What rye are you drinking Fall 2013/Winter 2014

michaelturtle1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Really? If I were to recommend one of the LDI ryes to someone not liking Ritt, it would be the Dickel - it's inexpensive and carries all the flavor elements of the Willett. However, I'd probably suggest keeping the Ritt in the rotation and decide after finishing the bottle. Sometimes it takes a while to appreciate something different.

I second this. The first rye I tried was Ritt and found it to be truly awful and turned me off rye for quite some time. Now I love ryes and Dickel is my first pour every Friday Night. I have yet to return to Rittenhouse, but may give it another try if I see it at a bar now that my palate has evolved.

I have not given up on rye, just a little surprised by the spice and burn. Sort of like when I first started drinking bourbon, didn't take long to fall in love with it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

The Dickel is a pretty smooth introductory rye in my opinion....an easy drinker, with nice balance and a easy on the pocketbook price.

Started off the day with some HW 21, very tasty! I'm thinking maybe going with Saz 18 next....

So I did go with the Saz 18 as a second pour, now finishing my rye flight with one of my favs, V21.

Last night at a bar had some Saz 18 fall 2013, $8 a class. Very good

That's a great price!!

No bourbon today. Just a little rye to warm up. Started with a pour of Jeff10. Batch 11, NCF, Canadian. Not a special rye but really good. I haven't had a pour for a while. Now I remember why I like it.

Is baby saz a limited release or seasonal allocation? I've never bought a rye whiskey before but decided to test it out. Went to 5 stores yesterday and none had it. For kicks I checked one store online and their availability showed Nov 2014 as the next batch, but that made me think they were confusing it with saz 18. So to all you in the know on saz rye, what's the story with it?

Is baby saz a limited release or seasonal allocation? I've never bought a rye whiskey before but decided to test it out. Went to 5 stores yesterday and none had it. For kicks I checked one store online and their availability showed Nov 2014 as the next batch, but that made me think they were confusing it with saz 18. So to all you in the know on saz rye, what's the story with it?

Limited in terms of small amounts dribbled onto the market. There are times when it seems to hang around, and others where it comes and goes, or never comes.

Be patient, a good value rye it is. Worth waiting, and buy 2-3 when found.

B

Limited in terms of small amounts dribbled onto the market. There are times when it seems to hang around, and others where it comes and goes, or never comes.

Be patient, a good value rye it is. Worth waiting, and buy 2-3 when found.

B

If it remains below the $30 price point it is a pretty good deal. Not sure how long that will be the case though. It appeared a bunch landed in Atlanta in the last few months but it is getting harder to find again as I recall.

Working from home today due to the bad weather that came in last night, so after shoveling some snow, THH 2013 sound just right.

Working from home today due to the bad weather that came in last night, so after shoveling some snow, THH 2013 sound just right.

Same drink I'm enjoy this evening. Fantastic stuff.

Having a second pour of RITTBIB DSP-1 right now. This bottle has one more good pour in it but there are 4 more in the bunker.

Had a few ounces left in my bottle of Willett 24/94 barrel 446, so I was able to get three sample jars filled and had a little extra. Love this stuff so much...

post-9650-14489820588486_thumb.jpg

This is for Johnny (ChainWhip). Thanks for the sample! Serious Rye Love tonight.

post-9650-14489820588486_thumb.jpg

That looks like a night of epic rye tasting you all had there! I'm happy that it was enjoyed in good company.

A little VWFRR tonight. Long day at work and something nice tonight seemed to be in order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a few ounces left in my bottle of Willett 24/94 barrel 446, so I was able to get three sample jars filled and had a little extra. Love this stuff so much...

James Pepper 1776 15 years old. Outstanding! Creamy with notes of orange oil and restrained wood and char. Very balanced yet sprightly, goes down like a spring freshet. The best straight rye I've ever had along with the original BMH 18 year old rye and the first bottlings of VWFRR 13 years old - but different to each. You can tell the Lawrenceburg origin, there is the faintest hint of the "Blue Cheer" you get in the younger ryes as e.g. Bulleit's.

Gary

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!