The French Spirits Forum- Cognac, Armagnac, Calvados

compliance

On 10/31/2018 at 5:23 PM, EarthQuake said:

@WhiskeyBlender Okay great thanks, I may just have to get the Busca for myself for Christmas.

I got the Viognier last week and have had a few glasses so far. If someone gave me this without knowing what it was I would guess it's a nice Armaganc. This is really well done. I haven't gotten the peach but I'll keep looking for it. Getting some red fruits (cherry?), something floral and some burnt caramel on the end. It's somehow delicate and intense. Intensely delicate? ? Thanks again for the recommendation, I'll make a mental note to try more GR releases when I see them.

@EarthQuake, where did you find the Viognier? At any rate, your description is spot on as "delicate and intense" or "intensely delicate." May I borrow that? 

@BigPapa, I'm not sure where EarthQuake got his bottle, but I know for sure that you can find it at Caddell & Williams (caddellwilliams.com). Look under "Old & Rare," and it should be near the bottom of the page. 

• I like it 1

OK folks a store I rarely frequent has a large selection of Vaghi/Baron de Sigognac vintages anyone have any insight/opinions on the producer, some are priced exceedingly well compared to other similarly aged Armagnacs so I've been fairly tempted to spring for one. 

7 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

OK folks a store I rarely frequent has a large selection of Vaghi/Baron de Sigognac vintages anyone have any insight/opinions on the producer, some are priced exceedingly well compared to other similarly aged Armagnacs so I've been fairly tempted to spring for one. 

@kevinbrink, yes, I know that one. This is a negociant, but not anywhere near the quality of a house like Darroze. The vintages and blends I know tend to be very "mushroomy" on the nose and palate. Even though the price is probably pretty nice, this is one I would advise to not buy and save your money for something much better. Just my 2 cents! ?

• I like it 3

11 minutes ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

@kevinbrink, yes, I know that one. This is a negociant, but not anywhere near the quality of a house like Darroze. The vintages and blends I know tend to be very "mushroomy" on the nose and palate. Even though the price is probably pretty nice, this is one I would advise to not buy and save your money for something much better. Just my 2 cents! ?

Thanks Nancy, appreciate the info as always, I owe you a few drinks if you ever find yourself in NY/NJ!

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Thanks Nancy, appreciate the info as always, I owe you a few drinks if you ever find yourself in NY/NJ!

Watch out @kevinbrink, I'll take you up on that one when I'm next in that area! ?

• I like it 1

Love the great info!!!!!!
  • I like it 1

On 11/2/2018 at 9:20 AM, WhiskeyBlender said:

@EarthQuake, where did you find the Viognier? At any rate, your description is spot on as "delicate and intense" or "intensely delicate." May I borrow that? 

@BigPapa, I'm not sure where EarthQuake got his bottle, but I know for sure that you can find it at Caddell & Williams (caddellwilliams.com). Look under "Old & Rare," and it should be near the bottom of the page. 

Certainly, but I borrowed it from Ardbeg. ? Their latest Grooves release listed "intensely mellow" in the description, which I thought was rather silly until I tried it and understood.

Also yeah, I got mine from Caddell & Williams.

• I like it 1

On 11/5/2018 at 9:24 PM, EarthQuake said:

Certainly, but I borrowed it from Ardbeg. ? Their latest Grooves release listed "intensely mellow" in the description, which I thought was rather silly until I tried it and understood.

Also yeah, I got mine from Caddell & Williams.

I recently borrowed a pretty good wake up headache from Ardbeg...

• I like it 2

A series of L'Encatada just showed up at a local place, any great insights available from a comparative standpoint?

