The Macallan 12?

Alden
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The quintessential sherried malt. A bit overpriced these days, but it's worth trying in the $40 to $50 range. See also: GlenDronach 12.

If you're going for an entry level MacAllan, I'd say go for the Cask Strength if you can find it.

For sherried malts, I'll second Trey's Glendronach recommendation.

Abelour A'Bunadh is another well-received expression but there could be some batch variation there.

The Mortlach 16 is a highly regarded sherried malt as well but not available stateside.

If you're going for an entry level MacAllan, I'd say go for the Cask Strength if you can find it.

Abelour A'Bunadh is another well-received expression but there could be some batch variation there.

The Mortlach 16 is a highly regarded sherried malt as well but not available stateside.

Everyone should go through one bottle of Macallan 12. Wait until you see one for $50 or less and pick it up. Everyone is correct that the CS is better, but I'd say Macallan 12, even the current product, would be on my "10 officially bottled malts everyone should try"

Glenfarclas ahead of Macallan in the heavy sherry category.

IMO Glenfarclas makes the best sherried whisky in the world.

There is no question! :drinking: :drink:

Everyone should go through one bottle of Macallan 12. Wait until you see one for $50 or less and pick it up. Everyone is correct that the CS is better, but I'd say Macallan 12, even the current product, would be on my "10 officially bottled malts everyone should try"

You're one demanding whisky kung-fu sifu: 8hours horse stance a day for you!

;-)

J/K...

Thanks for bringing attention to the Glenfarclas line y'all - I need to revisit it posthaste!

Edited by ChainWhip

Though I do see where K & L has a new 22 yo in.

http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/

Did Driscoll really throw it out there and say their Mortlach is better than Tun 1401 #3? If this is the case, I think they would have priced it higher. I call shenanigans.

Edited by LostBottle

Did Driscoll really throw it out there and say their Mortlach is better than Tun 1401 #3? If this is the case, I think they would have priced it higher. I call shenanigans.

That caused the hairs above my ocular orbits to elevate as well.

In addition to the best it's also unbelievable and will blow you away.

Meh.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt since he did give the caveat that it was his "personal" preference & that this Mortlach was his "white whale".

I'm ok with that.

I like your taste in sherried scotch. I have all of these on my shelf at home. The 12 yr Macallan is a fantastic scotch. The Glendronach is just as good, but for a better price too.

I totally agree that Mac 12 is overpriced, but so prototypical a sherried scotch that it is worth at least a try. However, I think that as it is discontinued the priority should be to find a bottle of the 10 year CS. Now that Mortlach on K&L... I'll be in SF tomorrow and I'm going to try not to cave as I'm trying to reign in my whisky expenditure, but it looks awesome.

Not only that but the pricing is fantastic - I think pretty much everywhere - especially as you progress up the age scale.

In my market (Glenfarclas price, Macallan price):

12yo ($64, $93)

15yo (89, 135)

18yo (100*, 260)

21yo (122, n/a)

25yo (163, 1000)

40yo (529, n/a**)

*this price is for the 17yo, GF doesn't offer an 18

** If this was a regular in the line-up it would be priced into 5 digit territory!!!

He's prone to hyperbole. Everything is the best.

He's prone to hyperbole. His latest exclusive to K&L bottle is the best he's ever had and will blow you away.

Not only that but the pricing is fantastic - I think pretty much everywhere - especially as you progress up the age scale.

In my market (Glenfarclas price, Macallan price):

12yo ($64, $93)

15yo (89, 135)

18yo (100*, 260)

21yo (122, n/a)

25yo (163, 1000)

40yo (529, n/a**)

*this price is for the 17yo, GF doesn't offer an 18

** If this was a regular in the line-up it would be priced into 5 digit territory!!!

Do you find the Glenfarclas 15 in your area regularly? It is the one I find is the best bang for the buck but have the most difficulty finding. The 17 is more readily available and very nice but just seems to lack a little something compared to its younger sibling.

How about Glenmorangie? All the shops around here have that one too.

The standard expression of Glenmorangie is not sherried. For 30-35 bucks it is not too bad a dram if you are not picky. The Lasanta is sherried (two years in sherry casks), but not very complex. FWIW, I tend to keep a bottle of the Lasanta around the house. Not a bad bottle, it is widely available (I am in So FL, so I suspect we might sometimes shop at the same franchise type stores), and not a bank breaker.

Do you find the Glenfarclas 15 in your area regularly? It is the one I find is the best bang for the buck but have the most difficulty finding. The 17 is more readily available and very nice but just seems to lack a little something compared to its younger sibling.

Yes, the 15 is regularly available in Canada (note that we get 700ml bottles).

Yes, IMO the 15 is the best of the GF range

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.