AH Hirsch 16 Humidor Set

Rockefeller
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

post-9015-14489818861849_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the repetition. This is really just a test photo upload. I couldn't seem to upload a photo in a private message.

If you want the bottle for consumption, they seem to sell at auction (at Bonham's) for around $500. For example:

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20459/lot/390/

In fact, pass on the gold foil and go after a three-fer instead:

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20986/lot/102/?search_query=1&division=&passages=True&earliest_first=False&value_data_currency=GBP&value_data_order_spec=%5B%27-value_low%27%5D&back_to_year=2003&date_range=future&main_index=lot&department=&query=hirsch+16&create_facets=False&value_data_range_display=

But then again, you don't get that really sweet humidor....

$500 to $800 is what the gold foil bottles have gotten at recent auctions.

I would think there is a market for the $1,400 sets, but maybe not. My main point is that I don't see anyone trying very hard to sell them, which seems odd if there are so many about. Most businesses would cut the price to blow them out rather than sit on them, which is why I am so skeptical about claims that there are so many still around. What are they waiting for?

The humidor set was a re-bottling of whiskey originally bottled in the gold foil package. I don't know of anything Hirsch that was re-bottled a second time.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15131[/ATTACH]

Hey, I recognize that case! My favorite PVW gougers...

Any legal sellers who have the humidor sets to sell can contact me for some free publicity.

$500 to $800 is what the gold foil bottles have gotten at recent auctions.

I would think there is a market for the $1,400 sets, but maybe not. My main point is that I don't see anyone trying very hard to sell them, which seems odd if there are so many about. Most businesses would cut the price to blow them out rather than sit on them, which is why I am so skeptical about claims that there are so many still around. What are they waiting for?

The humidor set was a re-bottling of whiskey originally bottled in the gold foil package. I don't know of anything Hirsch that was re-bottled a second time.

If you don't believe they have 200 humidors left, call Anchor and ask for Ken Young. 415-863-8350.

There were more than four bottlings of the 16s if you include the export-only early ones. On the far left is an example. The other three are the domestics you describe (matthewdc), minus the humidor version. The basic label design of the one on the left is similar to some of the earlier 15 year olds, of which there appears to have been at least four different bottlings as well, as shown by the four different 15-year labels.

No idea how many humidor sets are still out there. One day I may try to get my hands on one-- but I'll never admit it here!

post-3179-14489818864263_thumb.jpg

post-3179-14489818863695_thumb.jpg

Edited by B1bomber

There were more than four bottlings of the 16s if you include the export-only early ones.

I think you may have misunderstood. We were talking about re-bottling. For the humidor sets, they dumped gold foil bottles and re-bottled the contents in the crystal. To my knowledge, that's the only time in the history of A. H. Hirsch that whiskey was decanted from bottles and then bottled anew.

I believe there are four bottlings--blue wax, gold wax, gold foil, and then humidor bottling, which is the most recent and last bottling.

Understood. Although I was addressing matthewdc's particular question.

Misunderstanding or not who the hell cares! Those are some of the best Hirsch pics I've ever seen. Thanks for sharing your collection!

Anybody who is here in this forum has already been carried much further away than is necessary or prudent.

So does anyone have a picture of this swanky and seemingly overpriced humidor set? Just curious to see what all the hubbub is about but very little I can find in the way of pictures on the ol' interweb.

Anybody who is here in this forum has already been carried much further away than is necessary or prudent.

My wife would most certainly have to agree with that.

Thanks, Passthebourbon. One of these days I'll take a complete picture for the "show us your stash" thread.

As for the humidor set, I've scoured the highest-end stores in New Jersey and have yet to see one anywhere in this state.

I don't own it to photography, but here are some pictures from the internet.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15139[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]15140[/ATTACH]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/anchor_cms_production/spirit_assets/52/original/Hirsch%2016%20Humidor%20Limited%20Release%20ADC.pdf?1331763283

Yeah, I have seen those but those and a few others but it looks like pretty much the same bottle in a rather hum drum looking humidor. I was under the impression they had been rebottled and if they are going to that much trouble, and charging that much money, you would think the least they could do was put it in a snazzier looking bottle. I seem to recall Chuck mentioned something about a crystal bottle?

Otherwise if that is what it looks like it basically is pretty underwhelming for the ridiculous mark up. Well, more underwhelming than it already is.

That IS the crystal bottle. Not to much different from what they dumped it.

I'm one who would pay for something I like to drink, appreciate, and support. But who would buy this at $1400? I may consider it if it is $400 with $500 max.

Hugh

That IS the crystal bottle. Not to much different from what they dumped it.

Well, I must say that is a bit of a disapointment. Not that I had any plans to buy one!

I might, emphasis on might, consider a regular bottle if I stumbled across one at a few hundred bucks. Not like that is likely either. But this thing seems a bit weird.

Edited by tanstaafl2

I thought I remembered it being more like a decanter, but I may be thinking of the Old Rip 23 (or whatever it was), which was also in a box.

I've inquired of Anchor about their supposed inventory of these and have not heard back. I repeat, for something that so many people are supposedly stuck with, no one seems to be trying to sell them.

Could they be stock somewhere and not at the store to be sold?

I have not seen this at all in any of the stores I visited recently which has most or all the high end stuff.

Maybe it is forgotten on the back shelf of some distributor or warehouse.

Cheers

Hugh

Could they be stock somewhere and not at the store to be sold?

I have not seen this at all in any of the stores I visited recently which has most or all the high end stuff.

Maybe it is forgotten on the back shelf of some distributor or warehouse.

Cheers

Hugh

This is another example of the cognitive dissonance we have going over in the flavored whiskey discussion. People hate these things (over-priced whiskeys, flavored whiskeys) so much that they can't (literally) believe anyone really buys them, so they twist themselves in knots with implausible theories to explain away ample and obvious evidence to the contrary. It would be funny except...oh, what the hell, it's funny.

At least with cognitive dissonance in political discussions, the stakes are relatively high and that partially explains the phenomenon. In these cases the stakes are zero, so it's kind of a pure example.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.