you guys will never hear another ECBP locating complaint from me again....

393foureyedfox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The good news.....I finally located som ECBP recently, not only one, but three. Being the nice guy I am, I took only one, and left the others for other seekers. I had a cold at the time, so it sat here for a bit, until my head cleared up.

The bad news.....last night I finally cracked it open and had a nice big gulp and.......swear it is the worst thing I have ever bought. I truly hope I just got a bad bottle, as the reviews and acclaim on here about it is almost unanimous. If it werent sealed around the neck with plastic, Id have sworn someone put bourbon colored paint thinner in it. The nose is wrong, the taste is wrong, the feel is wrong, and the aftertaste makes me reach for anything nearby to rinse my mouth. What a disappointment after searching most of the year for one of these.

Its not the proof thats the problem, my favorites are high proofers (120 KC and 125-130 Bookers). I keep thinking its tainted with something, but it was sealed. Maybe its just not my kinda thing. I also dont like most 4R stuff, but I dont find them repulsive like this, just bland.

has anyone else had an experience like this?

You wont hear me complain anymore about not being able to find any....even if they were priced the same at $10, id grab the HH BIB over this. I cant put my finger on what it is, but its not good in any sense(to me).

now you can tell me that i am nuts and dont know what im talking about...but if this were the only bourbon available, id quit entirely.

No one can tell you your taste buds are wrong. Id say give it a little time to air out, and give it another try in a week or so. If you still think its bad send it to FL for me to try. I cant find it either.

OGD114 is another favorite of mine. I always find it needs time to air out before its really good. But even if i crack one open and take a sip right there, it isnt horrid, its just not great.

I have a feeling that maybe you don't like "over oaked/over aged" bourbon. I personally like woody bourbons and even though it's only 12yr. (which is still pretty old for bourbon) it tastes like a 20yr. + bourbon to me. It has a very oaked, smoky dark chocolate/dark fruit thing going on from what I've tasted, but you don't get that charcoal flavor that Weller 12 has (which I loathe.)

It's been said many times, and I'll say it again, that the "sweet spot" for aging bourbon is around 7-10 years for the most part. Of course there are exceptions - I've had some excellent bourbon from 4-20yrs old.

I really do hope some air time helps the taste for you. I know you have looked high and low for one, it would be a shame if you hated it now that you have it. Give it some time, who knows.

What batch did you get?

I love the stuff and am rationing out drops from my bottle. Its like bourbon extract. A few drops goes a long way.

I have heard other people say similar things. Our tastes are very similar so I have not purchased it. I'm sure I will try it some day and see for myself but there are too many other bourbons I currently want to worry about ECBP.

This happens to me occasionally as I'm sure it does to others. Tastes change and so on. Maybe come back to it in a month or so and see.

...to add to my previous statement...have you ever had Stagg? If so, how did you like it? It's about the closest thing I can think of to ECBP mainly based on the richness of both pours.

Well, that's too bad! You have been wanting to try it for awhile. The suggestion of giving it some air time and letting it sit for awhile are all good. I also got a bottle recently. I like EC12 and found this to be very similar, except hotter and a more enhanced flavor. I tried it neat. There is no way that I could drink it that way regularly. I also added ice which helped. I found the best option was when I mixed ECBP/EC12 1:1. It amped up the flavor of the EC12.

...to add to my previous statement...have you ever had Stagg? If so, how did you like it? It's about the closest thing I can think of to ECBP mainly based on the richness of both pours.

no, Ive never tried stagg. it too is hard to find. to the degree that i disliked this stuff, i may just trade it off for something else.

Ive had EC12 before, but remember nothing like this. i really dont think that there is enough time to let this air out.

smokinjoe......you know, you may be onto something with the overaged/overoaked thing. at 12 years, i wouldnt have though of overaged, but since my regulars are from 4-9, it's possible.

suntour, it is the second batch, 137 proof.

I have heard other people say similar things. Our tastes are very similar so I have not purchased it. I'm sure I will try it some day and see for myself but there are too many other bourbons I currently want to worry about ECBP.

This happens to me occasionally as I'm sure it does to others. Tastes change and so on. Maybe come back to it in a month or so and see.

The second batch has a heavier grassy, green, fresh cut hay type note as compared to batch 1. Do you think you're possibly turned off by that?

edit: hmm...weird. It quoted someone else's post. I meant to quite 393foureyedfox's post in the above.

Edited by hn4bourbon

The good news...swear it is the worst thing I have ever bought.

(My edit.) You are one really lucky bourbon drinker if EC BP is the worst thing you ever bought. The good news is you have high class problems, my friend! Reminds me of the woman I know who said her trip to Hawaii was ruined because one night the maid forgot to put a chocolate on the pillow.)

I found that I did not like the ECBP (batch 1) neat but when mixed with water - I really enjoyed it. Also, as mentioned many times - let it air out a little. I did not like WR Double Oaked on the first two pours but after letting a sit a week or so - it seemed to get much better. Just sayin...

The good news.....I finally located som ECBP recently, not only one, but three. Being the nice guy I am, I took only one, and left the others for other seekers. I had a cold at the time, so it sat here for a bit, until my head cleared up.

The bad news.....last night I finally cracked it open and had a nice big gulp and.......swear it is the worst thing I have ever bought. I truly hope I just got a bad bottle, as the reviews and acclaim on here about it is almost unanimous. If it werent sealed around the neck with plastic, Id have sworn someone put bourbon colored paint thinner in it. The nose is wrong, the taste is wrong, the feel is wrong, and the aftertaste makes me reach for anything nearby to rinse my mouth. What a disappointment after searching most of the year for one of these.

Its not the proof thats the problem, my favorites are high proofers (120 KC and 125-130 Bookers). I keep thinking its tainted with something, but it was sealed. Maybe its just not my kinda thing. I also dont like most 4R stuff, but I dont find them repulsive like this, just bland.

has anyone else had an experience like this?

You wont hear me complain anymore about not being able to find any....even if they were priced the same at $10, id grab the HH BIB over this. I cant put my finger on what it is, but its not good in any sense(to me).

now you can tell me that i am nuts and dont know what im talking about...but if this were the only bourbon available, id quit entirely.

Now that you've found a bottle and hate it, Iguess this takes me off the hook, then! :lol:

Hey there four eyed fox! That is exactly the way I felt when I got my bottle of the first batch. Meh. Tasted weird to me with a strange aftertaste. Too sweet or something. I've had it since April I think. The other day I had a short pour with a splash of water (not much). I thought it wasn't too bad this time. Might try mixing it with a little EW BIB for grins. But it's not my favorite either. Far from it. Would rather have OGD 114 all day. Or Booker's.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.