Woodford Masters Collection 2013

gooneygoogoo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

"Morris has become accustomed to defending the Master’s Collection."

See, you shouldn't have to...explain perhaps, but if you're defending...maybe you have a problem.

Edited by theglobalguy
Font color.

Wonder if these will meet the same fate as the rye set and languish until hitting the discount bin.

The beer world has taken to calling special releases that don't catch fire "shelf turds" and I suspect this may be one.

depends. to some folks, the rye wasn't such a dramatic change from regular woodford. if this has only subtle differences from regular woodford, then probably not a big seller either. I'll certainly try it.

I really wish these were bottled in 375 ml bottles at half the price. $90 for 750 ml keeps me from buying them pretty much ever.

ack! I missed that. I assumed they were doing it like the ryes. I've got to get two bottles at $99 each to try both expressions?? I was not that interested to begin with, and that interest is fading fast.

I too thought they would be doing a packaged set of two 375ml bottles. I really like to try experiments but if that is not the case then not sure I will buy two $100 bottles of a series that doesn't have the greatest track record to begin with.

In 2010, I wrote an article for WHISKY Magazine in which Chris Morris revealed some of the Masters Collection projects then underway. I tasted the malt whiskeys and they were awful. Three more years of aging may have helped. I have not yet tasted what they released.

The malt project was similar to the rye project. They took the spirit off the still at two different proofs, 62.4% ABV and 43.3% ABV. Those were the barrel entry proofs as well. The higher one was aged in new, charred oak barrels and the lower one was aged in used Woodford Barrels.

I have also tasted experimental malt whiskeys made by Heaven Hill and Buffalo Trace. They were bad too. I'm sure all of the major American producers have experimented with malt whiskey at some point. No one has come up with anything they're willing to produce. Perhaps this Masters Collection release will show us why.

Experimental releases are not necessarily great whiskey. Their purpose is to teach us something.

The new Masters Collection is usually revealed in October, after the bourbon festival, so perhaps they're planning to do something with it at the festival.

I've seen dispatches from some of the writers who are there and it looks like they did a whole BF dog and pony show, going to the cooperage and doing an Old Forester tasting too.

Edited by cowdery

Why not go to the effort of distilling a wort as another variable? Not knowing anything about it, that would seem to be a major difference in the Irish/Scotch model from what they attempted. Do any of the other single malt whiskey producers in the U.S. distill the mash?

Yeah. They've taught me not to spend $100 on experimental whiskey.

No kidding. But as long as I can get Old Forester for $15 they can charge $300 for the "master's collection" for all I care.

I know Woodford has it's fans, but I'm just not one of them. Their whole outfit to me is a dog a pony show, from the pretentious distillery where you have to pay to take the tour to the crap they put on the shelves. It's Brown Foreman juice mixed with a little of the Woodford make and sold at a premium price for what's in the bottle. What is telling to me is they never come to the market with a straight up we made it here, age stated product like the other distilleries do. Doesn't even have to be a single barrel product, but it's telling that they can't let their bourbon stand for itself, it's always some stupid experiment or gimmick. Sorry, rant off, hope I haven't offended the Woodford fans, but I'm just not high on what they do from top to bottom.

This one is screaming flop to me. We will carry it but Im not ordering a ton.

There are plenty of fine "single malts" available from all over scotland and ireland with age statements and reputable pedigrees.

Now a bourbon style whiskey made and aged in scotland would be something interesting.

This one is screaming flop to me. We will carry it but Im not ordering a ton.

There are plenty of fine "single malts" available from all over scotland and ireland with age statements and reputable pedigrees.

Now a bourbon style whiskey made and aged in scotland would be something interesting.

Might be as close as it gets. Made by HH but comes from Scotland.

Alchemist Heaven Hill

Although I am not sure this was aged in Scotland so maybe not...

Edited by tanstaafl2

If your premise that a single malt produced and aged in the USA is going to be a flop, then a bourbon-style whisky made and aged in Scotland would likewise be a flop - i.e. why try to replicate something that is already being done "to perfection" at a fraction of the cost elsewhere?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.