Woodford Masters Collection 2013

gooneygoogoo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

While I understand the intrigue and interest in these "experiments," I just don't understand the price to try. I would love to try the ryes, but at $95 for two 375's, it ain't going to happen. I remember a local retailer touting them when they came out. I told them that I bet those same bottles would still be sitting there in two years. I noticed the other day that they were. I have told them that if they cut the price to $50, I might walk out with one. $50 is even too much for 750 ml of something that might be swill.

Is the intent to just share the results of their experiment or are they trying to identify potential new products?

It didn't exactly set the world on fire.

It's not my place to criticize a company as big and successful as brown Foreman but bourbon is the hottest category in booze on the planet. A barrel strength or age stated woodford at $150 retail would have sold like hot cakes. Instead we have a scotch/single malt that we will still see on the shelves in 5 years.

I still stand by my original thoughts from a few years back, BF is trying to find something that that actually tastes decent comming off their pretty stills. Currently that can only be accomplished by mixing with OF. I do enjoy tasting their experiments, but the price and volume produced do not make sense to me. When they do get feedback that it might have potential, it will go into production, hence double oak. Tim

I feel the same way about WMC as I do about BTEC/SOP. I'm intrigued by the experiment and would love to participate, but really wish packaging and distribution were targeted at tasting plus feedback. The MC lineup so far, and parts of BTEC, to me, would have greater appeal at at a more modest price point for 3 or 5 packs of 50ml bottles. And 50 ml packs for SOP would be even better. At least that way, I can say "I didn't care for that one" and shrug off the (relatively) nominal wallet hit.

Does make ya scratch your head. I don't particularly like basic Woodford a whole lot, and I know it's not a favorite of SB generally, but anecdotally, it seems to be hugely popular. I know it is a staple amongst many of my friends, for what is perceived as a moderately priced, "higher-end" bourbon. So to Eric's point, rather than capitalizing on that name and going with a higher proof or older Woodford, going with a "scotchy" single malt at $100 apiece is just baffling. Bourbon drinkers aren't going to buy it. Scotch drinkers aren't going to buy it. So who the heck did they think would buy it?

Is the intent to just share the results of their experiment or are they trying to identify potential new products?

Both I expect, but for 1/3 of the price I can have a very good single malt from folks who have been perfecting their whisky for a couple hundred years now.

Tried both of these at the Party Source Spirits Library yesterday. My taste buds saved me from a costly mistake. The straight malt I thought was a good drink, but not $100 good. The classic seemed young and uninteresting.

Saw the Classic Malt and was an easy pass at $100. I'll echo the rest and say with so many nice single malt scotches $75 or below, I don't see spending $100 on this experiment. Squire puts it best, I'll stick to those who have been perfecting their whisky for a couple hundred years now.

squire said in part: ". . . [F]or 1/3 of the price I can have a very good single malt from folks who have been perfecting their whisky for a couple hundred years now."

I agree as does a scotch-only relative I shared some tastes of The Classic with on Christmas Eve. He and I agree fully on wines, but he can't figure out why I like bourbon. For scotch, he tends to peats while I will only buy nonsmoky lowland scotch or Irish whisky and that only rarely. Hence, I figured this would be a good evaluation.

We were both surprised at how grainy/grassy The Classic was, and how young - he thought it needed at least ten more years in a used barrel. After a couple of hours had passed, we tried a second round. I was reminded of Campbell's Beef with Barley soup from 40 years ago. He cleared his pallet with a room temp Laphroiag 16 while I cleared mine with a one-cubed Michael Collins SM. I'm glad Woodford played with it, but I won't be buying more Classic at $100 and won't buy The Straight at all - too much cheaper Irish around when I want that beef with barley hit, and too much bourbon to try at any price. Well, at a lesser price.

