What is the worst scotch you ever tasted?

Alden
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

True story. Starting drinking scotch 40 yrs ago when I discovered no one (well very few) would pour from a scotch bottle at byob parties in college. Back in those days Cutty was my favorite and I thought really good. About ten yrs I got stuck on Glenfiddich & Glenlivet and then about 8 months ago I bought a bottle of Laphroiag 10. My grandmother gave me castor oil as a kid that tasted better. Since I'm a little tight I tried mixing it with anything for a couple of days. I finally gave up and poured a half full bottle down the drain (haven't needed Liquid Plummer since). Went right out and bougth bottles of both Glen's but now they tasted like toilet water after you've sold Buicks & called out for Ralph. The good news is that this one experience brought me to the world of bourbon and thatn the Good Lord it's heaven on earth. Haven't bought two of the same thing yet and have 15 opened bottles on the shelf. Everyday is like a new adventure. Amen. ps - still have half bottles of both the Glens in the closet.

True story. Starting drinking scotch 40 yrs ago when I discovered no one (well very few) would pour from a scotch bottle at byob parties in college. Back in those days Cutty was my favorite and I thought really good. About ten yrs I got stuck on Glenfiddich & Glenlivet and then about 8 months ago I bought a bottle of Laphroiag 10. My grandmother gave me castor oil as a kid that tasted better. Since I'm a little tight I tried mixing it with anything for a couple of days. I finally gave up and poured a half full bottle down the drain (haven't needed Liquid Plummer since). Went right out and bougth bottles of both Glen's but now they tasted like toilet water after you've sold Buicks & called out for Ralph. The good news is that this one experience brought me to the world of bourbon and thatn the Good Lord it's heaven on earth. Haven't bought two of the same thing yet and have 15 opened bottles on the shelf. Everyday is like a new adventure. Amen. ps - still have half bottles of both the Glens in the closet.

I must bow my head in sorrow over the demise of the peated malt. Last year, I bought a bottle of Ardbeg 10 and nearly considered doing the same thing after my first few sips. It was just like drinking chloraseptic throat spray. But I started adding a few drops at time to my Scotch ales, which really added a nice peaty character. Then I started vatting it with other malts and adding it to good ginger ales. Now I'm up to enjoying an ounce at a time and wishing I had stocked up before the price shot up another 12 bucks!

• 2 weeks later...

I had a Murray McDavid Arran malt aged in Chateau Margaux casks. It tasted good for about two seconds before being overwhelmed with sulphur. I promptly returned it. My other worst Scotch is probably McLellands Islay. I just can't bring myself to drink it. Tastes like lemons and burnt paper. The smoke is too thin, the citrus too sharp...it just tastes badly put together.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.