The French Spirits Forum- Cognac, Armagnac, Calvados

compliance

On 12/22/2018 at 11:12 PM, kevinbrink said:

I found a few reviews one by SKU for the this as well as a couple other vintages of the Domaine de Jean-Bon which lead me to think it was a safe-ish bet, the Briat I bought because it was only $55 so glad to hear I picked something worth buying! I'm taking care of a little health issue at the moment but looking forward to trying these when I get back into game shape. Thanks as always for your input!

Sorry to hear Kevin, best wishes for a safe and speedy recovery.

Cheers, Dave

2 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Sorry to hear Kevin, best wishes for a safe and speedy recovery.

Cheers, Dave

Thanks Dave, nice to see you drop back in the Drams thread has really missed your photographic contributions

12 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Thanks Dave, nice to see you drop back in the Drams thread has really missed your photographic contributions

Thanks-- been totally off the grid for a while. Here's something thread-appropriate… a nicely balanced blend from Nicolas Palazzi…

IMG_1402.thumb.jpg.ffee7842c2a559eb43574256f8b179f1.jpg

Thanks-- been totally off the grid for a while. Here's something thread-appropriate… a nicely balanced blend from Nicolas Palazzi…

IMG_1402.thumb.jpg.ffee7842c2a559eb43574256f8b179f1.jpg

How is this I saw it posted online at my local and was curious.

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

How is this I saw it posted online at my local and was curious.

I just picked it up on Christmas Eve and have really enjoyed it. An intense, yet balanced blend of Drum pipe tobacco, slightly singed spicy fruit danishes and chewing the wooden stick from a summer camp grape Popsicle®.

1 minute ago, Marekv8 said:

...chewing the wooden stick from a summer camp grape Popsicle®.

Love it! Best tasting description this year. :D  Excellent!  

• I like it 1

I just picked it up on Christmas Eve and have really enjoyed it. An intense, yet balanced blend of Drum pipe tobacco, slightly singed spicy fruit danishes and chewing the wooden stick from a summer camp grape Popsicle[emoji768].

Wow as Joe states what a description. I passed on this morning at $105+ tax. If it was maybe $80 or less I’d consider being a buyer.

I thought I would dip my toes in the Armangac pool and picked up a bottle of 1981 Chateau De Lacaze before Christmas, opened last night and had a few pours, and it was pretty damn good. Very deep and rich. 

• I like it 1

18 hours ago, KyleCBreese said:

Nancy, any experience with this one?

BF9C9963-76DA-4268-B198-D5C73E10584A.jpeg

@KyleCBreese, oh my God, I'm absolutely chartreuse with envy and turning every shade of green around that!!!! Hell yes I'm familiar with Cognac Frapin. I know this is name dropping, but several years ago their Cellar Master, Patrice Piveteau, gave me a tour of the Frapin distillery and aging cellars at Frapin. Their VP, master blender Alain Royer, is also a friend and mentor of mine. As a matter of fact, I'll be seeing him again in a few more weeks! I just can't speak highly enough about the attention to every detail in production and to quality in the making of their Cognacs. 

Of the Frapin Millesimes, I've had the 1979, '83, '85, '86, '89, and '91, and I think also a few more that I didn't take tasting notes on, but unfortunately not the '88. I see that there is an XO next to the Millesime 1988. The XO is wonderful of course, but I would highly, highly recommend that you go for the '88. Although I haven't had that one, ALL of the other ones I've had have been exceptional. They do differ a little bit from year to year, as one might expect, but the quality should absolutely be right there. 

Please let me know if you buy this. I'd really like to get your feedback and tasting notes. 

Cheers, and Happy New Year!

Nancy

Edited by WhiskeyBlender
  • I like it 1

• 4 weeks later...

This one's a bit hard to classify, but certainly looks interesting. I think there's a bottle of Rémy Martin V around here to compare it to…

IMG_0155.thumb.jpg.e18fa243a9c0f5f0b519412e5133df2b.jpg

IMG_0157.thumb.jpg.62e4d381cf1dcfb7c6386f2ff10471ee.jpg

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

This one's a bit hard to classify, but certainly looks interesting. I think there's a bottle of Rémy Martin V around here to compare it to…

IMG_0155.thumb.jpg.e18fa243a9c0f5f0b519412e5133df2b.jpg

IMG_0157.thumb.jpg.62e4d381cf1dcfb7c6386f2ff10471ee.jpg

That's really interesting to me, especially since it came from Domaine d'Esperance, run by Claire de Montesquieu, who I deeply admire. I'm not that fond of the packaging, but nonetheless, how's the juice?

10 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

That's really interesting to me, especially since it came from Domaine d'Esperance, run by Claire de Montesquieu, who I deeply admire. I'm not that fond of the packaging, but nonetheless, how's the juice?

The nose and taste was immediately familiar-- so I pulled out the Rémy V and a basic Luxardo Grappa for reference. They were in the ballpark-- but the heavy dilution, filtration and deliberate sanitization of the Rémy made it such a Canadian cousin and the Grappa, while sharing some of the earthiness and dialed down sweetness-- was even further removed. It wasn't until I pulled out the Clairin trio from Velier that it clicked. For some reason, the rotting bagasse vegetal funk of the Clairin Sajous was present in the Cobrafire-- very interesting stuff.

IMG_0163.thumb.jpg.9ad2ddefece9530e3ab750e7b068acc6.jpg

IMG_0165.thumb.jpg.e41320eb7ccb83a123ec0bd100aa73f9.jpg

What you don’t like Cobra Fire branding???

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

What you don’t like Cobra Fire branding???

