What rye are you drinking Fall 2013/Winter 2014

michaelturtle1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A more than gracious fellow SB'er provided me with a sample of Lock Stock and Barrel this evening,while I feel this truly is a rather great whiskey,it is not worth to me the price it commands.I am a huge WP fan and the lines obviously run very parallel with these two whiskies,the LS&B is definitely superior but not to the point of costing nearly twice as much.I would love to see this whiskey priced in the $80 slot,but at $115-125 it's a pass for me.

A little impromptu rye tasting today featuring the top swine against several noteworthy competitors. I must confess that the Boss Hog is pretty darn good. Not a blind test but it finished first among all three tasters today. The surprise was how nice a newly opened bottle of Masterson's rye Batch 3 was. Just about as good as the Boss Hog at less than half the price. Presuming you can still find Batch 3. Don't know if other batches were quite as good. Lock, Stock and Barrel came in a fairly surprising third as if the flavor has slipped away with the bottle open now for a few weeks, with the standard WP tasting rather bland by comparison and finishing a distant fourth.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16917[/ATTACH]

Unfortunately this little impromptu tasting kept me from trying out the new WR malts. Will hopefully get to that soon.

This pour is in honor of AaronWF & smknjoe for encouraging me to come back to the shores of the US of A:

10957567954_973c52ac5f_z.jpg

Sorta keeping in the "dead distillery" theme :)

this didn't get proper attention in my opinion :bigeyes:

yes please.

Willett 5yo. First sip impression - this is the first rye I've tried that doesn't contain any pepper notes. Instead, I find the palate starts mildly sweet with floral notes, leading to an interesting herbal (mostly mint) effervescence effect, finishing dry with some chewiness. This is the highest proof I've tasted @ 110. Qualifies for an immediate second pour.

Edited by MauiSon

Thanking the good lord it is Friday with some Ritt BIB. Absolutely love this whiskey (and even more so for the price!)

Enjoying a pour of Russell's Reserve 6 yr. I think the height of the bottle makes it easy to get lost in the cabinet, as it's been many moons since this has seen the inside of a Glencairn.

Had a small sampling of a few ryes today (1/2 to 1 ounce each)...High West Double Rye (which I bought today), Jefferson 10 Year (NCF) (which I already had) and then earlier, at the store, a sampling of Bone Snapper (which I believe is only available in Indiana).

Enjoyed the HW DR and Jeff. Bone Snapper was interesting. It is LDI juice that is aged only 24 months. It actually tasted good. It was 108 proof. Not sure if I would buy it (price was $28.99) since there are other ryes in the same price range that I prefer more.

Just picked up some Ritt BIB yesterday! Amazing stuff!!! Glad I gound a store that stocks it. For those folks keeping track, this bottle was DSP-354 juice.

Edited by jonnyd

Just picked up some Ritt BIB yesterday! Amazing stuff!!! Glad I gound a store that stocks it. For those folks keeping track, this bottle was DSP-354 juice.

I'd recommend trying to find a DSP-1 for comparative purposes (hopefully you'll like it as well, but if not - stock up on the 354 while you can!)

Jeffersons UCF'd,WP 100 and the LS&B,the LS&B took the clear win for me but I can't bite on it fully considering the price point.

I'm drinking some VWFRR from the recent release. Man, has this stuff gone downhill!!! Seriously, any rye drinkers who bought this but haven't opened it yet, don't bother. PM me for my address and you can dispose of it promptly by sending it my way. I'll even reimburse you for the shipping. Just because, you know, I probably sang its praises in the past and maybe you bought it because of the praises... But seriously... shadow of it's former self, etc. I'm taking strays.

Some Hirsch 25yr. and I can honestly say it REALLY works for me!

Agree 100%. It's a pretty lady. Gotta listen close but very pretty

That one was my choice of the Van Winkle line and it was the only one that wasn't SW made.

Had some Ritt BIB (DSP-1 & DSP-354), WTR101, and Jefferson's 10yr as part of a blind rye tasting (details in another thread for anyone interested). Jeff10 was clearly the best, but was (pleasantly) surprised to find I liked the DSP-1 over the WTR101 - at least today. If asked what I thought the results would have been, I would have pegged the WTR101 to come in 2nd over the DSP-1 (and it did go back/forth a bit). Constant reminder to myself to taste blind :)

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?21174-WT101-Rye-Returns&p=381964&viewfull=1#post381964

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!