What rye are you drinking Fall 2013/Winter 2014

michaelturtle1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Pulled out that scintillating looking, PET plastic, family sized, old paper labelled, jug of Fleischmann's Rye. :D For as dumpy the packaging looks, the whiskey always delivers such a clean, fresh, crisp flavor. With all of the adjustments that BT is doing with their brands, I really hope they find a place for the Barton distilled rye in their portfolio. It would be a shame for it to go away completely.

I really hope they find a place for the Barton distilled rye in their portfolio. It would be a shame for it to go away completely.

I don't normally drink during the week but taking the day off tomorrow so enjoying a few pours tonight. My wife suggested bourbon but after looking at all of the great bottles of bourbon I have (not great compared to some folks' bottles but great for me), I opted for rye tonight. I opted to work on a bottle of High West Double Rye. I have really enjoyed this bottle and the price was right ($32.99).

I would put it on the same level as Jeff 10 and a level above Baby Saz and Ritt BIB. That said, I would probably only buy another bottle when it is on sale.

Went to KySalesReps house for a lil rye tasting last night. Lets see if I can remember what was offered up...HW21, Jeffersons 21, a couple of older WFEs, Ritt 23 and 25, Old Scout 8 yr BP, Michters 25, Hirsch 22 and 25, Wisers Legacy. Probably forgetting something. Also had an appearance of Bookers 25th and SB HHSS. Great night with a great guy, sharing some tremendous pours. Thanks again, Dan!

Glad you got to come over last night Sean! And thanks again for bringing the HHSS for me to sample, it is awesome! We will have to do it again sometime soon when it warms up and invite a few more SB'ers over :grin:.

Went to KySalesReps house for a lil rye tasting last night. Lets see if I can remember what was offered up...HW21, Jeffersons 21, a couple of older WFEs, Ritt 23 and 25, Old Scout 8 yr BP, Michters 25, Hirsch 22 and 25, Wisers Legacy. Probably forgetting something. Also had an appearance of Bookers 25th and SB HHSS. Great night with a great guy, sharing some tremendous pours. Thanks again, Dan!

All these amazing drinks just between you two. That must be wonderful and great drinking!

The best part was just hanging out and sharing some great pours! We finally got around to playing some old school arcade games at the end of the night. I think this will have to be a regular get together.

Hope you like the sorghum, Joe. Let me know if you would like some more, I can bring some to Bardstown in April if you are planning to be there.

It's on like Donkey Kong! Saz18. Top that my Bluegrass brethren!:grin:

Edit: and I mean right this minute, not the all-star lineup you had on Sat.

Edited by Old Dusty

It's on like Donkey Kong! Saz18. Top that my Bluegrass brethren!:grin:

Edit: and I mean right this minute, not the all-star lineup you had on Sat.

:bowdown:

I got nothing else...

I've been working on a WTRR this week and am one or two pours from the demise of this bottle. This bottle never stabilized after opening and continues to confound me. Seemed to find a sweet spot 2-4 weeks after the opening pour, but I'm sad to say that its been all downhill from there.

Moved on to the CEHT. Fair nose, good mouth feel, balanced finish. A couple of fingers will serve well as an appropriate nightcap.

Really? If I were to recommend one of the LDI ryes to someone not liking Ritt, it would be the Dickel - it's inexpensive and carries all the flavor elements of the Willett. However, I'd probably suggest keeping the Ritt in the rotation and decide after finishing the bottle. Sometimes it takes a while to appreciate something different.

Edited by MauiSon

Really? If I were to recommend one of the LDI ryes to someone not liking Ritt, it would be the Dickel - it's inexpensive and carries all the flavor elements of the Willett. However, I'd probably suggest keeping the Ritt in the rotation and decide after finishing the bottle. Sometimes it takes a while to appreciate something different.

Well, I admittedly didn't spend much time thinking about it, but sure, Willett popped into my head, and I stand by my suggestion. :) But Dickel is fine too. Plenty of other good options also.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!