The Macallan 12?

Alden
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Availability? As far as sherried Speyside whiskies go, I would replace Mortlach with GlenDronach in that question. I've never been able to walk into a store and find any Mortlach, aside from a random IB now and again.

While I love Mortlach, Trey is right about its availability. Hopefully we will be getting the full lineup from Mortlach on the shelves here in the next few years.

Glendronach is a good alternative to Macallan as (again) Trey has mentioned.

It seems like Macallan gets no love these days. There is nothing to dislike about Macallan 12 IMO. It is a good whisky for the money. The CS is better but, it isn't $130 better. I'm partial to Aberlour myself, for sherried whisky. It's all good if you can get it. Getting it seems to be the problem! I don't bother mail ordering anymore..... too much trouble. If I can't get something I just make do with what I can get....... which aint much in Ohio!

Macallan 12 is going for crazy prices in the UK since its been discontinued so I would say stock up if you like it. Macallan as a distillery is a little odd to me. They have such a big jump from the 12 to the 18 pricewise. I would think they could make a 15 yr sherry cask for around 80-100 bucks and make more money. Macallan 12 is good for me but A'bunah is better in every way for the money.

While I love Mortlach, Trey is right about its availability. Hopefully we will be getting the full lineup from Mortlach on the shelves here in the next few years.

Glendronach is a good alternative to Macallan as (again) Trey has mentioned.

I used to be able to walk into my local bottle shop and find 4-5 different IBs of Mortlach on the shelf at any given time. Then this article came out: http://whiskyadvocate.com/whisky/2013/12/02/good-news-and-bad-for-mortlach-lovers/

I managed to snag a bottle of Chieftain's Mortlach 15 (seems to be a good age for that malt) prior to the panic buying, but I don't expect to see it on the shelves again until Diageo starts shipping the "new and improved" version. I also don't expect to see the 16 Flora and Fauna for a reasonable price ever again.

For those looking at GlenDronach, I recommend the 12 and HIGHLY recommend the 15. I don't know that anyone would be disappointed with the 18, but I absolutely do think the 15 is superior. Frankly, I think they are still slipping casks of much older whisky into their standard expressions (similar to Ardbeg when they restarted). If for no other reason, I am happy to support GlenDronach because they are owned by BenRiach instead of a giant multinational.

I used to be able to walk into my local bottle shop and find 4-5 different IBs of Mortlach on the shelf at any given time. Then this article came out: http://whiskyadvocate.com/whisky/2013/12/02/good-news-and-bad-for-mortlach-lovers/

I managed to snag a bottle of Chieftain's Mortlach 15 (seems to be a good age for that malt) prior to the panic buying, but I don't expect to see it on the shelves again until Diageo starts shipping the "new and improved" version. I also don't expect to see the 16 Flora and Fauna for a reasonable price ever again.

For those looking at GlenDronach, I recommend the 12 and HIGHLY recommend the 15. I don't know that anyone would be disappointed with the 18, but I absolutely do think the 15 is superior. Frankly, I think they are still slipping casks of much older whisky into their standard expressions (similar to Ardbeg when they restarted). If for no other reason, I am happy to support GlenDronach because they are owned by BenRiach instead of a giant multinational.

I agree with the 15 revival. Its an awesome pour and a fair price.

I agree with the 15 revival. Its an awesome pour and a fair price.

Starting to push $100 around here which is getting pretty pricey. When I first bought it at $70ish I would have agreed!

Starting to push $100 around here which is getting pretty pricey. When I first bought it at $70ish I would have agreed!
Sadly, I have to report the same for Maryland as of this week. It's not the worst bargain when I consider how much more I like it than Macallan 18, which is now over $200 a bottle in some shops I frequent. On the other hand, I think the bottle I have set aside from one of the earliest import shipments 'Dronach did to the U.S. is probably going to be the last one I buy for a good long time. Sherried whisky is probably the easiest to find a variety of around here, and there's always A'bunadh. Edited by garbanzobean

$65.99 at Hi Time. I don't think things can be shipped to GA though. If you see some other stuff you want from there, maybe I can help mule some your way if you want.

$65.99 at Hi Time. I don't think things can be shipped to GA though. If you see some other stuff you want from there, maybe I can help mule some your way if you want.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.