Aberlour A'bundadh?

Alden
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The occasional batches of Abunadh gets reported as sulphur infected

So beware if you don't like that. If you don't mind sulphur or can't taste it don't worry

Tomatin 18yo is one of the greatest 18yo OB's out there

Steffen

I really like this one. It does get better with a little water. Aberlour is one of my favorite brands for the money.

I have a couple of bottles of Batch #6 - anyone had some of the early batches like this one? I'm not a fan of sherried scotches, but from time to time they hit the spot. I don't want to open one because I still have 90% of a bottle of an earlier Macallan cask strength, and that's enough sherry for the next year or so, but I'd like to know if the early ones were consistently good.

Recently passed on a couple of batches of the Aberlour A'bunadh (38, 41) at $69 but now thinking maybe I should give this a try. Any thoughts on either of those batches?

Recently passed on a couple of batches of the Aberlour A'bunadh (38, 41) at $69 but now thinking maybe I should give this a try. Any thoughts on either of those batches?

Huh. Just went back to the review of it on my blog and I apparently liked it. Go figure. Batch 29 FWIW.

Stay away from batch 41 - reports say it is very high in sulphur - probably the worst one bottled to date.

Good to know. Although comparing the two batches might be interesting.

• 5 months later...

Looking at batch 39 or 44 any intel on either? Want to avoid the sulphur bombs at that price. Also this or the GL Nadurra for a bourbon guy's first scotch trial.

Looking at batch 39 or 44 any intel on either? Want to avoid the sulphur bombs at that price. Also this or the GL Nadurra for a bourbon guy's first scotch trial.

I have an open bottle of batch 44 that I like pretty well and found to be surprisingly similar to bourbon. I did not detect any sulphur but add the usual disclaimer here about everyone's tastes being different. Sorry can't comment on the Nadurra, its next on my "to try" list, just haven't made it that far yet.

Edited by miller542

I have both 40 and 41 which are the "sulphur bombs" and find them to be delightful. Had a sample from the newest which I think is Batch 46 and thought it was very nice.

Off-topic, but whatever happened to Alden (the OP)? Did he really post over 500 times in 3 months!? I guess he really did start a new thread every few minutes like it seemed a few months ago :lol:

Back on topic, no doubt that Nadurra is a much better first scotch for bourbon lovers. Nadurra is my first recommendation for those who enjoy BP bourbons, Balvenie 15 for those who don't. I've enjoyed some sherry bombs from Macallan, Glenfarclas and Longmorn this fall, but haven't had an A'bunadh since last winter. I'm going to have to change that soon.

A'Bundadh is great, especially as a sherry bomb, but I find a bit of batch variation. Macallan CS is still my favorite sherry bomb out of what I have tried.

I really want to get my hands on Glendronach CS though, or Glenfarclas 20 year old CS. :yum: Definately Glenfarclas.

I really want to get my hands on Glendronach CS though, or Glenfarclas 20 year old CS. :yum: Definately Glenfarclas.

The 20yo 105? This is one I'm saving pennies for if I ever place an over seas order.

I have both 40 and 41 which are the "sulphur bombs" and find them to be delightful. Had a sample from the newest which I think is Batch 46 and thought it was very nice.

The only ones I've seen in my territory are all Batch 45. Anybody heard anything about it or know where to direct me for info?...if there is any available at present. Thanks very much! :bowdown:

The only ones I've seen in my territory are all Batch 45. Anybody heard anything about it or know where to direct me for info?...if there is any available at present. Thanks very much! :bowdown:

Off-topic, but whatever happened to Alden (the OP)? Did he really post over 500 times in 3 months!? I guess he really did start a new thread every few minutes like it seemed a few months ago :lol:

I think "he" was an automated bot that was just creating threads for search engine optimization purposes.

I was thinking I need to get a new bottle of "Aboona"...I recommend it to people all the time, but it's been two years since I had an open bottle. My wife drank most of that one.

The 20yo 105? This is one I'm saving pennies for if I ever place an over seas order.

Yes indeedy. I plan on buying whenever I get the chance.

The 40 year 105 is one of my top 5 dream whiskies. The 20 year is actually relatively affordable, all things considered.

I wonder if Aberlour will do something "special" for the 50th batch of A'bunadh. Not sure what that would be exactly, maybe an age statement?

The 40 year 105 is one of my top 5 dream whiskies. The 20 year is actually relatively affordable, all things considered.

I wonder if Aberlour will do something "special" for the 50th batch of A'bunadh. Not sure what that would be exactly, maybe an age statement?

That would be pretty fun and I would definitely get a bottle. Last week I found my unopened bottle in the closet, batch 33. I'm probably going to open it this holiday season with some friends, can't wait to try it!

Thanks to this thread...this one is rising on my "To Buy" list now...to the point where I'm sure there will be one in the house for the holidays. :thankyousign:

• 2 weeks later...

For those keeping notes, I've got a bottle of batch 38 that I'm killing slowly - minimal sulfur and lots of sherry. I really enjoy it. I've tried batch 41 at a restaurant and it was a sulfur bomb. I didn't enjoy that at all.

For those keeping notes, I've got a bottle of batch 38 that I'm killing slowly - minimal sulfur and lots of sherry. I really enjoy it. I've tried batch 41 at a restaurant and it was a sulfur bomb. I didn't enjoy that at all.

I apparently didn't get the sulfur gene for my palate. Everyone says this but I have the 41 and have compared it to several other batches. In some cases I prefer the 41!

At Whisky Live Boston - they had two different batches of A'bundadh side-by-side I can't remember which ones off the top of my head but the sulfur notes were so obvious in one of them possibly #32 that it should have been used in a class on detecting sulfur. Clearest example of sulfur I've ever tasted. The other one maybe Batch #36 was exactly why I love the A'bundadh with all the rich raising,fruity sherry goodness.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.