35 year del Cassou, highest cost at 140

30 year del Cassou

27 year Domaine la Parre, cheapest at 90

20 year Bellair

I'm still shopping for "values" while I get my feet wet with Armangac and this seemed to be a pretty great deal at $80 based on reviews and a mention of the producer by Nancy. This is quite enjoyable looking forward to spending more time with it. 

y4mQpZzq3N3p-CTZSoLd3OWpc_3Br47nldy43WFc

• I like it 4

15 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I'm still shopping for "values" while I get my feet wet with Armangac and this seemed to be a pretty great deal at $80 based on reviews and a mention of the producer by Nancy. This is quite enjoyable looking forward to spending more time with it. 

y4mQpZzq3N3p-CTZSoLd3OWpc_3Br47nldy43WFc

Yeah, that's a great pour.....enjoy!

• I like it 1

32 minutes ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Yeah, that's a great pour.....enjoy!

So far this it's my favorite of what I have tried

y4mQpZzq3N3p-CTZSoLd3OWpc_3Br47nldy43WFc0q6XYGEvV12Okw70A6lKzKZQdU33cJoZzZwiwy41CFkyJAeWLqcmLJNBlH8FhhIXfu9eDFcGoEQDLirQHJ_zPpqg408WhD6U0zeZ-0TSZnYtfcd0VRumzazM3wxDDvUS0O1168UCcUlE_o9rI--_ExP5EUy?width=768&height=1024&cropmode=none

Pretty dark. What’s the age of that 82 bottling?

23 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Needed a little Armagnac, this is really good 30 years old before things got crazy in Armagnac.

IMG_5591.JPG
IMG_5592.JPG

Oh Hell yeah, that's one great pour! I'm actually headed back to France on Wednesday, and I'll be visiting Darroze again a week from Thursday. Whenever I'm over there, I stock up on Darroze bottles. Its fantastic juice. 

Oh Hell yeah, that's one great pour! I'm actually headed back to France on Wednesday, and I'll be visiting Darroze again a week from Thursday. Whenever I'm over there, I stock up on Darroze bottles. Its fantastic juice. 

Yeah I’ve been trying to look for other bottling but I might need to change that when I go back. I also didn’t realize these came in higher proof offerings was thinking there only 40-43%.

4 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Yeah I’ve been trying to look for other bottling but I might need to change that when I go back. I also didn’t realize these came in higher proof offerings was thinking there only 40-43%.

I think all the Darroze single vintages are barrel proof, but the blends are proofed down to 43% or so. 

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

I think all the Darroze single vintages are barrel proof, but the blends are proofed down to 43% or so. 

You're absolutely right, @EarthQuake. Darroze usually has the producers take the eau de vie off the still somewhere around 52 to 53% ABV, which goes directly into the cask. My guess is that since @HoustonNit's Darroze bottle was 30 years old and had only fallen down to 48.6% alc., he housed it in the dry, upstair portion of his chai. 

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Having some pellehaut 21 year that I've had for a year or so and never got around to opening, really really nice stuff.

• I like it 4

• 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Added these two to the shelf

y4mZj9mygsK6hWz8rCBKuZ1BgHhUNTKL0q-5NGtw

Very nice! I love Chateau de Briat, but I've never had the Domaine de Jean-Bon. Let us all know what you think of them!

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Very nice! I love Chateau de Briat, but I've never had the Domaine de Jean-Bon. Let us all know what you think of them!

I found a few reviews one by SKU for the this as well as a couple other vintages of the Domaine de Jean-Bon which lead me to think it was a safe-ish bet, the Briat I bought because it was only $55 so glad to hear I picked something worth buying! I'm taking care of a little health issue at the moment but looking forward to trying these when I get back into game shape. Thanks as always for your input!

Edited by kevinbrink
  • I like it 1

On 12/22/2018 at 9:12 PM, kevinbrink said:

I found a few reviews one by SKU for the this as well as a couple other vintages of the Domaine de Jean-Bon which lead me to think it was a safe-ish bet, the Briat I bought because it was only $55 so glad to hear I picked something worth buying! I'm taking care of a little health issue at the moment but looking forward to trying these when I get back into game shape. Thanks as always for your input!

Oh no, I hope you're on the mend very soon! When you're feeling better, please let me know what you think about the Briat. 

Cheers,

Nancy

• I like it 1