What is the worst scotch you ever tasted?

Alden
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've had more foul scotches than foul bourbons.

The worst?

Johnny Walker Red Label. Bilgewater mixed with Ethenol is better.

Laphroaig = smoky peat moss that reminds me of iodine and band-aids.

I read somewhere that it was one of the few scotches (if not the only scotch) that was allowed to be imported during prohibition for medicinal use because they couldn't believe that anyone would actually enjoy the truly medicinal taste.

Laphroaig = smoky peat moss that reminds me of iodine and band-aids.

I read somewhere that it was one of the few scotches (if not the only scotch) that was allowed to be imported during prohibition for medicinal use because they couldn't believe that anyone would actually enjoy the truly medicinal taste.

See the last Scotch thread I posted in for the single malt I dislike the bost. My least favorite blend is J & B. I love Laphroaig.

A one off cask strength 21 year old Mortlach that cost me $200 twenty years ago and was so overly woody and astringent we had to mix it with ginger ale to drink it.

All of it. Sorry, have tried maybe a dozen or so over the last several years and just can't stand the smell or taste. It doesn't make me gag like beer, but it comes close. I can't even stand it as a mixer.

All of it. Sorry, have tried maybe a dozen or so over the last several years and just can't stand the smell or taste. It doesn't make me gag like beer, but it comes close. I can't even stand it as a mixer.

Beer makes you gag?

I picked up a dusty Whyte & Mackay Special Reserve, which was just horrible. I do like Laphroaig & Ardbeg.

Beer makes you gag?

Yep, another taste I find repulsive. I've tried at many times throughout the last 20 years to like beer(s), but really don't. It literally makes me want to throw up. :bigeyes:

The two that come to mind are the 2012 Laphroiag Cairdeas Origin 2012 that I bought last year and a Bowmore 12 that I ordered on a cruise earlier this year. I suspect bad bottles in both cases, but they were off putting enough that I have avoided those particular bottles since.

I've had more foul scotches than foul bourbons.

The worst?

Johnny Walker Red Label. Bilgewater mixed with Ethenol is better.

Yea, the Red isn't very good, to say the least.

The two that come to mind are the 2012 Laphroiag Cairdeas Origin 2012 that I bought last year and a Bowmore 12 that I ordered on a cruise earlier this year. I suspect bad bottles in both cases, but they were off putting enough that I have avoided those particular bottles since.

Maybe you should steer clear of the Islays.

Maybe you should steer clear of the Islays.

Why? Because I had two crap bottles, both which happened to be from Islay? That's like saying, "Oh, you didn't like The Phantom Menace? Maybe you should steer of the sci-fi genre entirely."

Considering I've been to Islay before (as well as spending two days there again this summer), and practically have a section of my house dedicated to Bruichladdich, this is amusing to me.

Why? Because I had two crap bottles, both which happened to be from Islay? That's like saying, "Oh, you didn't like The Phantom Menace? Maybe you should steer of the sci-fi genre entirely."

Considering I've been to Islay before (as well as spending two days there again this summer), and practically have a section of my house dedicated to Bruichladdich, this is amusing to me.

Wow. You are really touchy.

Maybe you should go have a drink.

Wow. You are really touchy.

Maybe you should go have a drink.

Yes, but only if I start a new thread every time :rolleyes:

Yes, but only if I start a new thread every time :rolleyes:

All right, go for it.

Without question. The Hart Brother's 22 year old bottling of Bowmore. We call this beauty, "The Green Bowmore". The color is actually a shade of green. The nose is incredibly perfumey. The classic "FWP" profile. Loch Dhu is in the running as well.

What is FWP profile?

French Whore Perfume = FWP. Found in some older Bowmore.

Seriously. It was an apt nosing note that grew legs. Or rather spread em? I'll stop there.

French Whore Perfume = FWP. Found in some older Bowmore.

Seriously. It was an apt nosing note that grew legs. Or rather spread em? I'll stop there.

:lol::):lol::)

Edited by Alden

Oh and I've been to Islay before too, and Jura, and Mull, and Iona, and Skye, and Grantown on Spey, etc. etc. etc. and have a section of my garage dedicated to Kentucky.

:rolleyes:

I'll admit that Johnny Walker Red is not good, but there are much, MUCH worse blended Scotches out there. Like I said there's J & B, Cutty Sark, and a host of bottom shelfers like Inver House and The Old Smuggler. JW Red tastes like Lagavulin compared to those.

Loch Dhu. I bought a bottle of this around 1997 when I was first getting into single malts from blends. It probably created my love of bourbon because after that bottle, it was a long time before I bought another bottle of SM.

I'll admit that Johnny Walker Red is not good, but there are much, MUCH worse blended Scotches out there. Like I said there's J & B, Cutty Sark, and a host of bottom shelfers like Inver House and The Old Smuggler. JW Red tastes like Lagavulin compared to those.

They are all about the same to me. The bottom two shelves at any LS basically all taste equally bad, or just bland.

My entry into the world of scotch was one called Scoresby. It's the most basic well scotch you can get, I believe. It's swill. I know that now, but it tasted good to me 25 years ago.

Interesting how all that changes with exposure to really good foods and drinks over time.

I had a pour of Clan MacGregor a few years ago. Completely appalling splash of lighter fluid that was.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.