Well I can't believe the colts have came back. It's taken a lot if ECBP to get to this point. If they end up winning, Lord only knows what I open to celebrate. That or just pass out. :-)

Well I can't believe the colts have came back. It's taken a lot if ECBP to get to this point. If they end up winning, Lord only knows what I open to celebrate. That or just pass out. :-)

• 3 months later...
Yeah. They've taught me not to spend $100 on experimental whiskey.

This....exactly this.

tbt

So to Eric's point, rather than capitalizing on that name and going with a higher proof or older Woodford, going with a "scotchy" single malt at $100 apiece is just baffling. Bourbon drinkers aren't going to buy it. Scotch drinkers aren't going to buy it. So who the heck did they think would buy it?

Noobs like me. Haha...I think...

This bottle was a powerful lesson for me. I was attracted by it's price point and perceived exclusivity. I thought "What if it's awesome?"

It wasn't awesome. I bought the new oak version and to me, it just tastes like a fancier bread that you buy fresh baked at a supermarket's in-store bakery, with a couple of drops of malt vinegar drizzled on it. NOT a $100 experience, in my opinion.

Even with my limited experience in the bourbon world, it strikes me that this release has hurt the Woodford Master's Collection brand pretty badly.

I don't think they had to scrap it, but it would have been much better received as a $45 adventure instead of $100.

I will be interested to see what they intend to follow this with in 2014. Will they do something extra good to make it up to us?

I really like the current standard Distiller's Select WR, but reading around it seems this brand has had a rocky road getting started and has suffered a lot of inconsistency. If the Distiller's Select can stabilize where it is now, I think they'll be in good shape. I don't like their double oaked release - way too sweet and syrupy for my taste. The ladies on the tour seemed to enjoy it, though.

At present, I am ambivalent about "their Woodford Way"

tbt

They can make it, we can reject it. I dislike the dump it on the market attitude though, a boxed set of two 50 ml bottles at $19.95 would've provided an affordable taste experience and at least twice the profit.

Haha yeah, but Squire, if they sold it 50ml at a time, they'd never have gotten rid of it once people tasted the first ones!

tbt

I don't think we are the Woodford MC target audience. They are not trying to appeal to us. They are targeting the person who loves Woodford as their everyday or "top shelf" bourbon. And when they have a special occasion...or "hey, it's father's day and dad loves WR..." they spend the extra on one of these.

I don't think we are the Woodford MC target audience. They are not trying to appeal to us. They are targeting the person who loves Woodford as their everyday or "top shelf" bourbon. And when they have a special occasion...or "hey, it's father's day and dad loves WR..." they spend the extra on one of these.

I wouldn't say no to Woodford as a daily pour.

I think any whiskey made by a bourbon producer under the trappings of a $100 "Master's Collection" is precisely targeting the type of enthusiasts who frequent SB.com.

Hell, I'm one of them. I thought it was special purely because of the marketing/branding. Had it actually been special, they'd have had a very loyal enthusiast customer.

tbt

I am also one who enjoys WR. I always have a bottle of some sort open. My fave right now is the Double Oak SB available at our local Total Wine. It is for sure a little bit overpriced (given some recent releases this is a moving target) but it is a tasty pour. I also like the Four Wood MC release for it's corn forward taste. I only had 2 bottles but they were fun pours. I did skip this one but mostly because I have almost zero interest in scotch ATM. As long as they don't do something ridiculous like price a 375 at $100 I will give it at least a once over.

...I think any whiskey made by a bourbon producer under the trappings of a $100 "Master's Collection" is precisely targeting the type of enthusiasts who frequent SB.com....
they hook me for a bottle or three each year. I enjoy finding out what they've done different. it's worth $100 for the first bottle to see what's in it. but there's only a few I'd give another $100 for another bottle.

I really think Woodford is still discovering itself, and will become more and more reliable with time.

I also believe their 2014 Masters C could be phenomenal. I surely hope so.

tbt

The track record is about 33%. How about a simple age stated high proof distilled entirely in Versailles offering?

The track record is about 33%. How about a simple age stated high proof distilled entirely in Versailles offering?

I'd rather have one distilled entirely in Shively.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.