Aberlour A'bundadh?

Alden
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Very nice sherried whisky one of my favorite readily available drams

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

I just opened my bottle a couple of nights ago. My first impression was a good one. If you like Aberlour, Macallan, other sherried whiskies this will probably be up your ally. Even at cask strength, I didn't have to add that much water to it.

I hate it. Like chewing on a rubber tire. If you like sherry, you'll like it. I don't, so I don't.

I hate it. Like chewing on a rubber tire. If you like sherry, you'll like it. I don't, so I don't.

I do like sherry. I have a bottle of the Balvenie Double Wood, which is also sherried (just not so much) and it tastes good to me.

Sherry finishes in some Scotch or Canadian whiskys is so traditional to take it out would change their character entirely.

Any opinions on this one?

For anyone with more than half a dozen different scotch bottles the a'bunadh is a must. Along with Glenlivet Nadurra it is one of the most recommended non-Islay (heavy peat) expressions from the the single malt equivalent to SB.com

Sherry finishes in some Scotch or Canadian whiskys is so traditional to take it out would change their character entirely.
I don't mind sherry in moderation but the A'bundadh bottle I had was like sherry concentrate. Way out of balance to me.

I love it, but then again I know next to dick about Scotch.

A friend just told me he likes it a lot, but he prefers the 18. It's more balanced.

It depends on which batch of A'bundadh..they widely vary. For the most part I prefer the heavily sherried Springbank Cask Strength 12 year and Glenfarclas 105.

Edited by weller_tex

I've enjoyed it. Has some batch variation but won't be buying it anymore at $74.99 here.

I had a 41 that I thought was perfectly good, but many threw it way under the bus for being too sulfurous, like Josh said. I've had batch #32 and #39 and they were both extremely good.

It depends on which batch of A'bundadh..they widely vary.

Your palate must be well tuned!

I've had 4 different batches (30, 35, 37, 42) and, though there are slight differences, I wouldn't say the variation is that wide.

I would agree with slight variations from batch to batch,more sherry influence perhaps and a touch more of the sulfur undertone,but never a deal breaker to me.I would also agree with Thad that the prices of this and the Macallan CS are both getting out of hand,I still enjoy it as a great digestif and one I often have while I am out.Truly a shame that not that long ago it was to be found in the $55-60 range on shelves everywhere.

A'bunadh is one of my go to Scotches. I can't say enough good things about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It's definately not your standard Aberlour 10 year old. The A'bundadh is a bit harsh straight, but a great dram with some water.

To pile on to what many have already said, I think the A'bunadh is one of the best sherried whisky values out there - it really is a go to dram for me when I'm looking for a heavily sherried dram. Given the price increases everywhere in scotch whisky over the last few years - it has become more expensive but it still generally costs less than Springbank Cask Strength 12 year or the Aberlour 18. This is one of those bottles that I always look for when I pop into a random liquor store - you can often find older batches still reasonably priced (I found a batch 29 and a batch 33 for only $54 a few months back). I've run tastings with it for 25-30 people and many have said it is their favorite whisky from the tasting. For some reason this isn't a whisky you often find behind a bar so trying a single dram can be hard unless you live near a good whisky bar. If you do buy a bottle I would be interested in what you think.

Your palate must be well tuned!

I've had 4 different batches (30, 35, 37, 42) and, though there are slight differences, I wouldn't say the variation is that wide.

I think I must be sensitive to the sulfurous stuff..certainly I don't have some sort of great palate..

I used to drink 4-5 bottles of sherry a year, back when I was into wine.

I think I might try this.

I used to drink 4-5 bottles of sherry a year, back when I was into wine.

I think I might try this.

Another sherried single malt I like a lot, although it can't match the proof and "sherri-ness" of A'bundadh, is Tomatin 18.

From a price perspective the Tomatin 18 is a winner - you can find the 18 from the $mid-50s, and the Tomatin 12 in the mid to upper $20s. While the 18 isn't in the same league as the A'Bunadh, it has more going on than one might expect for such an affordable entry into 18 year whiskies. There is also a the Tomatin Decades with Whisky from the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and 00s. I've seen it for around $100 or so and I've tasted it. I was impressed. Again these special whiskies can get very pricey very quickly and this one is sort of reasonably priced.

One of my favorites when i could get it for $60, but at $90 I would rather have two bottles of 4RSB. I would certainly rather get several Aberlours instead of the Garrison $160, even though we share the same last name.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.