What non-whisk(e)y spirit are you drinking?

BigBoldBully
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Found my first bottles of Lairds 12 year old in Delaware this week. 

I seem to be on a roll: Laga 12, MWND, and Lairds 12 all within the past two weeks! 

I did pass on all that PVW and BTAC loaded up in the locked box at full-blown secondary prices in Bellmawr, though. 

• I like it 1

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if this fits here, but seems a suitable spot.  Fitting for the evening.  

3792E00B-2D4D-4986-9321-3A33CEC52E35.jpeg

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/24/2018 at 8:50 PM, smokinjoe said:

Not sure if this fits here, but seems a suitable spot.  Fitting for the evening.  

3792E00B-2D4D-4986-9321-3A33CEC52E35.jpeg

Look at you getting all "crafty"! And a festive picture as well.

• 2 weeks later...

This bottle is older than I am-- wish I had aged so gracefully. Did a quick SBS of the other cinchona-based liqueurs here and it smokes them all by a wide margin. I would assume that it continued to evolve in the bottle over the past 50+ years.

IMG_0115.thumb.jpg.5cc0ec20f2809c0a78a729394c42b78b.jpg

• I like it 2

17 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

This bottle is older than I am-- wish I had aged so gracefully. Did a quick SBS of the other cinchona-based liqueurs here and it smokes them all by a wide margin. I would assume that it continued to evolve in the bottle over the past 50+ years.

M8, I don't want to seem like a dumbass, but what is this? From, age, classified.....

M8, I don't want to seem like a dumbass, but what is this? From, age, classified.....

Well you’re the only one and I’m fascinated, tell me more, tell me more.

4 hours ago, LCWoody said:

It's an Italian bitter digestif incorporating cinchona bark which contains quinine-- the historic malaria-fighter, along with plenty of other herbs and botanicals. A "health tonic" liqueur with digestive properties and theoretically a cure for malaria. Many spirits as such have great stories…

IMG_0121.thumb.jpg.51fd778fc3da008d73dc07bbf0a4f3d6.jpg

• I like it 2

It's an Italian bitter digestif incorporating cinchona bark which contains quinine-- the historic malaria-fighter, along with plenty of other herbs and botanicals. A "health tonic" liqueur with digestive properties and theoretically a cure for malaria. Many spirits as such have great stories…

IMG_0121.thumb.jpg.51fd778fc3da008d73dc07bbf0a4f3d6.jpg

That’s an impressive collection of bitters and aperitifs. I see the Gammel Dansk hiding on the bottom shelf, which is one of my favorites. They made a commemorative LE version quite a few years ago that is fantastic. It’s called Gammel Dansk Asmund Special.

Underberg is another bitter to seek out for your collection, but perhaps it’s just hiding.

15 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

That’s an impressive collection of bitters and aperitifs. I see the Gammel Dansk hiding on the bottom shelf, which is one of my favorites. They made a commemorative LE version quite a few years ago that is fantastic. It’s called Gammel Dansk Asmund Special.

Underberg is another bitter to seek out for your collection, but perhaps it’s just hiding.

That's a damn tough one to hide…

IMG_8552.thumb.jpg.0a0de8c71686bc8623c1ea41f6f89077.jpg

• I like it 1

That's a damn tough one to hide…

IMG_8552.thumb.jpg.0a0de8c71686bc8623c1ea41f6f89077.jpg

Haha! I figured you had it somewhere! Yeah, the minis are all I usually see even when I’m in Denmark visiting the in-laws.

On 1/23/2019 at 3:56 AM, Marekv8 said:

Any similarity to Bigallet China-China with it’s deep orange flavor profile?

43 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I'll check and report back. This past match-up was against mostly Ferro-China liquids-- but the Amer would also be a good comparison. Do you subscribe to Alex Bachman's SOLE AGENT email blasts?

