What rye are you drinking Fall 2013/Winter 2014

michaelturtle1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I know I'm a little late, but it looks like a party at Eric's house! Nice rye you have there, well done sir.

Actually my gracious hosts were Jon and Dawn. We joined forces for the tasting. It was excellent. Some BMH 23 and ORVW Old Time Rye made appearances as well.

Edited by Old Dusty

mardi gras called for rye, I finished a bottle of VWRR, had a few HW 21, then sazaracs with wt101 (new) and HW Double Rye Hungarian finish (Binnys exclusive) THe HWDR Hungarian made an amazing sazarac.

Drinking some Smooth Ambler Old Scout 8yr Cask Strength Rye (62.1% abv if I remember correctly) bottled for The Party Source in Covington KY, and it's fantastic. It went down quite nice neat at full strength - no burn - but I added some water anyway just to see what would happen (and to slow down my consumption) and it takes water well. This is the bottle my brother-in-law brought me. Lucky for me, I bought the same (as in age and cask strength) from Astor around the same time so it's good to know I have a backup.

Hirsch 22 - as good as it is, this one is often underrated. Goes great in a 2:1 vatting with Saz18:Hirsch22.

Hirsch 22 - as good as it is, this one is often underrated. Goes great in a 2:1 vatting with Saz18:Hirsch22.

+1. Since you "invented" this, should we call it the Bayou Bengal vatting?:grin:

+1. Since you "invented" this, should we call it the Bayou Bengal vatting?:grin:
Or in honor of Coach Miles we can call him the Mad Vatter.

LMAO - Mad Vatter... I like it! But do I have to wear my funnel high on my head and clap like a two year old?

ebuhete3.jpg turkey 3 way tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm salivating - need to pour something stat!

LMAO - Mad Vatter... I like it! But do I have to wear my funnel high on my head and clap like a two year old?

Out back, and a pour of HW DoubleRye paired with RP Connecticut is quite the pleasant duo, tonight. Or, is that trio...:D

Actually my gracious hosts were Jon and Dawn. We joined forces for the tasting. It was excellent. Some BMH 23 and ORVW Old Time Rye made appearances as well.

Sounds like a great night! I have always been curious, how was the Old Time Rye? What would it most compare to? Thanks for your help, never had the chance to try it.

I figured the Taylor would be an appropriate follow up to what was a fantastic pour of SB blend. A couple of fingers should do it...

Knob Creek rye.

This may be the worst rye I've ever tasted. Totally lacking in rye spiciness, its hot (young*), and expensive.

*is this even straight rye? If not, anyone know the approx age?

Sounds like a great night! I have always been curious, how was the Old Time Rye? What would it most compare to? Thanks for your help, never had the chance to try it.

Dan, its 90 proof and not the same as the VWFRR. I think it's all Medley and Julian then combined that distillate with Cream of Ky to form the VW. I would say its a little fruitier and less complex and "bourbony" than the VW. But my palate was kind of toasted by then after all the high proof ryes. Hope to taste it again sometime on its own. I think the Hirsch 13 rye is the same distillate if you could ever find one. Otherwise I don't think there is a direct comparison. Everything else is older or higher proof or both.

Dan, its 90 proof and not the same as the VWFRR. I think it's all Medley and Julian then combined that distillate with Cream of Ky to form the VW. I would say its a little fruitier and less complex and "bourbony" than the VW. But my palate was kind of toasted by then after all the high proof ryes. Hope to taste it again sometime on its own. I think the Hirsch 13 rye is the same distillate if you could ever find one. Otherwise I don't think there is a direct comparison. Everything else is older or higher proof or both.

Thanks for the notes, Eric! I will keep an eye out for the Hirsch 13 rye, but I will have to admit that I didn't even know it existed! I have tried the Hirsch 22 and 25, never even seen a Hirsch 13 rye.

Thanks for the notes, Eric! I will keep an eye out for the Hirsch 13 rye, but I will have to admit that I didn't even know it existed! I have tried the Hirsch 22 and 25, never even seen a Hirsch 13 rye.

H13 rye will be almost impossible to find! Never seen one for sale. Had the chance to enjoy some pours thanks to someone very special. It was fantastic.

Good luck. :)

Edit: image by Kevin

utaje8ar.jpg

Edited by tigerlam92

Having some AE rye tonight. I don't know if ppl crap on this stuff or not but I do know that this bottle is going FAST. It doesn't tickle the same spot that the ultra-aged ryes do but it tickles all the other spots.

Thanks, and thanks for posting the pic, very cool label! I know I will probably never see one for sale and if I did, I would never pay THAT much for one. But I always enjoy the tasting notes from those of you that have tried these rare ryes.

Willett 4 yr at 110 proof to cap off smaller tastings of Whistle Pig 100 proof and the EH Taylor Rye.

Having some AE rye tonight. I don't know if ppl crap on this stuff or not but I do know that this bottle is going FAST. It doesn't tickle the same spot that the ultra-aged ryes do but it tickles all the other spots.

WT 101 the new liter bottle stuff. I like it has a nice nose and flavor. I hear people saying the older is better, but you hear that about almost everything.

Ted

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!