The French Spirits Forum- Cognac, Armagnac, Calvados

compliance

That Charles Neal video is awesome. It’s informative, yet campy at the same time.

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, mrpipster said:

Can I get some suggestions for under $20 brandy?

What are you thinking of using it for? Not sure of a brandy for drinking on its own at that price point. Heaven Hill (under the Christian Brothers name) has released one called Sacred Bond that is 100 proof and decent for cocktails. Never tried it on its own. Might be able to find it in the low $20s.

Yes. I want one for sipping while I smoke a cigar.

I was thinking E&J VO.

13 minutes ago, mrpipster said:

Yes. I want one for sipping while I smoke a cigar.

I was thinking E&J VO.

I wouldn't want to sip a VO (or even a VSOP), it's not designed or intended for that, especially since you are looking for an inoffensive, happy drink. Have you tried one before, is there any that you like?

Edited by Kane

I meant XO.

I had the E&J VSOP and liked it but,thought the XO should be much smoother.

25 minutes ago, mrpipster said:

I meant XO.

I had the E&J VSOP and liked it but,thought the XO should be much smoother.

Which makes a lot of sense since "VO" isn't a thing :) It's been a long & exhausting day... 

10 minutes ago, Kane said:

Which makes a lot of sense since "VO" isn't a thing :) It's been a long & exhausting day... 

Of course it's a thing…

IMG_9199.thumb.jpg.8496140fc417f061bb36f2c4b8b72af2.jpg

• I like it 2

A nice ???????? inexpensive brandy that I have been buying for years is Paul Masson  Grande Amber.  A touch sweet, thick viscosity, and a nice accompaniment to a cigar.  Sub $20 in my area.  I went looking for a brandy years ago that would deliver pretty much what you’re looking for.  PMGA checked most of the boxes.  

• I like it 1

22 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

A nice ???????? inexpensive brandy that I have been buying for years is Paul Masson  Grande Amber.  A touch sweet, thick viscosity, and a nice accompaniment to a cigar.  Sub $20 in my area.  I went looking for a brandy years ago that would deliver pretty much what you’re looking for.  PMGA checked most of the boxes.  

I was wondering about that one. I picked up a bottle of E&J XO. I will give it a shot this evening.

Thanks.

I wouldn't want to sip a VO (or even a VSOP), it's not designed or intended for that, especially since you are looking for an inoffensive, happy drink. Have you tried one before, is there any that you like?

Are you suggesting that no brands have a VSOP that is worthy of sipping? If so, I'd have to disagree, but the ones I like as sippers cost a lot more than $20.

30 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Are you suggesting that no brands have a VSOP that is worthy of sipping? If so, I'd have to disagree, but the ones I like as sippers cost a lot more than $20.

"No" is a bit too strong, but many brands don't, especially the big houses. It's a gamble with VSOPs in my opinion. And yes, that $20 was a factor in my response :)

"No" is a bit too strong, but many brands don't, especially the big houses. It's a gamble with VSOPs in my opinion. And yes, that $20 was a factor in my response :)

Well, big house Hennessy VSOP is my regular sipper when I'm in the mood for cognac (not often these days it seems). I prefer XO, but at less than a third of the price of the XO, the VSOP is a much more affordable, decent enough sipper, that I can usually find between $50-$60. The VS, on the other hand isn't even worth it's lower price point to me.

Gin isn't mentioned in the title of this thread, but I've found a French gin, Esme, which I think is just delightful. I never thought gin could be enjoyable neat or outside of a cocktail, but this one has helped change my mind. To me as a gin newbie it is very approachable and enjoyable. 

• 1 month later...

A PSA for all the Armagnac fans out there: K&L just got in more of the '92 and '81 vintage Cardinat Armagnacs and they won't last long. These are two of my favorite bottles from last year and really are not to be missed if you're an Armagnac fan. They are heavy on the oak but do have sweetness and spice that balance them out.