IMG_0118.thumb.jpg.031dd4f58fcbf9074472683165106791.jpg

12 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

No, only in the general bitter herbal department-- the Bigallet fills the room with orange essence when opened, amazing stuff. The sugars in the Cinzano have obviously transformed over the 50+ years-- plus acquired some OBE. I followed this SBSBS with a 50/50 Bigallet/Smith & Cross combo which was excellent. Finished with the chocolately goodness of Tagliatella…

IMG_0170.thumb.jpg.9498a31fedd6a197002b6ab31fa1fe51.jpg

IMG_0172.thumb.jpg.c13d16bfb57715272517da9bce7e391b.jpg

Decided to crack one of these open today. 

First time trying it. 

Very bright and citrusy, but I typically enjoy my gin at higher proof than 80. 

Very good.  Refreshing in a way. 

465CCD67-1392-4ED9-B5EE-175F09DDF8BF.jpeg

49 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Decided to crack one of these open today. 

First time trying it. 

Very bright and citrusy, but I typically enjoy my gin at higher proof than 80. 

Very good.  Refreshing in a way. 

465CCD67-1392-4ED9-B5EE-175F09DDF8BF.jpeg

Someone's having a good snow/cold day!

• I like it 1

On 1/31/2019 at 3:12 AM, Marekv8 said:

No, only in the general bitter herbal department-- the Bigallet fills the room with orange essence when opened, amazing stuff. The sugars in the Cinzano have obviously transformed over the 50+ years-- plus acquired some OBE. I followed this SBSBS with a 50/50 Bigallet/Smith & Cross combo which was excellent. Finished with the chocolately goodness of Tagliatella…

Thanks for the comparison. The Bigallet/S&C blend sounds excellent!

A rum-based liqueur from Lyon Distillery in Maryland. Pretty interesting for a domestic creation-- I'm going to have to pull out the punches, punsches, shrubbs and others for comparison.

IMG_0215.jpg

Everything but the kitchen sink today… the Vallet bitter pomegranate liqueur from Oaxaca is divine.

IMG_0227.thumb.jpg.68fffec7701988c2ea1bdea3f5bfa823.jpg

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Everything but the kitchen sink today… the Vallet bitter pomegranate liqueur from Oaxaca is divine.

IMG_0227.thumb.jpg.68fffec7701988c2ea1bdea3f5bfa823.jpg

That does indeed sound interesting! Will have to look around and see if I can find one although I expect it will be a challenge.

On 2/9/2019 at 7:04 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

That does indeed sound interesting! Will have to look around and see if I can find one although I expect it will be a challenge.

A shop that carries the other Vallet liquids or the Panama-Pacific rums should be able to bring it in…

IMG_0237.thumb.jpg.9a3eb7776d3ee74f95738c713f0db9e5.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Found this dusty bottle of Campari and this weird decanter with an Italian Tax strip, anyone want to venture a guess as to what is in that bottle?

y4mpGZJ9bXrpbCZ9k2Rcg5m1uFhGQbLot7-dq2_j

Now to find some dusty vermouth so I can make a dusty boulevardier 

40 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Found this dusty bottle of Campari and this weird decanter with an Italian Tax strip, anyone want to venture a guess as to what is in that bottle?

y4mpGZJ9bXrpbCZ9k2Rcg5m1uFhGQbLot7-dq2_j

Now to find some dusty vermouth so I can make a dusty boulevardier 

Olive oil...… 

5 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

Olive oil...… 

From what I can read in my bad Italian it appears to be a spirit of some sort either way it was $4 one thing is for sure if it's olive oil it's not edible :) 

Edited by kevinbrink
  • I like it 1

5 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

From what I can read in my bad Italian it appears to be a spirit of some sort either way it was $4. 

Just the thought of a tax stamp Olive Oil makes me laugh. :) 

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, LCWoody said:

Just the thought of a tax stamp Olive Oil makes me laugh. :) 

It's a controlled substance in some locals ;) 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.