e-mailed out to their distributors. I've seen the actual e-mail.

Again, their wholesalers won't be buying, as there are no retailers or restaurants willing to pay that price, so they'll remain in Anchor's warehouse.

Sounds like it's time for Anchor to bite the bullet and ditch the humidor. I'm sure they'll still make a profit.

I wrote to your guy at Anchor and he hasn't replied. I don't know what they have or don't have. My only observation at this point is that they don't seem to be trying very hard to sell them. What's the date on the email? What could their reasoning possibly be for sitting on them if nobody is buying? There's a price -- I don't know what it is -- at which they will fly out the door.

Date of the e-mail was March 7, 2013. As for their motives, beats me. The new suits that own Anchor keep things close to the vest. They're more interested in volume brands, so unlike the old days of Preiss, I would guess that they just don't care too much about it.

I agree that the current price will not move any product, and maybe they're just stubborn? The current humidor price was set by Henry Priess, but who knows what the new owners actually paid for it when they bought the company.

• 2 weeks later...

I sort of hope they don't drop it to 350. I would sort of have to drop the money then...

• 3 weeks later...
Anybody who is here in this forum has already been carried much further away than is necessary or prudent.
You sir are speaking the truth, but like all addictions we choose to ignore prudence and wisdom.

If I'm dropping $350 it will be for a case of Evan Williams Single Barrel.

I sort of hope they don't drop it to 350. I would sort of have to drop the money then...

About 4 years ago my buddy came across a couple and called me. He said $100 and I thought, thought and said yeah get it. I remember thinking wtf did I just do?

I've drank it thanks to the generosity of others and I can tell you that mine is never going to be opened. It's a curiosity for me not a drinker because I don't care for how it tastes.

And so I just find it odd to read posts like these.......all things considered.

Once, I bought three bottles from Bevmo then flew to Las Vegas that day and tried a big pour at Bellagio $5 video poker bar and just couldn't even finished it.

Then the following day when I flew back home I quickly returned those bottles and was happy to get my money back. For something I didn't like I only kept one in the bunker purely for historical reason and since it was reasonably priced. If I had like it I would have keep these three.

Oddly, thinking back I am surprised they had let me returned and if not, my bunker would have three more bottles of these but I made a point not to bunker anything I don't plan to drink or love to drink. The one bottle was my exception which I plan to drink anyway though.

And so it is odd now that I said I may buy it if it is $350. That is probably the maximum which I would even consider at today's market but that is just me and surely others would be willing to pay even more.

I bought my last bottle of the 16-year-old gold foil in 2007 for $80. I hated to do it, spend that much that is, but I figured if I bought one I could drink one, which I did with gusto. I opened another one last year when I was working on my Hirsch book. Not really sure how many I have left. At least one.

Ohh thanks for the reminder, I'm a little rusty.

Uhh NO PM's guys, I'm keeping this one for sentimental reasons.

Its a sentimental bottle that you'll never open because your friend came across it in a liquor store a couple years ago and you didn't know what it was?

It's sentimental because he didn't like the taste and he wants a reminder of that so he doesn't forget and buy another bottle.

Its a sentimental bottle that you'll never open because your friend came across it in a liquor store a couple years ago and you didn't know what it was?

A combative newb. Huh.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Hidden

oh boy, that looks like dorignacs to me. i remember once i found a bottle of 2007 lagavulin 21 there in late 2010 for like $300. craziest find i ever came on. what were they selling the pappy products for this year? about a year or two ago they started going bananas with prices and im just curious to see if its gotten worse.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15131[/ATTACH]

Sorry for the repetition. This is really just a test photo upload. I couldn't seem to upload a photo in a private message.

oh boy, that looks like dorignacs to me. i remember once i found a bottle of 2007 lagavulin 21 there in late 2010 for like $300. craziest find i ever came on. what were they selling the pappy products for this year? about a year or two ago they started going bananas with prices and im just curious to see if its gotten worse.

Welcome to SB NoSoup4U! Introduce yourself sometime in the new members section when you get a chance :)

That is a Lagavulin 21 2007 is killer find!!!

That's the place. I didn't go in there this year, but last year, the various PVW that I saw was roughly twice the suggested retail. Their prices on the run of the mill stuff are not too bad, but they have a well-earned reputation for jacking up the price of ANY limited release whiskey.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.