• I like it 1

Seemed fitting to drink calvados while finishing off the last of my homemade head cheese.

This is a fairly reasonably priced and available calvados but is actually pretty solid stuff. Appears to be made (or at least “produced”) by Chateau du Breuil, one of the big calvados negociants.

0A00501F-F6F3-4B91-824B-503F833C8B11.jpeg

Seemed fitting to drink calvados while finishing off the last of my homemade head cheese.

This is a fairly reasonably priced and available calvados but is actually pretty solid stuff. Appears to be made (or at least “produced”) by Chateau du Breuil, one of the big calvados negociants.

0A00501F-F6F3-4B91-824B-503F833C8B11.thumb.jpeg.b27380453d9581e9faf06dfc1d305fd2.jpeg

Homemade head cheese...I didn’t see any head cheese in the pic! [emoji6] Not something I’d expect to see in SF...

6 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Homemade head cheese...I didn’t see any head cheese in the pic! emoji6.png Not something I’d expect to see in SF...

Indeed, not too many people seem to make their own! Especially here, despite being in a city that prides itself on being a culinary destination. I usually go pig hunting once or twice a year and try to make use of everything I can including the organs and the head. You ever try your hand at this?

Here's a before and after...

Head Cheese 1.jpg

Head Cheese 2.jpg

• I like it 3

Indeed, not too many people seem to make their own! Especially here, despite being in a city that prides itself on being a culinary destination. I usually go pig hunting once or twice a year and try to make use of everything I can including the organs and the head. You ever try your hand at this?

Here's a before and after...

874628827_HeadCheese1.thumb.jpg.e46b9ebbeb903c74e6fb5ae1f432cbf6.jpg
1415823621_HeadCheese2.thumb.jpg.fe93ccb47f2913b053c2b42444f8984b.jpg

I’m impressed! No, I’ve never made it myself, but I used to eat it quite a bit growing up because my dad really liked it, and the commissary deli used to always have it in those days. A good friend of mine in Alabama hunts wild hogs a lot, but I don’t think he’s ventured down the path of making head cheese yet. I’ll have to mention it to him.

1 hour ago, lcpfratn said:

I’m impressed! No, I’ve never made it myself, but I used to eat it quite a bit growing up because my dad really liked it, and the commissary deli used to always have it in those days. A good friend of mine in Alabama hunts wild hogs a lot, but I don’t think he’s ventured down the path of making head cheese yet. I’ll have to mention it to him.

Thanks! It takes quite a bit of time but it has become one of my favorite things to eat off of the whole pig. It's amazing how much meat is on there once you cook and dismantle it.

Like you, I have fond childhood memories of head cheese so it's fun to re-create it, even though what I make is of a little different style than what my parents used to eat. It's a good activity to do with a friend as well because the hours of simmering and reducing provide ample time for beer/whiskey/rum/brandy drinking as well as conversation.

• I like it 1

^^^Hog's head souce, is what we call that around here!  Traditionally, it's everything that's left over, including parts not from the head.

• I like it 1

^^^Hog's head souce, is what we call that around here!  Traditionally, it's everything that's left over, including parts not from the head.

Souce! I’ve seen it called this when I’m perusing recipes. I did put a trotter and a pig heart in there so mine would probably qualify.
  • I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m just about finished with a bottle of Pellehaut 28yr from Astor. It’s a little too bitter on the finish but it’s really nice overall. The nose in particular is great. 

On 7/24/2018 at 3:51 PM, Spade said:

I’m just about finished with a bottle of Pellehaut 28yr from Astor. It’s a little too bitter on the finish but it’s really nice overall. The nose in particular is great. 

I've yet to have a bad Pellehaut. I debated buying that 28yo during one of their sales but ultimately didn't. Would have been a nice comparison against some of the ones I get locally.

One of my favorites is the 1994 Pellehaut. K&L has brought in a bunch of it over the past few years and it looks like Astor has this vintage now as well. I highly recommend it.

• I like it 1