What rye are you drinking Fall 2013/Winter 2014

michaelturtle1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

'13 bottle or earlier?

2013. I would love to have some of the earlier VWFRR, but I have only been into bourbon/rye for about a year, so mostly new stuff for me. I dream about walking into a store that time forgot and finding some of the old rye in the squat bottle that I have seen pictured in the stash thread. But then I wake up, knowing that's not gonna happen :grin:.

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Dusty

• ChainWhip

• KySalesRep

• Paddy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just wanna know where you found a 2013 bottle!

Maybe he knows somebody who works at BT?

I kid I kid :-)

So... How is it?

Sorry for the fire drill guys! The bottle I am drinking from was purchased in the Spring of this year, probably held back from last year, 2012. Didn't connect those dots when OD asked me, sorry! Been a long day today, driving about 300 miles in the rain, kinda zoned out on you guys. 20 lashes with a wet noodle for me!

Sequential pours of Jeff 10 UCF'd and now Whistle Pig is next up to bat,100% Canadian sourced is something that I don't pour often enough but it is fitting the bill quite nicely tonight.

I know, I know. I guess I should just banish myself and vow never to drink any old rye for at least a year. But I think we all know that won't last more than a couple of days :grin:. I will just try to pay more attention next time, sorry for letting you guys down!

I know, I know. I guess I should just banish myself and vow never to drink any old rye for at least a year. But I think we all know that won't last more than a couple of days :grin:. I will just try to pay more attention next time, sorry for letting you guys down!

Saz18. Scored two new bottles today so now I can stop nursing the one I've had since last year. mighty fine.

I'm drinking a freshly-purchased bottle of baby Saz. It's the first one I've bought in at least four years. I stayed away because with the exception of some unique bottlings from Binny's or TPS, baby Saz had an off-putting, vegetal flavor. Plus, I remembered it tasting an awful lot like bourbon. But, it'd been a long time and since I'm not bothering to chase the BTACs or any other limited stuff this season, I figured I'd give it a shot.

And I've been very happily surprised. The grassy funk is gone and although it still isn't the rye-iest rye I've ever encountered (maybe that's a function of age?), it's definitely tasty. It's a big step up from the LDI/MGP stuff I've been drinking lately, as well as the E.H. Taylor Rye that cost twice as much. I guess I just like a little corn in my rye. It cost me $32 and for a moment I balked, remembering that it used to cost me about $26. But I'm enjoying it more than the $72 Taylor or the $40 Willett that are open alongside it, so suddenly $32 doesn't seem out of line. If my local store has any more available, I have a feeling I'll be going back for more when this one's empty.

I'm drinking a freshly-purchased bottle of baby Saz. It's the first one I've bought in at least four years. I stayed away because with the exception of some unique bottlings from Binny's or TPS, baby Saz had an off-putting, vegetal flavor. Plus, I remembered it tasting an awful lot like bourbon. But, it'd been a long time and since I'm not bothering to chase the BTACs or any other limited stuff this season, I figured I'd give it a shot.

And I've been very happily surprised. The grassy funk is gone and although it still isn't the rye-iest rye I've ever encountered (maybe that's a function of age?), it's definitely tasty. It's a big step up from the LDI/MGP stuff I've been drinking lately, as well as the E.H. Taylor Rye that cost twice as much. I guess I just like a little corn in my rye. It cost me $32 and for a moment I balked, remembering that it used to cost me about $26. But I'm enjoying it more than the $72 Taylor or the $40 Willett that are open alongside it, so suddenly $32 doesn't seem out of line. If my local store has any more available, I have a feeling I'll be going back for more when this one's empty.

The baby Saz works nicely in Manhattans. I had been using Willet 4 yr 110 proof and Old Scout 99 proof. They were too strong. The 90 proof and the baby Saz flavor profile makes a very good Manhattan.
CL, I totally agree with you that the barrel proof Willett is a bit much in a cocktail. The baby Saz is a step up. I finally took the plunge and laid out the money for a jar of Luxardo cherries (painful but worth it). Between the baby Saz, a Luxardo cherry and a few splashes of orange bitters, it made for a hell of a Manhattan. Are you using Angostura bitters in yours? They've been my go-to but these Fee Brothers orange bitters have me reconsidering. Non-traditional but tasty.
Having a pour of THH 2013. This time I'm sure it's the 2013 vintage, no mistakes tonight! :grin:

Cheers! ( message too short blah blah blah)

Just felt like being a bit different tonight, so AE Rye it is......... and I think I made the right choice.

Only tasted the AE rye once-not shipped to Hoosierland, but wow-dessert in a glass. A real different animal.

Thanks guys! Gotta make fun of ourselves from time to time, all in good humor :grin:. Cheers to you as well!

Had a tiny, tiny sip of Hirsch 22 at the end of the work day. Very different from anything I've had and I found it difficult to describe with my existing palate vocabulary. Looking forward to revisiting in a few days.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!