The French Spirits Forum- Cognac, Armagnac, Calvados

compliance

7 hours ago, Kpiz said:

I've yet to have a bad Pellehaut. I debated buying that 28yo during one of their sales but ultimately didn't. Would have been a nice comparison against some of the ones I get locally.

One of my favorites is the 1994 Pellehaut. K&L has brought in a bunch of it over the past few years and it looks like Astor has this vintage now as well. I highly recommend it.

Thanks for the recommendation. After I finish off this bottle, I'll be down to one bottle of armagnac so I might order a few more in the near future and I'll definitely give the 1994 consideration.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Seemed like a fair gamble at $40

y4mm7xESbrWUBkmN-2vpSiYdjQLgR4anwzaQaI2a

Grande Champagne, Cognac, 25 yr, and $40? What's the catch?

1 minute ago, Kane said:

Grande Champagne, Cognac, 25 yr, and $40? What's the catch?

Not sure but this is very far from something I am knowledgeable about, I can say that this is the most enjoyable cognac of the 3 currently in my home. 

11 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Not sure but this is very far from something I am knowledgeable about, I can say that this is the most enjoyable cognac of the 3 currently in my home. 

What are the other two?

2 hours ago, Kpiz said:

What are the other two?

Frapin Grand Champagne Cuvee V.S.O.P. Rare Premier Grand Cru and Hennessey Master Blenders

6 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Frapin Grand Champagne Cuvee V.S.O.P. Rare Premier Grand Cru and Hennessey Master Blenders

Those seem like worthy adversaries for the new one. How's the sweetness level on the Fransac?

How does Hennessy Master Blenders compare to Hennessy Privilege (VSOP)? I've seen the Master Blenders around, but haven't been convinced to make the purchase yet since it's priced above the VSOP. I'd also like to find that 25yo for $40 in my area, but that will likely never happen.

7 hours ago, Kpiz said:

Those seem like worthy adversaries for the new one. How's the sweetness level on the Fransac?

Less sweet than the Hennessy, sweeter and much less dry than the Frapin. 

On 7/27/2018 at 4:10 PM, lcpfratn said:

How does Hennessy Master Blenders compare to Hennessy Privilege (VSOP)? I've seen the Master Blenders around, but haven't been convinced to make the purchase yet since it's priced above the VSOP. I'd also like to find that 25yo for $40 in my area, but that will likely never happen.

I've got a bottle of Hennessy Master Blender #2, it's acceptable but I wouldn't buy it again ($80). In this price range or a little more you can get some exceptional single vintage Armagnac, and the Master Blenders is a bit flat and underwhelming compared to say, a 20-30 year Darrozze.

It's not that it's bad or anything, on the contrary it's quite nice and I doubt you would be disappointed if you got one. To answer your question: it is a big step up over Hennessy VSOP in my opinion. I would only use Hennessy VSOP for mixing. The Master Blender is rather good neat.

I've got a bottle of Hennessy Master Blender #2, it's acceptable but I wouldn't buy it again ($80). In this price range or a little more you can get some exceptional single vintage Armagnac, and the Master Blenders is a bit flat and underwhelming compared to say, a 20-30 year Darrozze.

It's not that it's bad or anything, on the contrary it's quite nice and I doubt you would be disappointed if you got one. To answer your question: it is a big step up over Hennessy VSOP in my opinion. I would only use Hennessy VSOP for mixing. The Master Blender is rather good neat.

I actually like Hennessy VSOP neat, but I don't care for the VS anymore. I've had Hennessy XO and liked it, but didn't think it was worth almost 3x the price of VSOP.

• 3 weeks later...

Currently in France visiting the in laws. Been wanting to try Marc. Was hoping to find a more interesting bottle of better aged Burgundy Marc but at 20 euros figured this would be an introduction. Looks like it’s slightly aged and at a good proof 53%. I like the earthly notes on this and the higher proof. A bit rough on the finish as expected. Wouldn’t buy again but glad I tried it. Would also buy a better representation of this.

IMG_5204.JPGIMG_5203.JPG

Also saw this will likely buy the 12yr tomorrow. Like the fact that it’s higher proof cask strength offerings, first I’ve seen in Houston.

Anyone have any experience with these?

IMG_5201.JPG

Hi Kpiz on my return to France my father-in-law had a nice surprise for me. He picked up some home made calvados from one of his neighbors.

I think very good and interesting stuff.

One bottle is white and unaged. The other was aged in the cider barrrel. I have no idea how to gauge Calvados age but would guess 4-5 years in the barrel.

The bottles where put in is old wine bottles. The stars indicate it was a deposit bottle which was discontinued in the early 70s. There's a stamp on the bottle of 58. My guess is this was bottled in the early 60's.

Both bottles haven't been watered down. My father in laws guess is around 120 proof off the still and low 100s for the aged bottle. My my uneducated guess is still proof was slightly lower and the aged loss maybe 10 proof.

Both smell great and are quite nice if not a small bit strong.

41d0dea6d8709fca1b90239e57bc4edf.jpg

d6a898f90112ef73ac9c3d3ca976c8b1.jpg

634e0cf75eb07d042e529deeb3210f6a.jpg

A year later and had a couple pours from this same bottle of aged Calvados a year of it being open has really brought out the apple flavors, amazing stuff. I also got a little back story on this. Apparently everyone back I think through the 80s to 90s was allowed to make there own cider and distill for there own consumption. A guy use to go around with a horse drawn cart to the different villages in the area with a still in the cart. He’d hang out at the village bar, get drunk and people would bring there cider for him to distill. I don’t know if the tradition went away when the last distiller died or when the small village bars closed or the laws changed.

Too bad because I’d love to have more of this.

IMG_5207.JPG

On 9/2/2018 at 11:08 PM, Kane said:

Delord 25 with a side of Martell XO for random impromptu tasting. Delord was a bitch to open though.

IMG_20180902_230626.jpg

And the outcome was??? Kind of think the Delord is going to win easily though!

Delord 25 with a side of Martell XO for random impromptu tasting. Delord was a bitch to open though.

IMG_20180902_230626.thumb.jpg.2233cfa1ab579602033ac48f6184e5e9.jpg

Wish I could find Delord around my area. Great value !!! And delicious

3 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

And the outcome was??? Kind of think the Delord is going to win easily though!

Correct! Delord was quite oaky but also elegant, and unexpectedly viscous -- just look at those legs on the bottle's neck that wouldn't let go. In contrast the Martell Cordon Bleu (it wasn't the XO, sorry!) was thin and a bit too grapey/sugary. Of course, this is all relative, I still like Martell the best out of all big Cognac houses.

The funny thing is, I've had both of these many times before, and going by what I remember I totally expected Martell to wipe the floor with Delord. SBS tasting is a very educational tool indeed.

Edited by Kane

Had this while I was in France, was looking for cask strength and not to oaky and this certainly delivered. Picked it up at the grocery store. Great nose, palate and not a bad finish. Color was interesting almost like a Rose wine.

IMG_5210.JPG

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:25 PM, HoustonNit said:

Had this while I was in France, was looking for cask strength and not to oaky and this certainly delivered. Picked it up at the grocery store. Great nose, palate and not a bad finish. Color was interesting almost like a Rose wine.

IMG_5210.JPG

I'm assuming the only difference is proof (48.5%) and label, otherwise agreed quite tasty

y4mIEmZQHislN6GQL18RG0XcQTlr0JR0P3sPTMBS

That looks similar even down to the color. I assume you picked this up in the US? May I ask how much it retails for here?