What is the worst scotch you ever tasted?

Alden
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Dewar's 12 was pretty awful, imho.

Dewars makes me run away screaming like a little girl.

I think most of the "standard" blends - J&B, Dewars, Cutty - are all totally acceptable. JW Red is not pleasant for me, but Black was one of my gateway drinks.

I think most of the "standard" blends - J&B, Dewars, Cutty - are all totally acceptable. JW Red is not pleasant for me, but Black was one of my gateway drinks.

Ahh, the voice of reason. :)

My apologies, Tom, but Ardbeg Alligator was like sucking on a burnt tire to me. But I appreciate the opportunity to try it! :grin:

I guess I'm one of the few that actually likes JW Red. No, it's not a world beater but I think it's decent enough for a cheap blend. Dewars is fine but boring, same with Cutty Sark (although it's been many years since I tried it). J & B is pretty bad. I've had no desire to try any of the other bottom shelfers since I can get Famous Grouse, JWR, and White Horse for around $20.

The worst scotch I have had was whatever well scotch went in a Rob Roy that I ordered several years ago. A casual acquaintance had mentioned that since I liked Manhattans I should try a Rob Roy. It was awful: smoky, oily, tequila-like in a bad way. Way too young. Blech.

Dewar's hands down is the worst blend. Clynelish 14 is loved by many, but to me it is awful, awful. Like drinking salty bitter grapefruit juice.

Clynelish 14 is... Like drinking salty bitter grapefruit juice.

Mmm... Sounds so good! If it weren't 8AM here, I'd have a pour!

;-)

I like most whisk(e)ys to some degree or another but my worst would be JW Red...harsh tasting, and Canadian Mist (I don't know if was a bad batch or what but it tasted like turpentine).

Yeah, 8 a.m. is a bit late in the day to start drinking.

Squire, of all your one-liners, that one made me smile the most.

Its a lot easier to find bad scotch than bad bourbon. When bourbon is bad its still fairly drinkable.

For scotch, the cheapest blends are vile. But it was meant as a mixer. I consider JW red one of the best of the bad bkends

I had many foul scothes. They share one of three common factors.

1. Sulphured (rubber/rotten eggs)

Examples : Glendronach Parliament, HP Magnus Eunson the list is long

2. Baby puke/donkey piss. Immature. Often in younger whisky. Very occasional in older

Examples: Abhainn Dearg first bottling. Young arran. Tobermory. Jura

3. Weird finishes

I had several pukastrophes. A G&M Caol Ila red wine finish. Longrow Tokaji. Most of Edradours range

4 Cu Dubh. Needs its own section

Steffen

Talisker 10 had a taste of Band-Aids, iodine and seaweed. Absolutely horrible stuff. Lagavulin 16 however has just the right amount of funk to make things interesting.

Talisker 10 had a taste of Band-Aids, iodine and seaweed. Absolutely horrible stuff. Lagavulin 16 however has just the right amount of funk to make things interesting.

This post made me laugh.

Yeah, 8 a.m. is a bit late in the day to start drinking.

There's a bar in Baltimore (sorry, Bawlmore) that sells shirts saying "You can't drink all day if you don't start first thing in the morning". I'm not going to lie, if one of my patents gets taken up by big pharma, it's a houseboat and hand-picked barrels for me and the wife, at least for a year or two.

Bad I hope it goes so well you can afford your own private label.

+1. Best of luck with that. Houseboats can't be beat.

Knew a guy who after his third divorce moved into his houseboat which he moored in the Marina next to the bar. Always thought that guy had sense.

This post made me laugh.

Maybe he's remembering Laphroaig 10. :)

I'm going to throw in another vote for Dewar's White Label.

So far Dewar's is in the lead. :lol:

In the lead and marching in the wrong direction.

Dewar's is mainly a combination of Aberfeldy and Craigellachie, one from Higlands, the other Speyside, and a loving spoonful of lighter fluid.

Dewar's is mainly a combination of Aberfeldy and Craigellachie, one from Higlands, the other Speyside, and a loving spoonful of lighter fluid.

Don't forget the grain whisky base. Not a lot of flavor, just sits back and allows the lighter fluid to stand out.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.