Woodford Masters Collection 2013

gooneygoogoo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

There was an experiment some years ago where a barrel of Makers was sent to Glenmorangie and a barrel of theirs sent to Makers, both new make and the idea was to see how the whiskys aged in the different environments. Don't recall anyone reporting back.

There was an experiment some years ago where a barrel of Makers was sent to Glenmorangie and a barrel of theirs sent to Makers, both new make and the idea was to see how the whiskys aged in the different environments. Don't recall anyone reporting back.

Wonder if they are still aging it, or if the silence is the verdict.

If your premise that a single malt produced and aged in the USA is going to be a flop, then a bourbon-style whisky made and aged in Scotland would likewise be a flop - i.e. why try to replicate something that is already being done "to perfection" at a fraction of the cost elsewhere?

I would be curious about a " bourbon" aged in used cooperage in a mild climate. Somewhere that it could get to be 30+ years old.

I know it would be a long experiment.

I know the Masters Collection gets a lot of hate but I for one absolutely love the Seasoned Oak and that has made me hopeful for subsequent MC products. I also really like Double Oaked but as I have mentioned before I am an oak fiend. I'm just not too interested in this malt project. Maybe I'll try to taste them at a bar and see what I think.

Second, I stashed a few Seasoned Oak when they were out, though I haven't since then.

I'm starting to like scotch, I'll reserve judgement until I get to try this one.

if ya like seasoned oak, have ya tried the four wood and the maple? the maple is like extracting all the bitters from wood and concentrating it down to a potent elixer.

if ya like seasoned oak, have ya tried the four wood and the maple? the maple is like extracting all the bitters from wood and concentrating it down to a potent elixer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Tried these both recently and find the release pretty intriguing. I'm not going to say they're great whiskeys, but the ability to taste them side by side and see the difference in used vs. new barrels is really interesting. The one in used barrels reminds me a lot of the St George single malts, some interesting pear like notes above the grain. Tough to lay out the $$$ for these, but if you have the opportunity to taste them side by side, it's a worthy experience.

Anyone else try these yet? I know it has hit in a few places and I'm hoping to find out more before I decide to buy one or not

Anyone else try these yet? I know it has hit in a few places and I'm hoping to find out more before I decide to buy one or not

I am tentatively planning to take them both for a spin on Wednesday with a couple of friends. Also have a Stranhans Colorado whiskey and a Westward "Oregon Straight" whiskey to play with in comparison. Both are even younger 2ish yo malt whiskeys that meet with varying degrees of positive reviews. House Spirits, makers of the Westward does some decent spirits with Aviation gin and Krogstad aquavit and I thought the whiskey was decent as well, if a bit young tasting. But might make a good test for the Woodford.

Most reviews seem to think the "classic" is a bit weaker than the "straight" malt but I think the fun is in comparing. Just a lot of cash to spend to get both.

But Brad prefered the "classic" for its unique charater as an American whiskey.

Edited by tanstaafl2

Most reviews seem to think the "classic" is a bit weaker than the "straight" malt but I think the fun is in comparing. Just a lot of cash to spend to get both.

But Brad prefered the "classic" for its unique charater as an American whiskey.

Here's the full tasting notes for reference: http://www.thirstysouth.com/2013/11/04/woodford-reserve-malt-whiskey/

Picked up a bottle of each today. I really like them. It's going to be fun playing with these for the next couple weeks, exploring the similarities and differences the wood gives. Definitely not scotch, and still has woodford character. Did I mention I like them?

Finally opened these up and tasted them with a few friends. Surprisingly the "classic" was the clear winner over the "straight" malt. The straight seemed closed and subdued with out any of the expected barrel influence. Perhaps it will open up with time.

post-8493-14489820048295_thumb.jpg

The classic isn't going to stand up to a typical scotch but it was interesting and flavorful in its own way with a barley forward flavor a bit like the Bere Barley although no where near as vegetal.

Not worth the cost except as experiments but I enjoyed trying them out and comparing the two. Would have been happier with two 375's like the rye a couple of years ago but the fact that those didn't sell probably eliminated the chance of that happening again.

Anyone who has both tried a 1:1 vatting of the two together? The sum is often greater than the individual parts.

Anyone who has both tried a 1:1 vatting of the two together? The sum is often greater than the individual parts.

Will have to give that some thought. Perhaps something to try at the next GBS meeting!

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.