Foreign Whisky of the Month - 10/2013: Clynelish

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Happy Fall, or here in the PacNW, WINTER! Within just a couple weeks of our highest temperature of the summer we were already getting more rain and cool weather than I can ever remember for a September. And now that we are into October we've had days barely into the 50s, so here is hoping Clynelish will serve as a Winter warmer of a Single Malt because it is the Foreign Whisky of the Month.

I need to go shopping since I don't have any on hand, but am anxious to try it!

One of my favorite Highland malts is the standard 14 Yr Clynelish. This is a wonderful sipper for fall and winter. I was fortunate enough to obtain a 25yr independent bottling of a 1982 vintage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Before I started to get more into scotch I got a JW Gold. It's heavy on the Clynelish and very tasty. I had some of the 14 in a bar and enjoyed that. The flavor is pretty unique. I should grab a bottle.

It's been a few years now, but if the distillery has remained consistent, you just can't go wrong with the Clynelish 14 at around $50. It's a high quality malt and I think it's a great scotch for a bourbon drinker.

I bought a bottle of the Distiller's Edition a month or two ago. So far I've been quite underwhelmed. I'll revisit and repost, but my initial impression is that the finish does nothing for the malt.

I have a bottle of the official 14 year that's been open for about a year. Still smells like a sacristy (incense, candle wax, communion wine, old books). Great stuff and worth savoring.

I bought a bottle of the 14 but was not initially impressed with the finish - too woody - almost bitter. But as the months rolled by and the bottle slowly emptied, the finish has improved dramatically. It was on my do-not-buy list but is now back on my shopping list. However, I will be keeping my empty bottle to decant half of the new bottle into in an effort to speed the "aging" process - as with some bourbons. On the palate, this one is very bright - nice fruits and malt. A new favorite when I'm not in the mood for any peat. In fact, I think I'll have some tonight while watching SOA.

I tried looking for the 14 year and so far none of the local Seattle area stores have it listed on their online inventory. Total wine has some sort of 15 year from a label called Berrys (I assume they buy barrels like AD Rattray) but they want $80 before tax for it, so thats around $100 after tax... no thanks! Guess I'll be sticking with the 17 year ADR I picked up though I had wanted to compare it with the standard offering.

I can usually find the standard 14 year old for $45 - I think it is a great SMS that really has a unique mouthfeel - "waxy" is what you often read about it and that is really a great way to describe it. Haven't had any of the older or independent bottlings, but this one is a great value.

Hi

I am a big fan of clynelish, and the regular is a fine expression. I am also not a big fan of the finished version

It is correct that Berrys is and independent bottler like AD Rattray. Ior Semiindependent. They own Glenrothes distillery!

Berry Bros and Rudd is an old wine shop in London. It is actually the oldest still existing shop in London, and absolutely worth a visit, especially if you can get a tour in the cellars below. The place is full of history going back several hundred years, including historic people like Lord Byron, one of the Napoleons, World War two bombings and what not

Steffen

I haven't gotten around to trying, or buying a bottle of Clynelish, but after this thread it sounds like I'll be prying open the wallet very soon. Possibly tomorrow at Park Ave Liquors in NY.

I picked up and opened a bottle of Clynelish 14 last night, and it just hit all the right notes. It was such a relief to get the full finish on this after drinking the DE the night before; the Oloroso seco finish on the DE completely destroys the malt, sucking up all its orange floral waxiness into its dry, over-saturated spongy sherry wood. At $30 more than the 14yo, I can easily say I will never purchase the DE again. I've gone too long without the 14, though, and don't plan on letting that happen again. It's just a tasty, balanced and uniquely well-rounded malt that is all too easy to drink and all too well-priced to ignore.

I haven't gotten around to trying, or buying a bottle of Clynelish, but after this thread it sounds like I'll be prying open the wallet very soon. Possibly tomorrow at Park Ave Liquors in NY.

Isn't that the giant store that has received a bunch of awards? I may have to visit there when I head to NY next month.

I picked up and opened a bottle of Clynelish 14 last night, and it just hit all the right notes. It was such a relief to get the full finish on this after drinking the DE the night before; the Oloroso seco finish on the DE completely destroys the malt, sucking up all its orange floral waxiness into its dry, over-saturated spongy sherry wood. At $30 more than the 14yo, I can easily say I will never purchase the DE again. I've gone too long without the 14, though, and don't plan on letting that happen again. It's just a tasty, balanced and uniquely well-rounded malt that is all too easy to drink and all too well-priced to ignore.

I think I'll echo what Aaron said about the 14 pretty much exactly.

This is the first time I have had any Clynelish, and I have to say, I am very impressed. Here in Oregon the 14 year sells, if you can find it for $47, right off hand I can't think of a whisk(e)y I'd rather buy in the sub $50 range.

Aaron's description of the finish is spot on; citrusy orange floral wax.

Maybe I am crazy, but I almost get a subtle champagne flavor in it on the pallate and buried in the nose, very interesting.

Edited by Virus_Of_Life

bought a bottle of the 14 yr at Total wine, and found it quite approachable. For me scotch is more of an aperitif or a dessert, rather than a main course, and this certainyl fits that bill, sweet, rich, thick.

bought a bottle of the 14 yr at Total wine, and found it quite approachable. For me scotch is more of an aperitif or a dessert, rather than a main course, and this certainyl fits that bill, sweet, rich, thick.

No luck at my local bevmo. Going to try the mom and pop store later this week.

@mtndew - try World of Wines. They had a pretty decent selection if memory serves (I'll leave WA state prices for another discussion). Park Ave liquors is not in fact on Park Ave but it is close to Grand Central Station and is easy to get to if you are in Manhattan. They aren't big in square footage but they have a very good selection including lots of independent and unusual bottlings. Well worth a detour. (and just to be clear I have no interest in either store - I've just bought whiskies from both of them).

I picked up two bottles of the DE edition and was equally disappointed. One of the great trademarks of Clynelish is the waxy mouthfeel and that was completely missing in the DE.

Clynelish 14 OB & G&M (Connoisseur's Choice) Brora 1982/24yr... I get the family resemblance between these two malts & the OB bottling really holds up well against the G&M Brora. The salt/brine is really coming through for me and the freshly cut young guava on the nose is alluring.

I may need to hunt down an OB peated Brora to properly research this subject ;-)

Edited by ChainWhip

The obtainable IB Broras almost always tend to be from the 80's when the product was more (new) Clynelish-like rather than having the unique farmy characteristics of 70's Brora. The 80's are still pretty special bottles and probably have more appeal to a wider audience, though I enjoyed the dirty tasting stuff.

While most of the 70's Broras tend toward farmy and peaty, the distillate from the early 70's is the heavily peated from the period where Islay couldn't keep up with demand and Brora was used to fill the gap. Up until '73 is considered some of the best peated whisky ever to be produced - prepare to pay though.

I may need to hunt down an OB peated Brora to properly research this subject ;-)

A little inspiration for you - this is about half the family

Edited by p_elliott

A little inspiration for you - this is about half the family

This is turning into one of those "pants optional" threads

=]b

Edited by ChainWhip

This is turning into one of those "pants optional" threads

=]b

I thought that was all of the threads. Boy, am I embarrassed.

I did it! I'm in DE right now for business and I found a bottle of Cynelish 14 for $42... so much more reasonable than the $90+ I was going to have to spend in state. I'm going to wait to open the October foreign whiskey of the month until I get home which, ironically, is in November. However, I will still get to try it so I'm counting that as participation! :)

I think he'll be alright waiting... His palate is going to have to recover after he goes over to Mike's place anyway.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.