Personally, I'm all over it-- probably due to childhood memories…

the_snake.thumb.jpg.99c96ada98bd791807c86a65cbbd3d97.jpg

• I like it 2

@Marekv8, I love the comparison of it with clairin! That definitely gives me an image of it. Interestingly enough, about 4 years ago, I was working with a client in Haiti on formulating a spiced rum used clairin as the base. I developed a love for clairin (at least the artisanl stuff, not the super gut rot proofed down version). It reminds of of mezcal. 

@HoustonNit, it isn't that I don't like the packaging per se, but it just isn't the kind of packaging that I would expect from Domaine d'Esperance, or from anyone in that region. But on a tangent, I DO have fond memories of playing with HotWheels and Matchbox cars back in the mid-'70's. My sister and I would put firecrackers in them and race them down our very steep driveway and watch them blow up! LOL 

• I like it 3

@WhiskeyBlender I came across a few G-R bottles all at $90, I can only remember two one was "For the Lover of Fine Cigars" which sounds like a precursor to Old Havana and the other was Christmas Blend, either of these worth picking up? I'll have to go back to see what the third was.

Edited by kevinbrink

On 2/1/2019 at 8:23 PM, kevinbrink said:

@WhiskeyBlender I came across a few G-R bottles all at $90, I can only remember two one was "For the Lover of Fine Cigars" which sounds like a precursor to Old Havana and the other was Christmas Blend, either of these worth picking up? I'll have to go back to see what the third was.

@kevinbrink, wow, it does sound like you might have found a precursor to Old Havana! You didn't happen to take a picture of the bottle, did you? Regardless, Old Havana is always a good blend. As for the Christmas Blend, I know that back in the day, they were always interesting and tasty. The Christmas blends, at least the ones I was familiar with, tend to have a little more in the way of brown baking spices (aka "Christmas spices") than most of the G-R blends.

Unless something has radically changed at G-R, I can't imagine that you could go wrong with either of these bottles, especially for $90. I haven't seen Old Havana around here for any less than $100, sometimes even $120, so that's a great deal, and even more so if it is a precursor to OH. 

Cheers,

Nancy

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

@kevinbrink, wow, it does sound like you might have found a precursor to Old Havana! You didn't happen to take a picture of the bottle, did you? Regardless, Old Havana is always a good blend. As for the Christmas Blend, I know that back in the day, they were always interesting and tasty. The Christmas blends, at least the ones I was familiar with, tend to have a little more in the way of brown baking spices (aka "Christmas spices") than most of the G-R blends.

Unless something has radically changed at G-R, I can't imagine that you could go wrong with either of these bottles, especially for $90. I haven't seen Old Havana around here for any less than $100, sometimes even $120, so that's a great deal, and even more so if it is a precursor to OH. 

Cheers,

Nancy

I'll try to go back and get a picture, the bottles all looked like they had been there for a while, it's a small store so it felt a bit awkward to take one. Thanks as always for the info!

23 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I'll try to go back and get a picture, the bottles all looked like they had been there for a while, it's a small store so it felt a bit awkward to take one. Thanks as always for the info!

Yeah, @kevinbrink, I know that awkward feeling, especially in a small store where the employees seem to have eagle eyes. A time or two when I've been in that situation, I've just ask them if I can take a photo to send to a friend, just to see if its the right bottle they've been wanting. Most of the time they're gracious enough to let you do that, and it takes the weirdness out of the situation. 

At any rate, even if you aren't able to take the photo, just given the fact that it says "For the Lover of Fine Cigars," I would bet (almost) anything that it is indeed the precursor to Old Havana. That bottling (i.e., for the lover of fine cigars) would have been bottled somewhere between 1995 and 2001, so this would unquestionably have been distilled by Hubert himself. The blend is made with a good deal of distilled Sauvignon Blanc, which has some very interesting citrus-like notes. 

I'll say this, if that bottle is what I think it is, then if it were me, I would snatch it up in a heartbeat! In fact, if you get it, I'd sure be interested in finding out how I could get a small sample of it from you. ?

Cheers,

Nancy

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Yeah, @kevinbrink, I know that awkward feeling, especially in a small store where the employees seem to have eagle eyes. A time or two when I've been in that situation, I've just ask them if I can take a photo to send to a friend, just to see if its the right bottle they've been wanting. Most of the time they're gracious enough to let you do that, and it takes the weirdness out of the situation. 

At any rate, even if you aren't able to take the photo, just given the fact that it says "For the Lover of Fine Cigars," I would bet (almost) anything that it is indeed the precursor to Old Havana. That bottling (i.e., for the lover of fine cigars) would have been bottled somewhere between 1995 and 2001, so this would unquestionably have been distilled by Hubert himself. The blend is made with a good deal of distilled Sauvignon Blanc, which has some very interesting citrus-like notes. 

I'll say this, if that bottle is what I think it is, then if it were me, I would snatch it up in a heartbeat! In fact, if you get it, I'd sure be interested in finding out how I could get a small sample of it from you. ?

Cheers,

Nancy

I'll probably get back over there on Wednesday, considering how long they have likely been there, I don't think they have much chance of being sold. 

• I like it 1

On 2/4/2019 at 6:19 PM, WhiskeyBlender said:

Cheers,

Nancy

Ok only one of the "For the lover of Fine Cigars" which I picked up here is the rest of what they had.

IMG_20190206_120621915.jpg

IMG_20190206_120524057.jpg

• I like it 1

@WhiskeyBlender I finally went out and grabbed the Old Havana and the first impressions are Wow! Rich and creamy to start, almost reminds me of an Old Forester Birthday Bourbon. But the finish is full of tropical fruit, almost like a dried fruit trail mix with mango and banana chips. Too bad the store only had one bottle. 

CFB7A327-C3BF-427B-9C0F-4BD0F658E021.jpeg

Edited by KyleCBreese
Added picture
  • I like it 3