The Macallan 12?

Alden
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The standard expression of Glenmorangie is not sherried. For 30-35 bucks it is not too bad a dram if you are not picky. The Lasanta is sherried (two years in sherry casks), but not very complex. FWIW, I tend to keep a bottle of the Lasanta around the house. Not a bad bottle, it is widely available (I am in So FL, so I suspect we might sometimes shop at the same franchise type stores), and not a bank breaker.

My favorite standard release from GlenMo is the Nectar D'or, aged an additional 2 years in Sauternes casks.

Glenmorangie is a classic defining it's own style. Light, flowery, complex with no sherry and very little peat. A good breakfast dram.

Yes, the 15 is regularly available in Canada (note that we get 700ml bottles).

Yes, IMO the 15 is the best of the GF range

Ah yes, didn't notice you were in Canada!

Glenmorangie is a classic defining it's own style. Light, flowery, complex with no sherry and very little peat. A good breakfast dram.

Eggs and bacon and scotch? Sounds delicious!

The standard expression of Glenmorangie is not sherried. For 30-35 bucks it is not too bad a dram if you are not picky. The Lasanta is sherried (two years in sherry casks), but not very complex. FWIW, I tend to keep a bottle of the Lasanta around the house. Not a bad bottle, it is widely available (I am in So FL, so I suspect we might sometimes shop at the same franchise type stores), and not a bank breaker.

Sounds like the Balvenie Double Wood.

I don't know the current stats but at one time Glenmorangie was the best selling Single Malt in Scotland.

• 3 weeks later...

Kinda doubt that is likely to be a similar tasting bottle! The K&L Mortlach is a single barrel pick from Chieftains that spent all 22 years in a sherry butt. This is a different bottler and probably a much different history. And a much different price...

The Macallan 12 is easy to find in a mini format... grab a couple, check off that line in your whisky syllabus, and if you like the mini enough, grab a full bottle.

That Costco bottle doesn't appear to be sherry finished? It only states "matured in oak casks" - whatever that means:

Mortlach1989Front.png

• 2 months later...

Definitely pick up at least one bottle, especially if under $50. For scotch this is my "table wine". If I wasn't trying so many other spirits it would be my everyday pour. One ice cube smooths it out and it goes down very easy, especially if I don't want to hit the higher proof stuff.

The Macallan is fine. By all means make sure to taste the Macallan - it is a reference malt and it readily available at most restaurants and bars. But frankly, I think Macallan is coasting on their reputation. Head to head in multiple tastings I've led, people who like Macallan realize there are whiskies they like substantially better in the same price range. I'd check out Edradour 10. Much more interesting whisky, imho. I'll second the suggestion to get a mini. I think Mini's are the unsung way to do affordable side-by-side tastings without spending a ton of money. And as always - make up your own mind.

• 2 months later...

Not sure if this is the right place, but, I'll go ahead anyway as it seems a good place to start on a Macallan question. I'm a lifelong bourbon guy who has been 'crossing over' and sampling a number of single malts in the last year or so. Today, for the first time, I happened across a Macallan CS. I've seen it mentioned here & there but had never seen one in person. A couple of questions: 1) Is it still in production? 2) Is the $130 price tag good, bad or ugly?

In the last 12-15 months, I've not branched out beyond the $60-70 bottle range and no further than the speyside & highland realms...nor have I purchased any Macallan as yet. I'm not into the heavies...the peat & smoke of the Islays. Is the CS one to not pass up?

Not sure if this is the right place, but, I'll go ahead anyway as it seems a good place to start on a Macallan question. I'm a lifelong bourbon guy who has been 'crossing over' and sampling a number of single malts in the last year or so. Today, for the first time, I happened across a Macallan CS. I've seen it mentioned here & there but had never seen one in person. A couple of questions: 1) Is it still in production? 2) Is the $130 price tag good, bad or ugly?

In the last 12-15 months, I've not branched out beyond the $60-70 bottle range and no further than the speyside & highland realms...nor have I purchased any Macallan as yet. I'm not into the heavies...the peat & smoke of the Islays. Is the CS one to not pass up?

There's rumors that MacCS production has stopped or will be stopping soon - $130 seems steep to me.

That's an extremely high price. I've purchased bottles between 55-75. Look for a Glenfarclas 105 or Aberlour A'Bunadh and see if you can find either under 80. They are stylistically similar to the Mac CS.

Thanks very much guys! I appreciate your help. I kinda figured that was a bit steep. However, I'm much less practiced in the world of Scotch as opposed to Bourbon. I'm pretty much still a rookie in re to the water of life....but I'm sampling, learning, and becoming ever more aware how this stuff can grow on you. My next purchase will probably be 2-3 bottles depending on the ole paycheck. I'm thinking of getting a few different ones to add to the cabinet to diversify the ole taste buds further - although I realize by shying away from the peat & smoke, I may find myself a bit limited and find a lot of similarity.

Thanks again for the guidance...appreciate everyone taking time to assist me in my Scottish journey.:cool: A great weekend to all! :toast:

• 2 weeks later...
That's an extremely high price. I've purchased bottles between 55-75. Look for a Glenfarclas 105 or Aberlour A'Bunadh and see if you can find either under 80. They are stylistically similar to the Mac CS.

I can get an ABunadh right now for roughly $51 out the door. I like it better than the Macallan CS. I'm tempted to buy another bottle...

Why buy the lackluster Macallan 12 when there is Mortlach?

Availability? As far as sherried Speyside whiskies go, I would replace Mortlach with GlenDronach in that question. I've never been able to walk into a store and find any Mortlach, aside from a random IB now and again.

Availability? As far as sherried Speyside whiskies go, I would replace Mortlach with GlenDronach in that question. I've never been able to walk into a store and find any Mortlach, aside from a random IB now and again.

I would agree with this. Hi Time having the Glendronach for $40 is one of my go to sherried speysides.

• 1 month later...

Gots to love the single malts. :cool: Personally I think Macallan 12 is an excellent scotch for the price. Read the description on the box. If you like what you read what's in the box won't disappoint.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.